Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 6, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #58,201 of 150,380
Oops! I misspelled wipsie as wispie in my post above. But I was searching for wipsie.
My first Google result :darthsmile:
Please note the copyright of this term is owned by @Pietro Cozzi Tinin
I think it is the pronunciation after a few (or more) of those

wipsie.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #58,202 of 150,380
From what I have read version 4 of the Raspberry Pi separates the USB and Ethernet busses which ameliorated some of the noise issues.

However I have not yet been able to find any articles or reviews or comparisons of using v4 for audio without a HAT, so I don't know how well it solves the problem.

I believe you are correct that they finally got USB right on the 4, even a proper USB3 implementation. However, I think they all run hot and need a fan to keep from throttling. Electronics, fans, and audiphiles don't usually get along nicely :wink:

Apr 6, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #58,203 of 150,380
I believe you are correct that they finally got USB right on the 4, even a proper USB3 implementation. However, I think they all run hot and need a fan to keep from throttling. Electronics, fans, and audiphiles don't usually get along nicely :wink:

The current firmware greatly improves the Pi4b thermal behavior over the initial release.

I run 2 of them 24/7, without fans, a 2 gig in a Hifiberry steel case on Rune, and a 4 gig in a finned armor case on Buster or 64 bit Gentoo. I rarely see temps over 50C on either.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #58,204 of 150,380
The current firmware greatly improves the Pi4b thermal behavior over the initial release.

I run 2 of them 24/7, without fans, a 2 gig in a Hifiberry steel case on Rune, and a 4 gig in a finned armor case on Buster or 64 bit Gentoo. I rarely see temps over 50C on either.

That's good to hear. I might have to go to Pi4 for my next audio project. I'm a big fan of the metal cases for noise isolation, but that might also be an outdated attitude.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #58,205 of 150,380
That's good to hear. I might have to go to Pi4 for my next audio project. I'm a big fan of the metal cases for noise isolation, but that might also be an outdated attitude.

My thinking, as well. Steel can't hurt, if you're in an electrically noisy environment like mine. I'm also a radio ham, so there can be stronger signals as well, from time to time. :D

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #58,206 of 150,380
You guys that have the latest Pi4.... Are you using the optional heatsinks on it? Maybe the latest firmware makes them not necessary? I still have a few Pi3's...I've been using one with the Digi + (or Pro, can't remember) HAT on it and it's worked well via coax out. Although my next step was to buy a Pi2AES so I can do AES/EBU or BNC. Maybe a PI4 is in the future though I won't be using USB.

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #58,207 of 150,380
Just re the oil crisis - what if we took a cue from Amsterdam or Copenhagen and shifted from cars to bicycles? Even grandmas bicycle in Amsterdam. And with no helmets!

Sorry to be so late to this topic, but: not for me, thanks, I have fifteen miles each way to work and all but a half mile is by freeway (with no real alternates via surface streets).

Apr 6, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #58,208 of 150,380
You guys that have the latest Pi4.... Are you using the optional heatsinks on it? Maybe the latest firmware makes them not necessary? I still have a few Pi3's...I've been using one with the Digi + (or Pro, can't remember) HAT on it and it's worked well via coax out. Although my next step was to buy a Pi2AES so I can do AES/EBU or BNC. Maybe a PI4 is in the future though I won't be using USB.

I used the heatsinks and a fan case on mine, but haven't played with it enough, or with the new firmware to know if it is necessary. My previous one was a 3B that lives in an un-conditioned attic receiving ADSB/UAT and gets quite hot on a summer day, so I'm a little paranoid about heat.

I've had no problems with light audio use on a 3B with the older pi2 (502DAC?) in the pi2 acryllic case running RuneAudio for S/PDIF to a modi multibit. The home system gets much lighter use so I can't say I've run it through the wringer, but it's been problem free for occasional use (except for a nearby lightning strike last summer, but that's not the electronic's fault).

Unfortunately, there seems to be no standard for the placement of the audio connectors on the hat, so if you want a metal case, you seem to be locked in to the company that made the hat, and for pi2 I don't believe they do metal, only acryllic. The hifiberry ones are functional, but feel a bit thin to my taste, but have survived years of (ab)use. The Allo aluminum cases are built like brick Schiit-houses.

My thinking, as well. Steel can't hurt, if you're in an electrically noisy environment like mine. I'm also a radio ham, so there can be stronger signals as well, from time to time. :D

73 de aa1i qth fn32

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #58,209 of 150,380
The Audio related workload is so minimal that heatsinks should not be necessary. Even with the throttling, the Pi 4 is STILL faster than a Pi 3B+ due to the improved instruction set of the new CPU. The decoupling of the USB port from the network port should improve the USB output and is the major feature from the audio standpoint. I have not tried it however. I am replete with streamers right now as I made a number of 3B+ based Pi2Design streamers and don't need any at present. I might try it for fun once the COVID19 issues die down as I am rather busy at the moment.

