What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 22, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #12,436 of 14,564
We have a kitchen scale, but that's just to measure our dog's food portions to keep her from getting fat.
With Aeropress I use the included spoon. A spoonful of beans, grind them, and fill the press with hot water. Not scientific, but still results in damn good coffee.

May 22, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #12,437 of 14,564
I'll co-sign the use of scales in making coffee, especially with the cheap ones available on Amazon: I like the American Weigh Scale AMW-SC-2KG.

Some people think it makes your job harder, when it does the opposite: just add coffee and water until the numbers on the scale reach whatever they're supposed to be. Bean density and size can vary hugely: compare a tiny Ethiopian Yirg peaberry to a Maragogype and you'll see: one is tiny and dense, and the other (the so-called elephant bean) is huge. Different roast levels will also affect the density of the bean. And if you're truly OCD, heating water up reduces its density by about 4% at boiling temps, so it's important to measure mass instead of volume.

A scale will also let you tweak your brew in consistent and repeatable ways so you can more easily find the recipe that you like best.

May 23, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #12,438 of 14,564
Well said. I've been diddling with a Peruvian from Square Mile for the past several days, getting unsatisfying results from aero press and barely better ones from pour over. I've tightened up the grind from 8 to 6.1 on the EK, and somewhere between 6 and 6.5 is I think the sweet spot for the coffee. James Hoffmann gave some good advice in a livestream about home brewing from two years ago - said you should increment your grind finer and finer until you hit a wall of bitterness, and then back off just slightly to that sweet spot of maximal extraction without over-extraction.

The EK is one of the best tools I've ever bought. Truly the Orpheus of coffee grinders (at a comparative bargain!)

May 24, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #12,439 of 14,564
Looks like I definitely need to get a scale to tighten up my coffee game. And the tip for measuring water quantity by weight is one that never crossed my mind. My eyeballs will never be as accurate as a scale.

Thanks for the recommendations.

May 24, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #12,440 of 14,564
Looks like I definitely need to get a scale to tighten up my coffee game. And the tip for measuring water quantity by weight is one that never crossed my mind. My eyeballs will never be as accurate as a scale.

Thanks for the recommendations.
There's no need at all.
Do as we Italians do. Weigh by experience and watch the weather outside to learn the grade of grinding for that moment.
You won't see any scales or other paraphernalia used by Italian Baristi.

May 27, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #12,442 of 14,564
@Baldr Since Jason has shown us a hint of the display that the transport will be using, is the transport only going to be able to playback spinning media, or will it also be able to play back media via say a usb drive etc...?
Where'd you see that display?

May 27, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #12,444 of 14,564
Today was my first Grapefruit Espresso Zing of the season - equal parts espresso and grapefruit juice, with 10g or so of elderflower syrup to soften the tartness of the grapefruit. I didn't shake it in the cocktail shaker, though I think I will do that tomorrow morning. It is quite, quite warm.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #12,445 of 14,564
Work on transport continues. The transport is still in alpha stage, where it will remain until I have confidence in it USB driving a majority of the DACs out in the wild. Sounds amazing, though. The reason is that there are far more USB input chips (DAC side) in the wild than USB output chips which drive the Unison USB input section already in Schiit production. I have just built a gizmo which can test DACs to see if they are compatible. I shall see how many DACs I can find and test. More shall be revealed.

MM

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 3, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #12,446 of 14,564
Work on transport continues. The transport is still in alpha stage, where it will remain until I have confidence in it USB driving a majority of the DACs out in the wild. Sounds amazing, though. The reason is that there are far more USB input chips (DAC side) in the wild than USB output chips which drive the Unison USB input section already in Schiit production. I have just built a gizmo which can test DACs to see if they are compatible. I shall see how many DACs I can find and test. More shall be revealed.

MM
Thank you, Mike!

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #12,447 of 14,564
Thanks for the update, Mike. There is much interest in the transport!!

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #12,448 of 14,564
@Baldr, I'd appreciate your musings on what kind of latency one would have to expect from a TOSLINK to USB Audio Out converter (say, the digital preamp you've been thinking about, but purely used as a digital audio switch / format converter).
On that note I'm also curious about your thoughts on using external master clocks and word clocks, and possibly supporting that in a Schiit product.

Thanks, and all the best to you!

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #12,449 of 14,564
Thank you for the update on the Transport, Mike. I cannot wait to hook it up to my Yggy 2.

Most of all I hope you are continually on the mend and staying happy!

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #12,450 of 14,564
Thank you for the update on the Transport, Mike. I cannot wait to hook it up to my Yggy 2.

Most of all I hope you are continually on the mend and staying happy!
Can someone briefly describe/summarize what this transport is about?

Last pages habe been primarily about analog Playback and Coffee brewing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back