Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 8, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #61,741 of 151,047
No!!! Make PCT watch Mamma Mia, but only the parts that feature Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth singing....

I say this as a man who loves Abba and that movie!

Those two are terrific actors but terrible singers.....

Unfortunately, I can beat that.....
If you really want to plumb the depths of the worst 'music' ever, this takes some beating. ( 'Agadoo' by Black Lace comes close though...)
This shows just how bad things got in the UK pop industry. It was a Christmas number 1 in 1993!
Bad as it is, I still think that donning Engelbert's full garb is an even more draconian punishment for PCT than the Mr Blobby outfit.

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #61,742 of 151,047
This sounds flattering, and I agree it IS flattering. But of all people, exactly Mike may have mixed feelings when he hears this, because it sounds too close to the name of the digital filter in the DACs from Theta Digital's big competitor at the time (Wadia named their digital filter "digimaster").
yes, what happened with WADIA? They are still alive?, last thing I remember was that iPod dock thing with DAC/digital pre amp in the same small size I believe ...

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #61,743 of 151,047
yes, what happened with WADIA? They are still alive?, last thing I remember was that iPod dock thing with DAC/digital pre amp in the same small size I believe ...

Wadia still exists officially, but there have not been any new products introduced for a long time. The original designers of the Wadia equipment started a new company, Exogal. Good products I believe, but you hardly see them anywhere. I guess that's what you get when you start a new small audio company but miss Jason's marketing genius.

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #61,744 of 151,047
Wow, Pietro, the punishment severity is increasing. First it was ABBA, then Boney M and now Engelbert Humperdinck. Ooh the pain. I couldn't tolerate even the ABBA :)

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #61,745 of 151,047
Wow, Pietro, the punishment severity is increasing. First it was ABBA, then Boney M and now Engelbert Humperdinck. Ooh the pain. I couldn't tolerate even the ABBA :)

Can Mantovani and Ray Conniff be far behind???!?!?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #61,746 of 151,047
The original designers of the Wadia equipment started a new company, Exogal.

Official audio providers to the Sith?
Emperor-Palpatine-Star-Wars-The-Rise-of-Skywalker-Leaked-Pic.jpg

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #61,748 of 151,047
Tiny Tim, FTW... :D

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #61,749 of 151,047
Wadia still exists officially, but there have not been any new products introduced for a long time. The original designers of the Wadia equipment started a new company, Exogal. Good products I believe, but you hardly see them anywhere. I guess that's what you get when you start a new small audio company but miss Jason's marketing genius.

I could never own their products. The kerning on their DAC display makes the word MAIN look like "MAI N". Not only does that offend me as a graphic designer and font nerd, but that lack of attention to detail makes me wonder what else they may have overlooked in their design.

The apocryphal story of rock excess that deranged rock stars wanted a bowl of smarties in the dressing room with no green smarties was actually related - if the crew overlooked that detail, what else might they have missed?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #61,750 of 151,047
Tiny Tim, FTW... :D

I'm not going to find a link, but the story goes that Lou Reed couldn't get out of his record contract so he recorded the worst music he could as a f*you. The result was Metal Machine Music. Pretty much unlistenable.

At least Tiny Tim charted with that tune. MMM not so much...

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #61,751 of 151,047
I'm not going to find a link, but the story goes that Lou Reed couldn't get out of his record contract so he recorded the worst music he could as a f*you. The result was Metal Machine Music. Pretty much unlistenable.
Yet there are plenty of people my age who, when that record came out, listened to both sides over and over trying to figure out what we had missed... :)

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #61,752 of 151,047
Jul 8, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #61,753 of 151,047
Yet there are plenty of people my age who, when that record came out, listened to both sides over and over trying to figure out what we had missed... :)
I like some of Lou Reed's music. For those songs I don't like, I'm happy in my belief I missed out on whatever drugs he had which made him think it sounded good.

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #61,754 of 151,047

Mike Oldfield had a similar situation with Richard Branson of Virgin. He even put in Morse Code telling Branson to, uh, stick it, in Amarok, and it is said that some of his later albums for Virgin were intentionally bad.

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #61,755 of 151,047

Users who are viewing this thread

Back