Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 24, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #61,232 of 151,033
As for the DAC, I might wait and see. I’m in Canada and so it’s not quite so easy for me to utilize the return period (high shipping rates).
even more reason to go for bstock
try the saga, you can always roll tube after, many many experts here, master of tubes is bcowen i believe. He can hear the thickness of the glass :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 24, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #61,233 of 151,033
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 24, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #61,235 of 151,033
Jun 24, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #61,238 of 151,033
For a DAC, consider Modius for $199, Modi Multibit for $249, or Bifrost 2 for $699. Modius and Bifrost 2 are the same footprint (for stacking) as Saga series with 9" width. the chrome cast unit is likely using a D/S (delta-sigma) DAC chip, if you like that kind of sound. The Multibit DACs are a bit reminiscent of the older philips CD players (the ones with TDA1451, before the 1-bit models were introduced), but with improved sound, IMO.

The Chromecast Audio carries a AK4430 DAC chip. It's decent, but IMHO what even the lowly Modi Multibit produces is much fuller. less brittle, and more musical than with a CCA doing the conversion.

Would suspect even a plain Modi will be a bit nicer than the CCA's onboard DAC, but I haven't listened to one of those.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #61,239 of 151,033
I have a Saga +. The difference in tube mode is very slight. The Freya would be more susceptible to sound changes from tube rolling.
My Saga + is my first preamp and first tube amp. The difference in tube mode is slight but noticable. The remote is very handy (no pun intended).

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #61,240 of 151,033
I have not heard any of the Saga preamps, but Jason Stoddard I believe said that he liked it (Saga original) better than Freya (original). The original Saga also measures very well as far as being quiet. I haven't compared the specs between the old Saga and new Saga+. Most people said that Saga did not sound very tubey. The original Freya was fairly tubey sounding by most accounts. I have one and really like it. Freya+ in tube mode has a much lower noise floor than Freya, but it is said that Freya+ is not quite as tubey sounding. If you want to play around with tube sound, picking up a used Freya for say $450 isn't a bad way to go either, although Freya+ has had lots of improvements.

I have my original Freya, a Freya S that I picked up used, and have a Freya+ on order (backordered). I'm planning on comparing them when I have all three. I would still vote for you to grab the $199 Saga (original). You can try out some other options down the road, and if you decide to sell Saga, you're not out much money.

Any Saga OG owners want to weigh in on the merits of a $199 Saga OG vs. a $379 Saga+?
I definitely appreciate the suggestion on the $199 saga. This could be the path forward, at least temporarily.

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #61,241 of 151,033
The Chromecast Audio carries a AK4430 DAC chip. It's decent, but IMHO what even the lowly Modi Multibit produces is much fuller. less brittle, and more musical than with a CCA doing the conversion.

Would suspect even a plain Modi will be a bit nicer than the CCA's onboard DAC, but I haven't listened to one of those.
I compared the CCA on-board DAC to my Denon 1612 AVR DAC and preferred the Denon slightly. So I’d expect pretty much what you have said-that I would prefer the Modi slightly. Damn, now should I get a DAC too!?! I feel like I may be entering the belly of the beast by joining this forum. In a good way of course...

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #61,242 of 151,033
even more reason to go for bstock
try the saga, you can always roll tube after, many many experts here, master of tubes is bcowen i believe. He can hear the thickness of the glass :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Good advice. Sometimes I feel the same way about the tubes in my 1974 Traynor guitar head. Hopefully bcowen chimes in.

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #61,243 of 151,033
My Saga + is my first preamp and first tube amp. The difference in tube mode is slight but noticable. The remote is very handy (no pun intended).
That’s great! The pure fun factor of being able to switch between modes is appealing. Do you just set it and forget it or do you prefer different settings for different types of recordings?

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #61,245 of 151,033
I compared the CCA on-board DAC to my Denon 1612 AVR DAC and preferred the Denon slightly. So I’d expect pretty much what you have said-that I would prefer the Modi slightly. Damn, now should I get a DAC too!?! I feel like I may be entering the belly of the beast by joining this forum. In a good way of course...

IMHO, a separate DAC -- especially the bargains from Schiit -- is always a good idea. And you have choices:
  • The D/S Modi - super bargain, and likely better than whatever your integrated players or other components can produce;
  • The Modi Multibit - at $249, it's a significant upgrade in cost, and most probably feel that it's worth the premium;
  • The Modius - a good companion for a Saga in terms of dimensions and feature "fit";
  • The Bifrost 2 - if you can afford one of these, you've future-proofed yourself since it's modular and will almost certainly have very attractive upgrade options over the next few years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back