Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 24, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #61,262 of 150,439
Jun 24, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #61,263 of 150,439
I'd be interested to hear your impressions on the Saga and Vidar system. Have my eyes on both for improving my 2-channel rig. But this is way in the future for me.
I will report back with impressions. Coming from a low end Denon AVR with Audyssey and bass management will be a big change. In some ways I’m worried that I’ll miss the room EQ but also stoked to have my first real stereo amp.

You should also consider used gear. I picked up my sub and my Vidar used and wouldn’t have been able to afford them otherwise.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #61,264 of 150,439
I will report back with impressions. Coming from a low end Denon AVR with Audyssey and bass management will be a big change. In some ways I’m worried that I’ll miss the room EQ but also stoked to have my first real stereo amp.

You should also consider used gear. I picked up my sub and my Vidar used and wouldn’t have been able to afford them otherwise.
Pretty much same here. My 2-channel rig has a Yamaha stereo receiver that I'd like to upgrade to Saga and Vidar. But that will be awhile. I just bought a set of speakers for that rig a few months ago.

I do buy used gear. Speakers and now some Schiit B-stock (not really "used" but close enough). Will definitely keep my eye out for deals and used listings.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #61,265 of 150,439
I definitely appreciate the suggestion on the $199 saga. This could be the path forward, at least temporarily.
I have an OG Saga, and love it. Difference between tube gain and not is slight but noticeable, and it’s dead quiet, and it’s not tubey, but accurate. I don’t need anything else... highly recommend.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #61,266 of 150,439
The Chromecast Audio carries a AK4430 DAC chip. It's decent, but IMHO what even the lowly Modi Multibit produces is much fuller. less brittle, and more musical than with a CCA doing the conversion.

Would suspect even a plain Modi will be a bit nicer than the CCA's onboard DAC, but I haven't listened to one of those.
The CCA was $35. The Modi 3 is $99 and "lowly" Modi Multibit a whopping $249. Why is the CCA's DAC being compared?

The best use of the CCA would be to feed its optical output into one of the Modis.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #61,267 of 150,439
I can recommend, and I apologise in advance, Fvneral Fvkk - Carnal Confessions. It's a much more serious album than the name would suggest. Gothic/doom with a freaking excellent production. It's on Tidal, if nowhere else...
Doom is not my normal cup of tea, for sure, but you're spot on about the production.
Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #61,269 of 150,439
I have the original Saga. Nice features, and a great sounding preamp. Quiet, no noise. The tube effect is subtle, but noticeable, and welcome. Very natural and musical. I love it. For $199, a B-Stock is a steal.

20200606_113051_resized (1).jpg
Ok so what’s going on with your dual tube situation there? I’m intrigued!

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #61,273 of 150,439
I wish I wasn't as OCD about my new equipment being cosmetically pristine - I am missing out on all these cool discounts. I wonder what percentage of these are non-defective returns vs cosmetic imperfections vs schiit found in the back of the storage. It would be interesting to have some feedback from buyers to hear how little or big these cosmetic issues are.

I have to really praise Schiit for being honest with their consumers and labeling things cosmetic imperfections as B-stock. It's also a lot more environment-friendly this way.

I wonder how you survive the first couple of months after you have bought a new car.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #61,275 of 150,439
The Chromecast Audio carries a AK4430 DAC chip. It's decent, but IMHO what even the lowly Modi Multibit produces is much fuller. less brittle, and more musical than with a CCA doing the conversion.

Would suspect even a plain Modi will be a bit nicer than the CCA's onboard DAC, but I haven't listened to one of those.

FWIW I think the dac in the Google CCA is harsh sounding garbage, if you have the ability to use any other external schiit Dac. I own 4 Google CCA's, And 4 schiit dacs.

B stock OG saga is a tremendous value.

Rag 2, just an amp for 1299..... Shut up and just take my money, all my money. Seriously.

I saw an OG Ragnarok on b stock today for 799. Thank God someone caved and pulled the trigger on this before I did.

If more show up I likely won't be able to resist.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back