Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 8, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #61,756 of 150,607
I like some of Lou Reed's music. For those songs I don't like, I'm happy in my belief I missed out on whatever drugs he had which made him think it sounded good.
Not a Lou Reed fan, eh? That's OK. There is always the Cowsills. :wink:

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #61,757 of 150,607
I'm not going to find a link, but the story goes that Lou Reed couldn't get out of his record contract so he recorded the worst music he could as a f*you. The result was Metal Machine Music. Pretty much unlistenable.

At least Tiny Tim charted with that tune. MMM not so much...

I bought a copy of MMM a couple years ago and listened to it. I kind of like it, though I am still amused that I probably listened to the album a few minutes longer than was necessary.

I was playing games or doing work or something while listening and I noticed that it had become quite rhythmic. It took me awhile to realize it was a 1.8 second loop on repeat... and that I reached the end which was a loop on the runout track.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #61,758 of 150,607
Of course you're right.
@Randolf711 : Sorry for the somewhat snarky reaction to your question.
Why did I do it anyhow?
Jason and Mike are trying for years now to partition the flow to each others dynamic and knowledge but posters just do what they want.
Once i a while you'll see Jason write. For a sensible interaction about x,y,z, go to Mike's page because it's his project.
So once again, it was not against you. Tonight I will expose myself to 17 minutes of Engelbert Humperdink so we kan scratch this misdemeanor from my list.
Lonely is a man without Love.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #61,760 of 150,607
1594239291471.png

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #61,762 of 150,607
I have no freakin' idea'r, but I had a girl friend once that was into .... whatever this is.
Brutal Punishment!

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #61,763 of 150,607
Wow, Pietro, the punishment severity is increasing. First it was ABBA, then Boney M and now Engelbert Humperdinck. Ooh the pain. I couldn't tolerate even the ABBA :)
That's why our punitive system only has those three.
Adding to it will be a long endless road with loads of filibustering.
So we keep it this way. The system is like us. Inflexible.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #61,764 of 150,607
I'd need one 20 something feet long... But seriously a Jotunheim minus the amp section plus a remote would be an AWESOME preamp... Small size that would fit my shelf and it would have 1 set of balanced and 1 set of SE outputs. Think of it as a Maxi SYS with REMOTE!
balanced plus SE outs implies that some sort of balanced-to-SE and / or SE-to-balanced conversion is needed. get a Freya S and a bigger shelf or mount the Freya S on its end outside your existing shelf (next to your PC mid-tower case)

true balanced requires twice the number of relays as Saga for remote volume control. won't fit in that tiny enclosure.

if your usage case requires the small footprint and exclusively balanced (XLR) connections, why not run two sagas (one for left channel, one for right channel) with custom cabling to split the 3-pin XLR into two RCA's? use the IR remote to adjust both channels simultaneously.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #61,766 of 150,607
if your usage case requires the small footprint and exclusively balanced (XLR) connections, why not run two sagas (one for left channel, one for right channel) with custom cabling to split the 3-pin XLR into two RCA's? use the IR remote to adjust both channels simultaneously.

...and you have a balance control that is lacking in the Saga/Freya! :wink:

ed

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #61,767 of 150,607
balanced plus SE outs implies that some sort of balanced-to-SE and / or SE-to-balanced conversion is needed. get a Freya S and a bigger shelf or mount the Freya S on its end outside your existing shelf (next to your PC mid-tower case)

true balanced requires twice the number of relays as Saga for remote volume control. won't fit in that tiny enclosure.

I don't care about Balanced to SE, just 1 set of balanced in/out and 1 set of SE in/out no conversion although without the amp section components I'm sure it would fit no problem, I'm not even going to answer the other horse schiit...

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #61,769 of 150,607
That just places another potentiometer in the signal path.
@Ableza not with dual Sagas running in non-differential balanced mode.
I don't care about Balanced to SE, just 1 set of balanced in/out and 1 set of SE in/out no conversion although without the amp section components I'm sure it would fit no problem, I'm not even going to answer the other horse schiit...

@yonson but you want SE in and balanced out? do you need voltage gain, or just passive?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back