Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #59,462 of 155,117
grammar.png

May 23, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #59,463 of 155,117
That's nice to know...I just received my Electron SEs yesterday and currently running them with a single Aegir that is destined for my office system. The Aegir is very special at its price point, and it will be difficult for me to go back to the Ragnarok 2 when I move the Aegir to the office. I may have to replace the Ragnarok with a Freya+ and a new Aegir. Then I could try mono Aegirs to see if I have a preference for one or two.

I've been eyeing on a Tekton speakers as well. May I know why you picked the Electron SE over the DI?

May 23, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #59,464 of 155,117
End game, interesting concept. I currently have my end game speakers, Klipsch Cornwall III SE’s, but if I were gifted some certain JBL’s at 4x the price for my two channel system that could change. Likewise a pair of Raidho D-5’s for my entertainment setup would be gratefully accepted. Meanwhile, amidst every other demand on my purse I’ll keep waiting for Loki Maxi and Yggdrasil which will probably be analogue III Unison II by then.

Hey, just occurred to me, will Loki Maxi have Unison in/out?
It’s analog, right?

May 23, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #59,465 of 155,117
I've been eyeing on a Tekton speakers as well. May I know why you picked the Electron SE over the DI?
Several reasons:
1. Size. I can easily move the Electron SEs around in the room by myself. I will also be retiring in a few years and don't want to deal with speakers I will need help moving.
2. I wanted the upgraded internal wiring, and these came with it (DI is $300 extra).
3. I wanted gloss black finish and it was only $500 extra (DI is $1500 extra).
I am not a bass head, so I figured the 8" drivers would provide enough for me (I was correct).
The Electron SEs cost me about $3600, and the DI would have cost me $4800 and the DI SE would have been $5600. It's not really about the budget, though, as I can afford to buy even the Ulfberht, but more about not knowing where I will be after I retire, and I can always sell my current equipment and buy new when I move.
I have never heard any Tekton Design speakers, so it was a leap of faith that what I have read is accurate. My previous speakers were horn loaded and I liked the more life like attack of percussion and plucked strings. I spent the middle of the 1990s looking for replacement speakers that could deliver, and failed to find them. Most high end speakers back then were more into reproducing bowed strings and lacked the dynamics I am talking about. I almost purchased Von Schweikert Research VR-4A, but they were $5000 and I didn't think the attack was quite good enough to justify the spend.
My previous speakers were JBL SVA-1800, and I loved how a good rim shot would make you blink, just like if you were standing near the drum set (I have been an amateur musician since age 4, so I know what live instruments sound like). These new Electron SE that I just received this week are also very good at attack dynamics, but also the sound is blended well from top to bottom, so you can't hear a difference in the quality of the sound like you could on the JBL between the horn tweeter and the 8" woofers. There is also better detail in the bass, with richer timbre of acoustic bass. The resonance inside the piano in the lower registers is also richer. I will need to live with them for a bit longer to develop opinions about what other aspects of the sound are now better.
My top 3 upgrades have been:
1. Yggdrasil - Better separation of instruments and just plain ease of delivery over the multibit card in the Ragnarok 2).
2. Tekton Design Electron SE
2. (tied) Aegir - Bigger, more coherent sound stage over Ragnarok 2.

May 23, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #59,466 of 155,117

In my case, I chose the Electron SE primarily because I had a smaller room and they were a better fit within that space. If I had a larger space I likely would've gone with the DIs.

May 23, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #59,470 of 155,117
Schiit n Music

Story/Saturday Night continued; two weeks later:

The gifted Schiit Modi 3, Magni 3, Introprose connector, and Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 ohm is a really big hit. Overdone but worth it.

Life = more of the same.
Exceptions are the kitchen sink leak is fixed after three months of calling faucet manufacturer and getting every part at least twice with no joy. They finally sent a brand new faucet. Installed, tested and declared fixed!
Now the upstairs toilet flush handle chain broke, did I say I dislike plumbing work.
Lots of rain, my back yard weather station is reporting just under 7" for the "event" (since Monday night).
Garden is looking good, picked three nice broccoli heads and lots of spring lettuce.

And my Gaggia Classic is leaking inside. Not the basket gasket.
My son and wife conspired to give me the Gaggia, not been totally happy with it. So .. do I attempt to fix it or do I use this as an excuse to find a replacement?
Any reasonable suggestions on what to look at? I make two double expresso shots for americanos every morning and an occasional shot here and there.

We have always held patio gatherings, mainly with relatives and close friends.
Music is a big part of why everyone enjoys the events. I try to mix it up every time.
Now, entering Phase 2, we are starting to get hints of when will this happen.
Wife is defiantly not ready. If nothing else, she is weary of all the food trials and tribulations and cooking. Even if I am involved and duty/task are shared.

