Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 7, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #58,231 of 151,424
nice work on the copper. shiny.

is that an xcelite screwdriver/ nutdriver behind the meters? my xcelite nutdrivers have a funky smell to the plastic handles, esp if left in a closed drawer for a while :frowning2:

My dad had a bunch of Xcelite screwdrivers, and I remember well that funky smell. It wasn't nasty or anything, just distinctive and kind of weird. I wasn't allowed to use them as a kid -- seems I had ample skill for taking things apart, but was a bit lacking at putting them back together. :)

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #58,233 of 151,424
7w2J.gif

Here ya go ...
Yeah. But it's not the saaaaaaaaaaammmmmme (high pitch whine).

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #58,234 of 151,424
Dear Mr Stoddard. i think you need some

1586287715156.jpeg

regarding the Asgard3.

i was looking forward to the asgard3 after reviews only to discover that it is seriously flawed as regards to vocals being very sibilant and squawkie the moment anything gets a bit "hot". its a shame as the rest of the spectrum is superb.

i think you need to buy some Beyerdynamic headphones just for testing purposes.

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #58,235 of 151,424
I'm very much a new Schiit-head but the sound of the Magni 3+ next to the Monoprice 887 THX, both new to me, was enough to not just leave me very impressed and surprised (I mean, that's a $300 difference), but also ordering an Asgard 3 to see if I could get the one thing I preferred on the 887, which was bigger, richer bass.

The Asgard 3 arrived yesterday and last night I got to listening. I haven't even begun the side-by-side comparisons with the Magni 3+ (I'm pretty curious to hear the differences), and the 887 already went back, but I'm already very, very impressed. I've been listening with my HD660S, and honestly the Asgard is almost too powerful -- I have to be careful. The snap and punch from good transient dynamics is still there -- what I preferred in the Magni over the Monoprice -- but it does seem like there's a bit more in the low-end and honestly just that much more detail and soundstage. Even at lower volumes it just feels like everything gets all the power it needs to express itself. I guess that's the sort of thing you get with a well-designed amp that has plenty of power.

My only complaint is that there's a very slight deeper line on the brushed aluminum front, which makes for a minor cosmetic blemish. I hate that I'm neurotic enough to notice, and I'll probably forget about it in a day or so, but it's kinda nagging at me. :smile:
Welcome to the thread, @onethinline . Re: brushed aluminum teeny tiny cosmetic blemish. When I started this ridiculous hobby, I initially covered up all the blazing white LEDs with electrical tape. I also bundled EITR-MODI together with the same tape.... aaaand eventually removed it all. Tape residue all over the place. End result: I now understand why some customers pine for the black painted chassis.
RE: Asgard vs Magni vs Monoprice. I find myself swapping between my Magni, Valhalla, and Vali. Mixing and matching. Trying out different headphones. Different kit for different music. For me, the differences are subtle. Meh... I'm getting the most satisfaction with trying out different headphones. The best toy I added to my audio was my Loki Mini. It's a great device to colour the audio. :)

Apr 7, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #58,236 of 151,424

1586287715156.jpeg

regarding the Asgard3.

i was looking forward to the asgard3 after reviews only to discover that it is seriously flawed as regards to vocals being very sibilant and squawkie the moment anything gets a bit "hot". its a shame as the rest of the spectrum is superb.

This is very strange as I found the Asgard 3 to be by far the smoothest sounding solid state amp I have ever tried in terms of sibilance. I am using the HD800S which is notorious for being sibilant in combination with the wrong amp. I heard the sibilance with the Heresy and El Amp II but the Magni 3+ and especially the Asgard 3 have been exceptionally smooth. Do you have any other headphone to try it with?

Apr 7, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #58,238 of 151,424
Yep, that's not what an Asgard 3 sounds like. If you just got it from us, we can swap it out if it appears to be problematic. Contact orders@schiit.com and they'll get you taken care of.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 7, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #58,239 of 151,424

regarding the Asgard3.

Which Beyerdynamic are you using? The DT 990 and 1990 pro have massive frequency response peaks in the 8kHz range. No matter what electronics you're using you're going to get sibilance. It's the exact reason I won't buy those headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #58,241 of 151,424
regarding the Asgard3

What previous headphone amps have you used? What recordings are you hearing the sibilance? HD600 had a tendency to sound shouty with vocals, not sure how the HD660 sounds though. If it has the smooth mids/treble of the HD650, then something else is up.

Asgard 3 sounds nothing like what you posted and that's with Sennheisers.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #58,245 of 151,424
Mmmm.... sounds like he de-flowered someone and didn't live up to the consequences. (old American style wise that is)

I briefly considered justifiable homicide, but figured a normal jury would put me in the slammer anyway for spending more on a cartridge than most of them spent on their entire system. Now if I could get a jury exclusively of audiophiles... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back