Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #59,521 of 153,292
(never say never but) Jason Stoddard has stated many time in this forum that he is not interested in making portable battery powered devices.
and a DAP requires a schiit-load of software, which Jason has also said he doesn't want to do. Seriously though, I don't see what Schiit can offer that would differentiate it from the many DAPs already on the market.

May 24, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #59,522 of 153,292
don't distract Jason and Co. with software-heavy pie-in-the-sky items. They need to complete the design and transfer to production two of the most important projects in the whole world, which happen to be exactly the two I want :) namely, the Transport and next-gen Solid-State better-than-Asgard3 /Lyr3 /Mjolnir 2 remote-volume-and-source-switching fully-balanced-and-differential HP amp / pre-amp

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #59,523 of 153,292
don't distract Jason and Co. with software-heavy pie-in-the-sky items. They need to complete the design and transfer to production two of the most important projects in the whole world, which happen to be exactly the two I want :) namely, the Transport and next-gen Solid-State better-than-Asgard3 /Lyr3 /Mjolnir 2 remote-volume-and-source-switching fully-balanced-and-differential HP amp / pre-amp

....and the Loki Max.

May 25, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #59,524 of 153,292
Instead of using a DIY solution, why not buy a dedicated streamer? (runs and hides from Pi fans)
Having to rely on single source of software updates and having to trust that the manufacturer will still release them after a few years is a tough pill to swallow.

May 25, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #59,525 of 153,292
Too much trouble. I'd rather just hire the bands to come perform in my back yard. :D

Me too, Ripper2860 :)
I couldn't get the guys from my favourite Led Zeppelin Tribute band, 'Whole Lotta Led' , to play in my back garden, but they have posted a video of them playing a 'lockdown' gig in isolation from their respective houses.

May 25, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #59,526 of 153,292
Hey Jason.

Abyss Headphones recently ran over a pair of AB-1266 headphones to be used as a giveaway prize. Will there be any chance of Schiit doing something similar with one of your products, perhaps as a giveaway prize or perhaps as part of a charity auction?

Somehow a 1/2" high Bifrost 2 pancake has a fundamental lack of appeal. But that's entirely subjective, of course. :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #59,527 of 153,292
It's obvious you are very critical and difficult to please.
Do you really think someone can give you a realistic advise?

Advice, perhaps not, but I do get many good ideas to follow up on in these forums. An advantage of asking the question here is Schiit-heads listed to all different kinds of head phones, some I've never tried, some I may not have heard of. Some Schiit-heads are also able to describe sound very well and provide specific, detailed comparisons between different pieces of gear, including head phones. I'll get different ideas from participants here than I will in head-phone-specific forums.

It would make no sense at all.
It would take them out of their comfort zone right into a huge market that already dies because most smartphones can do a better job.
There's no pride in schiitifying everything that moves in the audio market.

Have you been reading his chapters? He likes being out of his comfort zone. Your point about DAPs being a huge market is valid, though; it may not make business sense. I disagree a phone can do a better job than a DAP, my phone doesn't sound as good as my DAP. Of course, my kids agree with you, they use their phones for everything.

"There's no pride in schiitifying everything that moves in the audio market.", except for total world domination. I can't believe the spell checker thinks I misspelled "schiitifying", it must be a word in common use.

and a DAP requires a schiit-load of software, which Jason has also said he doesn't want to do. Seriously though, I don't see what Schiit can offer that would differentiate it from the many DAPs already on the market.

The same thing Schiit already offers in their entire line-up: a high-value product which performs well.

No more from me about Schiit DAPs.

May 25, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #59,528 of 153,292
Several reasons:
1. Size. I can easily move the Electron SEs around in the room by myself. I will also be retiring in a few years and don't want to deal with speakers I will need help moving.
2. I wanted the upgraded internal wiring, and these came with it (DI is $300 extra).
3. I wanted gloss black finish and it was only $500 extra (DI is $1500 extra).
I am not a bass head, so I figured the 8" drivers would provide enough for me (I was correct).
The Electron SEs cost me about $3600, and the DI would have cost me $4800 and the DI SE would have been $5600. It's not really about the budget, though, as I can afford to buy even the Ulfberht, but more about not knowing where I will be after I retire, and I can always sell my current equipment and buy new when I move.
I have never heard any Tekton Design speakers, so it was a leap of faith that what I have read is accurate. My previous speakers were horn loaded and I liked the more life like attack of percussion and plucked strings. I spent the middle of the 1990s looking for replacement speakers that could deliver, and failed to find them. Most high end speakers back then were more into reproducing bowed strings and lacked the dynamics I am talking about. I almost purchased Von Schweikert Research VR-4A, but they were $5000 and I didn't think the attack was quite good enough to justify the spend.
My previous speakers were JBL SVA-1800, and I loved how a good rim shot would make you blink, just like if you were standing near the drum set (I have been an amateur musician since age 4, so I know what live instruments sound like). These new Electron SE that I just received this week are also very good at attack dynamics, but also the sound is blended well from top to bottom, so you can't hear a difference in the quality of the sound like you could on the JBL between the horn tweeter and the 8" woofers. There is also better detail in the bass, with richer timbre of acoustic bass. The resonance inside the piano in the lower registers is also richer. I will need to live with them for a bit longer to develop opinions about what other aspects of the sound are now better.
My top 3 upgrades have been:
1. Yggdrasil - Better separation of instruments and just plain ease of delivery over the multibit card in the Ragnarok 2).
2. Tekton Design Electron SE
2. (tied) Aegir - Bigger, more coherent sound stage over Ragnarok 2.