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #58,211 of 150,380
Sunday afternoon drive around is next. No stopping, only sight seeing.

So far so good on that. Some countries have a moratorium on "driving around" - necessary trips only (groceries, medications, etc.) - on the theory that car accidents can put police, first responders & the med system at unnecessary risk and you can't be in a car accident if you're not driving your car.

I'm hoping it stays that way up here. Once the snow clears off I am going to REALLY need to take my motorcycle out for a meditative head clearing.

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #58,212 of 150,380
I have 2 RPi 4s running RoPieee, one on a Bifrost 2 and one on a Gungnir MultiBit. The Gungnir MultiBit has Unison on one USB port of the RPi 4 and a Mutec MC-1.2 and MC-3+ with a 10MHz Rubidium Clock feeding it.

There is no quality difference, the RPi 4 is great as is the Unison input. All in my opinion of course.

So the RPi 4s are not using HATs?

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #58,213 of 150,380
LOL read the books, he did have some serious structural damage at one point.

Thanks to Pietro for helping with some brass badges and for correcting my Latin. This is a gift for a friend, I am testing it and then it gets shipped out sometime this week.thumbnail_IMG_2005.jpg

Oooohhh.... Look at all the VU meters!

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #58,214 of 150,380
So the RPi 4s are not using HATs?

Correct, everything is running off the onboard USB.

They also live in Flirc cases which are really nice looking.

For about $70 plus any donation you may give to the RoPieee developer(s). It’s an amazing endpoint first me. Roon works great and if you use the XL version DLNA, AirPlay, and Spotify can stream to it.

The only HAT I’ve considered is a PoE had so I don’t need the USB power supply but it wouldn’t fit in the case anyways.

Apr 6, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #58,215 of 150,380
Jason - great post about disruptions. What was of particular interest to me is your experience in the San Fernando Valley. My family lived in Van Nuys until 1971, when we moved to Orange County. So while we missed the Northridge earthquake, we were affected by the Sylmar quake. Our family of six stayed with friends in Burbank over fears a dam might break and flood the valley.

Cool reminder about Omni magazine, too.

Best to you and yours and all at Schiit. Thanks for being a voice of sanity in an insane time.

Yep, I was actually in the 1971 Sylmar quake. My parents' house was about 800 yards away from the Veteran's Hospital that collapsed in the quake. I was just a little kid, so I don't remember much about it, other than (a) being happy that I knew what was happening--my mom had just read about earthquakes to me using a kids encyclopedia, so when I woke up, clutching the bed frame as it danced around the room, I thought, "Oh, I know what this is, an earthquake." (b) some houses fell and most lost their chimneys in the earthquake, (c) the power was off for a couple of days, so we stayed at our aunt's house in Arleta, which I thought was cool. (d) we didn't have potable water for a couple of weeks, so they brought it in water trucks, (e) we didn't have gas for a long time, probably months, because I remember my parents cooking on an electric skillet for what seemed like forever.

I LOLed out loud when the new Amazing Stories (AppleTV) directly referenced the 1971 Sylmar quake. That brought back a bunch of memories.

I'm in Los Angeles, and grew up in the San Fernando Valley, close to where Jason grew up. Starting In the 1950's, maybe even the 1940's, builders started building houses in local mountains that hung out into space. I rented one for a while when I was a student. It was not a fancy show case house, and made to look like a "normal" structure. Buildings like this were a solution to building on a steep slope. Part of the buildings are "directly" attached to the ground where the street is. There are thousand of buildings like that. Sometimes the land gives way...
...but not too often. And see Jason's post above about earthquakes.
I vaguely think that few if any are being built this way anymore. Insurance would be one issue.

Yeah, those are some crazy houses. They are probably not as bad as you might think in an earthquake (you want the house to MOVE, not to be solid--bricks are very very bad.) However, I wouldn't want to be in one. There are some surviving examples. I bet insurance is so problematic that you may have to own the house outright (and go without insurance) to make it feasible.

Current practice for building on a hill involves cutting back into the hillside, sinking in caissons 30' deep or so, then building a foundation and retaining wall on which all the rest of the house can sit (usually a typical frame house on top of the crazy/heroic foundation.) Its a lot harder to do it like that, and a lot more expensive, but as far as I know, you'd never get permits for a stilt house anymore. But I don't know all the particulars. I just know some of the details, because I always wanted a house with a view.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back