Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 3, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #60,019 of 149,012
Great looking product. But I have a faqish question: Shouldn't a Modi Max be the same width as a Modi and thicker, instead of the same height and wider? It is a MODI isn't it?
needed to be wider in order to fit the balanced XLR outs. not enough room on the back of the smaller chassis products. also, thicker doesn't give one more pcb real estate (physical separation between parts can also help with noise issues) they could have designed a smaller board with parts on both the front and back, but that increases the manufacturing costs.

plus, the product line needed a D/S DAC nicely stackable under Asgard / Jotunheim / Lyr to replace Bifrost OG (e.g. uber and 4490) since Bifrost 2 is Multibit only.

disclaimer: I have an Asgard 2 as my main HP amp (with Magni 3+ as an emergency backup), so I have a preference for the medium-sized chassis.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #60,022 of 149,012
Really excited for this release. Hopefully there's a Magn(i)us to pair with it incoming to support balanced and space between...

Considering Asgard 3 is 199 and new, I don't foresee a super balanced magni coming. A jotunheim refresh may be in the future, but I'm just speculating from the peanut gallery.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #60,023 of 149,012
Considering Asgard 3 is 199 and new, I don't foresee a super balanced magni coming. A jotunheim refresh may be in the future, but I'm just speculating from the peanut gallery.
the Magni 3 wall warts are rated 15VAC at 1500mA = 22.5VA, while the Asgard internal transformer is 48VA IIRC which is double the power rating, making the Jotunheim refresh (replacement) more likely. Especially if continuity is added (which requires a medium amount of bias, plus added power for the continuity circuitry, generating more heat than the small Magni chassis can dissipate)

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #60,024 of 149,012
the Magni 3 wall warts are rated 15VAC at 1500mA = 22.5VA, while the Asgard internal transformer is 48VA IIRC which is double the power rating, making the Jotunheim refresh (replacement) more likely. Especially if continuity is added (which requires a medium amount of bias, plus added power for the continuity circuitry, generating more heat than the small Magni chassis can dissipate)

Exactly, someone was asking for a super magni, well thats essentially Asgard 3.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #60,025 of 149,012
I sold my 2001 Outback when it got to 215K miles. Reliable is the word.

Hi US Blues
Your experience with a Subaru Outback is very encouraging.
I had wanted one for years and finally bought an ex -demo model in early 2018. It only had 100 miles on the clock so it was effectively brand new.
I specifically wanted a manual, diesel version and managed to get one of the very last ones made. ( The road tax system in UK makes this the most economic version)
It is beautifully engineered and I am delighted with it. When we had snow in Feb 2018, it performed better than many of my neighbours' big 4x4 vehicles, which got stuck!
Mine has only clocked up 12,000 miles so I am hoping it will last for many, many years.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #60,026 of 149,012
Dont you just love it when Schiit upsets the apple cart!!

$199 balanced, multiple inputs...stacks nicely with several other Schiit amps and who knows what could be lurking in the Schiit labs!!

Here is a company in the good ole USA making superlative headphone products with great support and warranties....my hats off the Jason, Mike, Dave and all the Schitty Audio Wizards at Schiit!!

Alex

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #60,027 of 149,012
Hi US Blues
Your experience with a Subaru Outback is very encouraging.
I had wanted one for years and finally bought an ex -demo model in early 2018. It only had 100 miles on the clock so it was effectively brand new.
I specifically wanted a manual, diesel version and managed to get one of the very last ones made. ( The road tax system in UK makes this the most economic version)
It is beautifully engineered and I am delighted with it. When we had snow in Feb 2018, it performed better than many of my neighbours' big 4x4 vehicles, which got stuck!
Mine has only clocked up 12,000 miles so I am hoping it will last for many, many years.

Mine was a manual tranny as well, no diesel option in the US. The key to maintaining an Outback is to be religious with oil and other fluid changes. Enjoy your Subie, and your Schiit!

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #60,028 of 149,012
Covid-19. Riots. Locust swarms. Amir recommending a Schiit DAC...

We are truly at the end-times!! :astonished:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #60,030 of 149,012
I just ordered the Modius. I also placed an order for balanced and RCA cables on Amazon.

Excited to get this new DAC and pair it with Lyr 3 and Jot.

More car expenses may be looming so I held off on the Bifrost for now. It'll be there if I change my mind later.
A good place for good performing cables of all types is Better Cables https://bettercables.com. They are good people too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back