Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 7, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #58,246 of 149,304
I briefly considered justifiable homicide, but figured a normal jury would put me in the slammer anyway for spending more on a cartridge than most of them spent on their entire system. Now if I could get a jury exclusively of audiophiles... :)

No, a "normal" jury would have you committed to a mental hospital for still listening to vinyl. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #58,247 of 149,304
MP3's only in your cell

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #58,249 of 149,304
Cruel and Unusual Punishment violation

Yeah. Really cruel. What's next? $3.99 earbuds and a catalog solely of rap? Glad I just banned the kid. :) :)

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #58,250 of 149,304
T1's as well?

Yup. Many perceive this sound signature as "detailed". It's just the trebble jacked up about 10db at 8.5kHz. Just google any Beyer headphone and "frequency response" then go to images. Everyone's measurements show the peak regardless of the measurement method.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #58,251 of 149,304
Yeah. Really cruel. What's next? $3.99 earbuds and a catalog solely of rap? Glad I just banned the kid. :) :)
We still have the ABBA and BoneyM punishments.
But you made me very curious of what the guy really did.
Was he maybe the one de-flowered with maybe one of your warm toobz?

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #58,252 of 149,304
I'm just on the fence whether to wait and see whether a replacement for the Gungnir…

I'm in the same boat. I "need" another DAC for my 2-channel system so I can put my Gungnir MB A2 back into my headphone rig. Was thinking about just getting the Bifrost 2, but would wait if I knew there was an updated Gungnir or Yggdrasil expected in the near future.

What are the latest rumors?

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #58,253 of 149,304
Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone, but my deep throat source says a fully discrete, fully balanced Nexus and Continuity-based clock radio with high-precision time crystal. And the numeric display will be made up of patented white LED matrix that eschews light-pipes therefore basking the entire room in an intense white light to ensure that one wakes up on time by never allowing them to go to sleep. (Imagine 144 Magni 3s (not +) powered on in your bedroom room)) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

OK -- seriously. Jason has pretty much stated there will not be any replacement of Yggdrasil in the foreseeable future. They will continue to develop and offer modular upgrades, but so-far as a wholesale re-thinking of that DAC -- not likely. They want to honor the investment made by those that have purchased an Yggdrasil. Plus, I'm sure it still has plenty of legs left.

Gungnir, on the other hand? Crickets from Schiit, IIRC. That usually means something is up. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #58,254 of 149,304
Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone, but my deep throat source says a fully discrete, fully balanced Nexus and Continuity-based clock radio with high-precision time crystal. And the numeric display will be made up of patented white LED matrix that eschews light-pipes therefore basking the entire room in an intense white light to ensure that one wakes up on time by never allowing them to go to sleep. (Imagine 144 Magni 3s (not +) powered on in your bedroom room)) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

OK -- seriously. Jason has pretty much stated there will not be any replacement of Yggdrasil in the foreseeable future. They will continue to develop and offer modular upgrades, but so-far as a whole-sale re-thinking of that DAC -- not likely. They want to honor the investment made by those that have purchased an Yggdrasil. Plus, I'm sure it still has plenty of legs left.

Gungnir, on the other hand? Crickets from Schiit, IIRC. That usually means something is up. :wink:

Only if it's a binary clock...

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #58,255 of 149,304
tice-500x252.jpg

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #58,256 of 149,304

OK -- seriously. Jason has pretty much stated there will not be any replacement of Yggdrasil in the foreseeable future. They will continue to develop and offer modular upgrades, but so-far as a whole-sale re-thinking of that DAC -- not likely. They want to honor the investment made by those that have purchased an Yggdrasil. Plus, I'm sure it still has plenty of legs left.

I heard that the display would be NOS Nixie tubes.

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #58,257 of 149,304
I'm in the same boat. I "need" another DAC for my 2-channel system so I can put my Gungnir MB A2 back into my headphone rig. Was thinking about just getting the Bifrost 2, but would wait if I knew there was an updated Gungnir or Yggdrasil expected in the near future.

What are the latest rumors?
just get a Yggdrasil GS (doesn't cost that much more than Gungnir MB) and someday there will be a remote control option for it. If (and its a big if) there's an Analog 3, then just upgrade then.

it wouldn't make sense for any version of gungnir (A2, Ax, or gen 2 which does not exist right now) to sound better than the Yggdrasil, which is their top-of-the-line DAC.

hopefully, the Gadget and the CD Transport will be available soon

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #58,258 of 149,304
regarding the Asgard3.

i was looking forward to the asgard3 after reviews only to discover that it is seriously flawed as regards to vocals being very sibilant and squawkie the moment anything gets a bit "hot". its a shame as the rest of the spectrum is superb.

i think you need to buy some Beyerdynamic headphones just for testing purposes.

You just described how some people feel about many Beyer models. The problem is not the Asgard

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #58,259 of 149,304
We still have the ABBA and BoneyM punishments.
But you made me very curious of what the guy really did.
Was he maybe the one de-flowered with maybe one of your warm toobz?

Hmm.:thinking: BoneyM maybe, but I didn't think listening to ABBA would be much of a punishment. But I suppose if I ever cross the line, and it does ever happen to me I'll just have to throw out an...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #58,260 of 149,304
I briefly considered justifiable homicide, but figured a normal jury would put me in the slammer anyway for spending more on a cartridge than most of them spent on their entire system. Now if I could get a jury exclusively of audiophiles... :)
I believe the phrasing is "jury of your peers". I imagine your peers should be able to handle a simple blind listening test of various tubes and identify what they are, so I feel that would be a reasonable test to implement when selecting jurors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back