I picked up an AKG K702 at a good price a month or so ago.
This completes my yesteryear collection of the holy trinity, as I remember it:
Sennheiser HD 600 or 650
Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 ohm or 880 600 ohm
AKG K701

I was missing the AKG.
Been messing around with them looking for a synergy of music type(s) and system/amp kit and generally getting some time on them.
Seem OK with the Vali 2 6SN7 adapted, not so much with the Magni 3+ or Asgard 2. Other amps to check, have high hopes for the Lyr 6SN7 adapted.

Last night while listening whole house to "No Nukes" and cooking dinner, I grabbed them and plugged into the bar stack. Airport express --> Bifrost MB --> vintage Pioneer SX 1280. Conventional wisdom indicates that a 62 ohm rated headphone should not pair well with a 150 ohm headphone out.

However; You can't never always sometimes tell about them things.

Listening to "No Nukes" and later "Crossroads 2013", which are both live recordings, totally got my attention.
Instrument and vocal placement is outstanding, bass stronger, guitars clear.
Today I listened again, just in case the Gin mod was too strong :wink:
Same results.

Five o'clock somewhere, just poured a Green Man ESB and starting to assemble dinner; "basket bobs".
Think I will stay with live recordings on the whole house...

Tomorrow I may get out and play photographer.

Stay safe
&
Enjoy the Schiit N Music

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #59,471 of 155,117
May 23, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #59,472 of 155,117
Schiit n Music

Story/Saturday Night continued; two weeks later:

The gifted Schiit Modi 3, Magni 3, Introprose connector, and Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 ohm is a really big hit. Overdone but worth it.

Life = more of the same.
Exceptions are the kitchen sink leak is fixed after three months of calling faucet manufacturer and getting every part at least twice with no joy. They finally sent a brand new faucet. Installed, tested and declared fixed!
Now the upstairs toilet flush handle chain broke, did I say I dislike plumbing work.
Lots of rain, my back yard weather station is reporting just under 7" for the "event" (since Monday night).
Garden is looking good, picked three nice broccoli heads and lots of spring lettuce.

And my Gaggia Classic is leaking inside. Not the basket gasket.
My son and wife conspired to give me the Gaggia, not been totally happy with it. So .. do I attempt to fix it or do I use this as an excuse to find a replacement?
Any reasonable suggestions on what to look at? I make two double expresso shots for americanos every morning and an occasional shot here and there.

We have always held patio gatherings, mainly with relatives and close friends.
Music is a big part of why everyone enjoys the events. I try to mix it up every time.
Now, entering Phase 2, we are starting to get hints of when will this happen.
Wife is defiantly not ready. If nothing else, she is weary of all the food trials and tribulations and cooking. Even if I am involved and duty/task are shared.

I picked up an AKG K702 at a good price a month or so ago.
This completes my yesteryear collection of the holy trinity, as I remember it:
Sennheiser HD 600 or 650
Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 ohm or 880 600 ohm
AKG K701

I was missing the AKG.
Been messing around with them looking for a synergy of music type(s) and system/amp kit and generally getting some time on them.
Seem OK with the Vali 2 6SN7 adapted, not so much with the Magni 3+ or Asgard 2. Other amps to check, have high hopes for the Lyr 6SN7 adapted.

Last night while listening whole house to "No Nukes" and cooking dinner, I grabbed them and plugged into the bar stack. Airport express --> Bifrost MB --> vintage Pioneer SX 1280. Conventional wisdom indicates that a 62 ohm rated headphone should not pair well with a 150 ohm headphone out.

However; You can't never always sometimes tell about them things.

Listening to "No Nukes" and later "Crossroads 2013", which are both live recordings, totally got my attention.
Instrument and vocal placement is outstanding, bass stronger, guitars clear.
Today I listened again, just in case the Gin mod was too strong :wink:
Same results.

Five o'clock somewhere, just poured a Green Man ESB and starting to assemble dinner; "basket bobs".
Think I will stay with live recordings on the whole house...

Tomorrow I may get out and play photographer.

Stay safe
&
Enjoy the Schiit N Music

keep fixing the Gaggia Classic until the heating element eventually fails (or you can't get replacement parts anymore). I have a Saeco Classico (Aroma) that has had a couple of steam valve stems, plus a pump replacement pending.

The K702's are known to be a bit light on the bass. Having a high impedance driving source (like the old Pioneer with 150 ohm output impedance) allows the resonant mid-bass peak to fill in some of the missing bass.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #59,473 of 155,117
The best BBQ is the kind you are currently eating...
Finally, a political/religious statement I can support! Right on, brother, preach! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back