Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #59,551 of 151,658
Hmmm. Well, IIRC Continuity is intended to help a speaker amp stretch Class A sound into the AB power range. It wouldn’t be necessary to build a headphone amp that way because you can just build it to run Class A all the time into whatever power limit is practical...?

(edited)
Real Class A is very inefficient. consider how warm Asgard 2 ran, and that was for 1W per channel into an optimal load (32 - 50 ohms based on their specs). Note that Asgard 2's power decreases significantly (in half at 16 ohms, and even lower for the higher 300 and 600 ohm impedances) outside the ideal load range.

Multiply that heat by five and some serious fins / heatsinking will be needed.

(Added)
2 Wpc Class A is possible using a freya-sized chassis (with a bit more depth), and a couple of the heatsinks from Jotunheim R, and a lotta holes on the top. If Continuity is used, then 5W or more power is easily available (for compatibility with those older hard-to-drive planars), and Continuity also is a market differentiator vs competitor's products.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #59,552 of 151,658
I found a case that makes a Raspberry Pi feel a lot more like a “real” product by moving all the I/O ports to the back and adding a physical shutdown/bootup button. It’s amazing the difference having all the cables exiting only one side of the case (instead of two as is usual) makes, compared to other cases (including the Flirc case referenced above). It’s built out of aluminum, so it feels very solid and dissipates heat passively (and therefore quietly), although there is a fan included, software controllable. I’m very pleased with it, but as you can see from the pic, my little stack would look s-o-o-o-o much better if it was a Schiit shaped case.

IMG_0731.jpeg

And just to keep up the tradition others have started, here’s a pic of the cabling:

IMG_0732.jpeg

The interconnects are primarily monoprice. I thought of getting Pysts but at US$20 a pop (i.e. almost CAD$40 by the time shipping and duty are added) it made more sense to go for CAD$6 monoprice. They are a bit stiff, but they do the job.

And of course, the most important consideration of all — how to power such a mighty pile of Schiit:

IMG_0733.jpeg

Thanks to all the others who have gone before with their Schiit piles!

:wink: :wink:

P.S. I decided to go the Pi 4 -> Eitr -> Modi Uber rather than going for a Pi HaT. The Allo Digione Signature is nearly US$250 before buying a case and two power supplies. The B-stock Eitr was only US$99 and sounds pretty good to me.

Love the Schiit rack! Wherefore dids't thou acquire it, if I may ask?

May 25, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #59,553 of 151,658
Real Class A is very inefficient. consider how warm the Asgard 2 ran, and that was for 1W per channel into an optimal load (32 - 50 ohms based on their specs). Note that Asgard 2's power is much less (half in fact at 16 ohms, and even lower for the higher impedances) outside the ideal load range.

I stand corrected

May 25, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #59,558 of 151,658
IMG_0351.jpeg
A nice photo of the Schiit pile with iMac, Yamaha SACD player and KEF LS50 speakers before the pile needs to find a new home in the re-vamped office. Could be a while before usage begins again. Waiting on a new desk et al.

A not so nice photo of what happens when cables get out of control and items get added without regard to "where's that gonna go?"

C429D2A0-BBE5-4A65-9C63-16BADFEE63B5_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #59,559 of 151,658
Amazon had them. Takes two kits for his configuration, I almost did this except it will not let me use Introprose interconnects.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCZQ0ZZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A15BEUI8HGPZ14&psc=1

depending on the rigidity of the original rack design, you might be able to remove a mid-shelf or two, and connect adjacent spacers/risers together. If the spacers/risers are female on both ends, get some matching (likely metric) all-thread or hex set-screws. put a drop of low-torque Loctite on the end of set-screw and drive half-way into one of the spacers. wait for it to set, then attach the adjacent spacer.

May 26, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #59,560 of 151,658
Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #59,561 of 151,658
I found a case that makes a Raspberry Pi feel a lot more like a “real” product by moving all the I/O ports to the back and adding a physical shutdown/bootup button. It’s amazing the difference having all the cables exiting only one side of the case (instead of two as is usual) makes, compared to other cases (including the Flirc case referenced above). It’s built out of aluminum, so it feels very solid and dissipates heat passively (and therefore quietly), although there is a fan included, software controllable. I’m very pleased with it, but as you can see from the pic, my little stack would look s-o-o-o-o much better if it was a Schiit shaped case.

IMG_0731.jpeg

And just to keep up the tradition others have started, here’s a pic of the cabling:

IMG_0732.jpeg

The interconnects are primarily monoprice. I thought of getting Pysts but at US$20 a pop (i.e. almost CAD$40 by the time shipping and duty are added) it made more sense to go for CAD$6 monoprice. They are a bit stiff, but they do the job.

And of course, the most important consideration of all — how to power such a mighty pile of Schiit:

IMG_0733.jpeg

Thanks to all the others who have gone before with their Schiit piles!

:wink: :wink:

P.S. I decided to go the Pi 4 -> Eitr -> Modi Uber rather than going for a Pi HaT. The Allo Digione Signature is nearly US$250 before buying a case and two power supplies. The B-stock Eitr was only US$99 and sounds pretty good to me.

i'm guessing the yellow stuff is melted-on filament from a 3-D printer??? and the LF knob doesn't have one cuz it fell off, or a dog/cat ate it thinking it was cheese :)

May 26, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #59,562 of 151,658
One word: Loki. :)
What?! EQ from a person who posted photographic evidence of capacitor swapping? You must be kidding.

Interesting idea. I haven't had the best luck with my few attempts with EQ, but...

May 26, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #59,563 of 151,658
(edited)
Real Class A is very inefficient. consider how warm Asgard 2 ran, and that was for 1W per channel into an optimal load (32 - 50 ohms based on their specs). Note that Asgard 2's power decreases significantly (in half at 16 ohms, and even lower for the higher 300 and 600 ohm impedances) outside the ideal load range.

+1 The monoblocks I use heat my room. It's pleasant in the winter, but makes the A/C run harder in the summer. Really. It's kind of sneaky, too, I really don't notice the heat until I shut them down. My amps are standard 19" rack width, I think the heat sinks on each side are 3" deep.

May 26, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #59,564 of 151,658
D46347E4-7B77-47E2-B560-4E497143CDF2_1_105_c.jpeg
A nice photo of the Schiit pile with iMac, Yamaha SACD player and KEF LS50 speakers before the pile needs to find a new home in the re-vamped office. Could be a while before usage begins again. Waiting on a new desk et al.

-1 for keeping your password on a sticky on your monitor

and

-1 for posting a photo of it to the intarwebs

:ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back