Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 24, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #61,201 of 150,874
A bit late to this, but just checked the title track, Dystopia, as well as Fatal Iilusion, and it's great on my system. Yes it's DR compressed (like most metal!), but not too much and is clear, clean and punchy. Listened via Spotify > Modi MB > Jotunheim > Oppo PM-3 as well as output to speakers from Jotunheim > Vidar > Vaf DC-2

Thank you for checking this, @Timster .

Fatal Illusion is my favorite track on the album :)

I kinda like the mix, though I feel a higher DR would have let Chris Adler’s drumming shine brighter. Lead guitars clip in almost all tracks for me, though it’s a bit a less noticeable with the new and improved EQ settings from oratory1990. I’ll live with it, as I just really like the music.

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #61,202 of 150,874
Thank you for checking this, @Timster .

Fatal Illusion is my favorite track on the album :)

I kinda like the mix, though I feel a higher DR would have let Chris Adler’s drumming shine brighter. Lead guitars clip in almost all tracks for me, though it’s a bit a less noticeable with the new and improved EQ settings from oratory1990. I’ll live with it, as I just really like the music.
To be honest I have never listened to Megadeth, as not really a fan of "thrash" metal. Even though my general preference is for Metal in various guises, thrash never really did it for me. However this is a great album, and I have listened all the way through today and will give it a few more runs over the next few days.

I agree with you on the DR ... same for so many great albums where they are compressed for digital release to make them "louder" yet the vinyl is DR10 or better. Even so, this album still sounds great. I will listen more critically to see if I am hearing any clipping from the source. Also, to add my original post, I am not running any EQ at the moment, so straight through from Spotify on a Win10 PC

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #61,203 of 150,874
@Timster if you'd like to compare notes on metal albums with great sound / good DR, feel free to drop me a PM. I've been slowly but steadily building a collection and a seemingly never-ending wish list :D

I'm also not big on thrash metal in general but I do like Megadeth and Metallica. "Dystopia" was Megadeth's "return to form" album and, with Dirk Verbeuren on drums, they're poised to release another great piece next year.

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #61,205 of 150,874
@Timster if you'd like to compare notes on metal albums with great sound / good DR, feel free to drop me a PM. I've been slowly but steadily building a collection and a seemingly never-ending wish list :D

I'm also not big on thrash metal in general but I do like Megadeth and Metallica. "Dystopia" was Megadeth's "return to form" album and, with Dirk Verbeuren on drums, they're poised to release another great piece next year.
Or you could start a thread :smile_cat:

I can recommend, and I apologise in advance, Fvneral Fvkk - Carnal Confessions. It's a much more serious album than the name would suggest. Gothic/doom with a freaking excellent production. It's on Tidal, if nowhere else...

Hint: angrymetalguy.com usually has DR scores in their reviews, and they review loads of stuff.

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #61,207 of 150,874
I’ve been idly contemplating an upgrade to my Jotunheim Multibit system (as one does), like maybe Bifrost 2, even though I don’t actually have complaints.

I was poking through Schiit’s Jotunheim specs, and ran into something I thought was weird: on the Jotunheim product page, the two DAC cards are listed with very similar SNR numbers—108dB for the 4490 card, 109 for the Multibit. But in the APx555 reports for Jotunheim with the respective cards, the SNR for the Jot with a 4490 card drops to 99dB, while a Jot Multibit drops to about 86.

So I was curious about where all that extra noise comes from. Is the Multibit architecture especially susceptible to electromagnetic interference from the other components of the amp?

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #61,208 of 150,874
Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #61,209 of 150,874
My custom cables have just been delivered. Alas, the Jotunheim won't be here for another week and a half, itching though I am to try it out... :)
I think you're going to really like Jot when it finally gets too you. Its one of the cleaner sounding amps I've heard.

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #61,210 of 150,874
Jun 24, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #61,211 of 150,874
Jun 24, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #61,213 of 150,874
Thank you, it looks like Supra is the way to go.

Hope my custom bad boys will be up there, performance-wise. If they perform as good as they look, I'll be happy :)

erZxbSJ.jpg

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #61,214 of 150,874
I like them, except for the Robin's Egg Blue color of the jacket, but I can live with that! I might cover them with some tech-flex in the future though.
Ha, that's like when @Pietro Cozzi Tinin told me the FOCAL Clear was ugly lol. But then he liked my post when I didn't get mad and said it was the sound that matters. He may have been trying to get an angry response, but I'm a laid-back kind of guy.
Yep, I definitely care more about the sound, but it doesn't hurt if the gear looks good! But I don't buy audio equipment based on appearance, anyway.
Hope my custom bad boys will be up there, performance-wise. If they perform as good as they look, I'll be happy :)

erZxbSJ.jpg
Wow, sweet!

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #61,215 of 150,874
oops

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back