I picked up a pair of Lores about 4 years ago. Big leap of faith as I'd never heard them (or any Tektons) at that point. What intrigued me was not only the (low) price, but the high sensitivity and benign impedance load that were a tempting partner for a low-powered (SET) tube amp. On first listen, they were beyond awful -- bright, screechy, NO bass, basically several levels below nasty. Now had I been firmly entrenched in the "break-in is only a figment of imagination" camp, they'd have gone right back in the shipping boxes and on their way back for a refund. But I'm a permanent resident of the other camp where break in *is* a thing, so I stuck 'em face to face, wired one out of phase relative to the other, hooked them up to a muscular HT receiver, and hammered the crap out for them for about 60 hours. I think the word 'transformation' would be a huge understatement. Suddenly there was bass. Deep bass even. Brightness and screech gone. Music. But there was still a bite in the mid-to-lower treble that I couldn't live with (and this with the SET tube amp in play). I emailed Eric and explained what I was hearing. Response? "You're welcome to send them back, or I can fix that." Fix it? I'm all ears. After a bit more conversation and letting him know I knew which end of a soldering iron to hold, a new pair of crossovers arrived in my mailbox. After installing and allowing some more of that break-in thing, he was dead right. He'd fixed it. No more bite. But no more fun either...the presentation became, well, just boring. Another couple emails, and shortly thereafter another pair of crossovers arrived in my mailbox. Bingo. No bite, fun-factor restored to its former glory. Score! Nail on the head kind of thing. Did he charge me anything? Not a dime -- he only requested that I return the first 2 pairs of crossovers to him which of course I did. And then the 'me being me' thing happened where I couldn't leave well enough alone so I matched up the component values with what were in his crossovers and replaced with some premium audiophile-approved parts. Bingo on steroids. In my past audio life I've had speakers costing upwards of $20k, and while some of those were far more accomplished at the typical audiophile descriptors and parameters, I've yet to have a pair of speakers in my listening room that I find more musically enjoyable than the (modded) Lores. Audio is all about personal preference of course, but these score a direct hit for me. I've eyeballed the Double Impacts more than once, but about the time my contemplation gets serious, Schitt rains on the toy fund parade by introducing things like the Bifrost 2 that I just can't not have. :) :)

3rd Gen Tekton Lore crossover:

Original Crossover.jpg

Can't leave well enough alone crossovers:

Lore Crossover 1.jpg

May 25, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #59,529 of 153,292
May 25, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #59,530 of 153,292
I know this is a Schiit thread, so I'll start this question with:

I really like my Mjolnir I amp. However, in relation to the IEMs I use when I'm not sitting down, I am becoming dissatisfied with my HiFiMAN HE-500 head phones. They are capable of deep bass, but it is down in level at the volume I prefer to listen to and lacking in detail (kind of one-notey). They also sound a bit muffled in the mids, and lack sparkle in the treble. Sticking with a planar design, perhaps the Audeze LCD-2 is an upgrade (the LCD-X was fatiguing to me)? I wasn't impressed by the DCA Aeon when it was made by Mr. Speakers. I haven't heard the Ether, though. I had, but sold, a pair of ZMF Atticus. For some reason I just didn't reach of them often enough. I think the person I sold them to uses them daily, so that's good. I wasn't impressed by the Beyerdynamic I had briefly, T-90, I think.

For perspective, the IEMs I have, and like, are the 64Audio Trio (driven by an A&K AK70 Mk II) and Meze Rai Penta (driven by a Questyle QP2R).

Perhaps send suggestions via PM? I'd hate to sidetrack this thread from its original mission to provide definitive information about Schiit and BBQ.

One word: Loki. :)

May 25, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #59,531 of 153,292
May 25, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #59,533 of 153,292
Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #59,535 of 153,292

Users who are viewing this thread

Back