Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #59,491 of 152,758
(never say never but) Jason Stoddard has stated many time in this forum that he is not interested in making portable battery powered devices.
It would make no sense at all.
It would take them out of their comfort zone right into a huge market that already dies because most smartphones can do a better job.
There's no pride in schiitifying everything that moves in the audio market.

May 24, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #59,492 of 152,758
I still think it would be awesome to see Schiit release a pi hat and a corresponding Schiit made case and power supply.
Why? With Unison USB you can just use the USB out on the Pi with a standard switching power supply. Even a low noise power supply doesn't make any audible difference.
Use it on a daily basis in that configuration with Roon and RoPieee. Just great.

May 24, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #59,493 of 152,758
It would make no sense at all.
It would take them out of their comfort zone right into a huge market that already dies because most smartphones can do a better job.
There's no pride in schiitifying everything that moves in the audio market.
Which is something else Jason has said here: no need for them to make "me too" products. If it's not fun and different, why bother?

May 24, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #59,494 of 152,758
My last ticket number for the question I posted to Schiit was # 50000, but despite that "lucky" number the answer to my question was NO. No ETA (yet) on a 50 Hz motor (or other 50 Hz operable solution) for Sol. :no_entry:

50000.jpg

May 24, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #59,495 of 152,758
My last ticket number for the question I posted to Schiit was # 50000, but despite that "lucky" number the answer to my question was NO. No ETA (yet) on a 50 Hz motor (or other 50 Hz operable solution) for Sol. :no_entry:

Could it be as simple as a different sized gear on the existing motor? The gear is removable, so it would be trivial to have a different sized one. Schiit sells 16v ac adapters for 220v and a variety of connectors.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #59,496 of 152,758
I'm convinced a new Modi must be in development, and I've been holding off buying a DAC because I know the moment I buy one they'll announce a better version (also because there's been no stock in the UK for months).
Welcome to Head-Fi.

I think that a new Modi Multibit may be in the works:
1. Jason said some time ago that we were in for a new era in multibit.
2. They are playing with Raspberry pi as a development platform.
3. The DSP chips in the multibit DACs are expensive and make up a substantial portion of the BOM of Modi multibit.
4. Replacement of the DSP chip with a multipurpose CPU such as the ARM chip in the Raspberry pi would decrease cost.
5. New Modi multibit is $50-100 cheaper?

What say you all?

May 24, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #59,497 of 152,758
Why? With Unison USB you can just use the USB out on the Pi with a standard switching power supply. Even a low noise power supply doesn't make any audible difference.
Use it on a daily basis in that configuration with Roon and RoPieee. Just great.

I just want a silver Schiit case for a pi setup. I like my stuff to match. No other reason.

May 24, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #59,500 of 152,758
Could it be as simple as a different sized gear on the existing motor? The gear is removable, so it would be trivial to have a different sized one. Schiit sells 16v ac adapters for 22v and a variety of connectors.
Not without messing up rumble, wow and flutters numbers etc. and without having to start the platter by pushing it by hand.
That is after it takes how long???? to find out and make the correct size gear.
Don't understand the last part of your text. It's all about frequency not voltage, that is easy to solve.

May 24, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #59,501 of 152,758
Welcome to Head-Fi.

I think that a new Modi Multibit may be in the works:
1. Jason said some time ago that we were in for a new era in multibit.
2. They are playing with Raspberry pi as a development platform.
3. The DSP chips in the multibit DACs are expensive and make up a substantial portion of the BOM of Modi multibit.
4. Replacement of the DSP chip with a multipurpose CPU such as the ARM chip in the Raspberry pi would decrease cost.
5. New Modi multibit is $50-100 cheaper?

What say you all?
5. I doubt that. Doubt if it will even fit. I guess the ARM board (Schitt Pi) is for the larger models.

May 24, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #59,502 of 152,758
Not without messing up rumble, wow and flutters numbers etc. and without having to start the platter by pushing it by hand.
That is after it takes how long???? to find out and make the correct size gear.
Don't understand the last part of your text. It's all about frequency not voltage, that is easy to solve.

You already need to give it a push to start the platter, unless you're using the beta gear and belt that Schiit no longer recommends. Meant to say 220v, not 22v. I know voltage is easy to solve, I was pointing out Schiit already sells an AC adapter that would work. Frequency would be solved, I'm speculating with a different sized gear. In this age of 3D printers, it wouldn't take long to get the gear sizing correct. I don't know why rumble, wow, and flutter would be impacted, but then again I don't know what I'm talking about.

May 24, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #59,503 of 152,758
Disagree on that one. I compared the standard rpi on stock wallwart to an lps-powered usbridge signature and while the difference between the two was smaller on unison than on gen5 it was still there.

Also, a daughterboard for an RPI compute module with Unison out in a Schiit style case would be awesome

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back