Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #60,033 of 145,769
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #60,035 of 145,769
I was simply commenting that it seemed like a prime opportunity to benefit from some of the performance rework that was done with the Magni 3+ and Heresy models to create a higher performing and lower cost balanced offering. The Asgard doesn't have balanced (XLR or AES) and it does measure worse than the latest Magni's. A rework or update of the Jotenheim would make perfect sense but also has to be run at a higher cost when you consider the modular design incorporating the DAC/phono options, then it's always going to add complexity and therefore cost. When the Modius comes in at $199 and the step up to the Jotenheim ($399) for their nearest balanced option, seems like a non-modular, balanced, and possibly op-amp (?) for roughly $199-299 would be a logical next step. Again, just sitting here in my easy chair snacking on popcorn pontificating.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #60,037 of 145,769
Covid-19. Riots. Locus swarms. Amir recommending a Schiit DAC...

We are truly at the end-times!! :astonished:

Dogs and Cats living together!

Always love a good movie reference...

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #60,038 of 145,769
Dogs and Cats living together!

Living together...?

cats-vs-dog-beds21.jpg

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #60,039 of 145,769
I know most people here care most about balanced/XLR output quality...

But for me, the sentence to complete is the following: The Schiit DACs with the "highest" SQ from its SE outputs only is __________________ .

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #60,042 of 145,769
I know most people here care most about balanced/XLR output quality...

But for me, the sentence to complete is the following: The Schiit DACs with the "highest" SQ from its SE outputs only is __________________ .

Well don’t ask me cause I am in the minority who uses Yggy SE. I think the nervosa about the “gimped” SE output is overblown.
Bifrost 2 is very good SE.

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #60,044 of 145,769
I am torn.

I’ve been meaning to buy a Modi Multibit to replace my first piece of Schiit, a Modi 2 Uber.

And a Saga before they sell out (I’m a big fan of passive pre’s, as long as impedence matching is taken into consideration - my 2-channel pre used to be the Adcom SLC 505) - a passive pre with a remote is a unicorn product, usually much more expensive.

But now the Modius is here, with the same footprint as the Saga.

Do I get the compact Modi Multibit at $250 to go with my Schiit stack (pictured earlier), or the midsize Modius at $200 to go with a future Saga?

I have never heard a Schiit multibit product - the Modi MB was going to be my first one.

Thoughts?

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #60,045 of 145,769
I am torn.

I’ve been meaning to buy a Modi Multibit to replace my first piece of Schiit, a Modi 2 Uber.

And a Saga before they sell out (I’m a big fan of passive pre’s, as long as impedence matching is taken into consideration - my 2-channel pre used to be the Adcom SLC 505) - a passive pre with a remote is a unicorn product, usually much more expensive.

But now the Modius is here, with the same footprint as the Saga.

Do I get the compact Modi Multibit at $250 to go with my Schiit stack (pictured earlier), or the midsize Modius at $200 to go with a future Saga?

I have never heard a Schiit multibit product - the Modi MB was going to be my first one.

Thoughts?

It's tough to decide sometimes. You think you've made the correct choice, and then you read comments about how wonderful the other version is!?! What to do?

I have examples of both MB & D/S DAC's, and I get confused too. Everyone says I should like MB designs better. But, I don't. I like the D/S based Schiit DAC's. To me, and my ears, in my system, they just sound more natural. An even balance, with good bass and midbass warmth, that provide a nice foundation to the music. Relaxed and open. Very good layering too, allowing depth to the music, and allowing musical lines to come through as distinct entities. While my Bimby is maybe more exciting, with extended bass slam, and a more prominent upper mid, music seems overly high-lighted. Ever so slightly etched, that pulls me out of the music. Good yes, different, yes. Just not as likable for me. That's why I just ordered a Modius. To see if it's more audiophile, or more musical?

Good luck with your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back