Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 3, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #60,001 of 150,364
That's funny I'm in the exact same boat. Got some car stuff coming up so "settled" for a modius for now.
I will say that I have never bought anything from Schiit that I was not delighted with. I'm sure the Modius will deliver a good/different sound to the Modi Multibit as well as way better versatility and connectivity with the Lyr 3 and Jot.

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #60,002 of 150,364
Both have great layering and imaging, both are very detailed and have great bass and extension.
Gungnir has a leaner tonality, is a bit more detailed and has a tad bigger soundstage to the sides and really popping transients (can be fatiguing).
Bifrost is smoother, has bit a blacker background, and is tonally very close to the Yggdrasil A2.
Bifrost is smaller, has a remote and is modularly upgradeable (Gumby is upgradeable too but has to be sent in).

Both are great DAC's, deciding factors should be synergy and space/formfactor.
So, the more important question is what comes after your DAC. Which amp and what headphone/speaker?

I appreciate your comparison! Could you explain the difference between "leaner tonality" and "smoother"?

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #60,003 of 150,364
I will say that I have never bought anything from Schiit that I was not delighted with. I'm sure the Modius will deliver a good/different sound to the Modi Multibit as well as way better versatility and connectivity with the Lyr 3 and Jot.

Modi Multibit has been by dac for 2 years now. Can't wait for modius from what I've been hearing it doesn't really stick to the "stock akm velvet sheen of sound" akm is known for. Should be fun with liquid platinum. I still see a bifrost 2 down the road though.

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #60,004 of 150,364
Hi fellas does it make sense to buy anything else besides the Topping D90 dac? I know it's on the pricey side, but it feels like an end game DAC for time being? I am looking at a new DAC that I want to use with a power amp for my 2 channel audio setup. My other option is to sell the power amp and buy another integrated amplifier - like the anthem STR.
or a fully loaded Ragnarok with NP5 Prisma for half the price! if you don’t need so many watts

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #60,005 of 150,364
This is what I am talking about. Also, Schiit needs to find some company in Indonesia or Asia to make some balanced cables cheaply, cause every time I try to find a balanced cable for my HD58X its like $40-50 for the cheapest one... it's insane. That is almost half the cost of the headphones... no...

And for no difference in sound. Shameless.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #60,006 of 150,364
I just ordered the Modius. I also placed an order for balanced and RCA cables on Amazon.

Excited to get this new DAC and pair it with Lyr 3 and Jot.

More car expenses may be looming so I held off on the Bifrost for now. It'll be there if I change my mind later.

I ordered the Modius yesterday evening. And every time I order a new toy, I pray my car keeps running! But, it's an Outback, and has been very reliable.

Now, once I get the Modius, I'll need to compare it to my other Schiit Dacs, to see how it holds up? I've got a new Modi 3, a used Bifrost with both Dac cards, and a newly purchased used Gungnir D/S. I guess I like the Delta/Sigma Dacs! More musical. Less Hi Fi and more natural, at least to me on my system.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #60,007 of 150,364
This is what I am talking about. Also, Schiit needs to find some company in Indonesia or Asia to make some balanced cables cheaply, cause every time I try to find a balanced cable for my HD58X its like $40-50 for the cheapest one... it's insane. That is almost half the cost of the headphones... no...

I've been buying cables lately through B&H Photo. Good quality pro stuff without the audiophile mark up.

XLR to XLR

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #60,008 of 150,364
And for no difference in sound. Shameless.

Incorrect. The extra power makes the bass slam better/deeper to my ears (similar to high gain vs low gain makes the bass deeper even at same volume levels), and there does seem to be a tad bit better imaging on balanced vs single ended. I admit it is possible it is placebo. I am not 100% sure either way though, the deeper bass doesn't seem placebo though when I hot swap single ended with balanced on similar setups.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #60,009 of 150,364
I appreciate your comparison! Could you explain the difference between "leaner tonality" and "smoother"?

I have a Bimby and a Gungnir D/S. In my system, the Bimby's bass isn't as tight as the Gungnir's. Just slightly boomier and less controlled. The Gungnir is tighter and deeper, but also with better midbass and lower midrange. Fuller sounding than the Bifrost.

Also, the Gungnir has a more even frequency balance. Smoother, since no one area stands out. The Bimby, again to me, is forward in the bass and upper midrange, which makes it exciting sounding, if less accurate. The Gungnir sounds more accurate, but just as musical, since it's frequency balance seems so natural.

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #60,010 of 150,364
Anybody know why the PYST RCA and XLR cables are no longer listed? Only the USB cable is available.

I’ll be really pyst if they have been discontinued!

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #60,011 of 150,364
I believe they were all made by StraightWire for Schiit. I've got a number of different IC's both RCA and XLR from stupid expensive to bargain basement. The Straightwire Symphony IIC is close to the lowest in price with very good quality connectors and is put together well. I use it for all my gear in IC positions.

I also like the fact that with the IIC (and I think the rest of their line) the male RCA barrels fit into Schiit spaced female RCA's without squeezing and deforming / warping the connectors as can happen with the fancy pants fat barrelled ones.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #60,012 of 150,364
The Modius certainly seems like an engineering feat, fantastic value, and reportedly excellent sounding. I will be interested to read the posts people make after having received theirs, installing in their system, and getting some time with it. Excuse me if this has been commented on as I try to keep up but still have to work (darn it!). Something in the photos was lodged in my brain but I couldn't specifically put my finger on it. Today after work I realized when comparing to other Schiit components in that chassis size that the top aluminum case was a thinner gage. Probably helps keep it at the $200 price-point. Enjoy your new arrivals as it is alway fun to get new Schiit!

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #60,013 of 150,364
As stolen from another site. D70 ($500?) and the new Schiit ($200), respectively. And in case you're into that kind of thing, it is said the sound is even more apart and even in favor of the newest DAC
1591230728859.png1591230690702.png
Hi fellas does it make sense to buy anything else besides the Topping D90 dac? I know it's on the pricey side, but it feels like an end game DAC for time being? I am looking at a new DAC that I want to use with a power amp for my 2 channel audio setup. My other option is to sell the power amp and buy another integrated amplifier - like the anthem STR.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #60,015 of 150,364
I ordered the Modius yesterday evening. And every time I order a new toy, I pray my car keeps running! But, it's an Outback, and has been very reliable.

Now, once I get the Modius, I'll need to compare it to my other Schiit Dacs, to see how it holds up? I've got a new Modi 3, a used Bifrost with both Dac cards, and a newly purchased used Gungnir D/S. I guess I like the Delta/Sigma Dacs! More musical. Less Hi Fi and more natural, at least to me on my system.

I sold my 2001 Outback when it got to 215K miles. Reliable is the word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back