Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #56,221 of 149,325
If you can come up with something equivalent to two vidars (400W) at the size of a single vidar, with built in volume control (remote?) and vidar heat sinks, then i won't mind paying USD1800-2100 for it.
I'm running my SR1a with two vidars and a freya S, with a 12 inch box fan for cooling. The hassle i could save on space, cooling, cables, power consumption and sockets would be well worth it, not to mention the improvement in sound quality. So go for it.

Hehe you don't want much...

I'd like something like this, although Ragnarok size...

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #56,222 of 149,325
If you can come up with something equivalent to two vidars (400W) at the size of a single vidar, with built in volume control (remote?) and vidar heat sinks, then i won't mind paying USD1800-2100 for it.
I'm running my SR1a with two vidars and a freya S, with a 12 inch box fan for cooling. The hassle i could save on space, cooling, cables, power consumption and sockets would be well worth it, not to mention the improvement in sound quality. So go for it.

Read the Raal thread. i believe someone posted an issue if you drive the sr1a with that much power.

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #56,224 of 149,325
I never got a chance to hear the Carvers. I loved both the CLS's and the Quads for what they did well, but neither had enough bass for my tastes (and subwoofers back then were a cruel joke). The Divas pushed all my buttons, and while the Duettas couldn't do bass like the Divas, they had just enough to be a respectable alternative for poor people.
I could not afford Diva. Thus I bought Duetta instead. :o2smile:

I had been happy with Duetta Sig driven by Krell KSA 150 from 1989 to 1999.

I sold it since I wish to go for subbass on 1999.

But I should have kept it.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #56,225 of 149,325
My choice was between the Apogee Stages and Martin-Logan Quest(?). The Stages won. Eventually I added some home-brew subs (dual 8" drivers for each channel) I made from the optional stands I bought later. A reasonably successful attempt at making a Mini-Grand system. When I finally decided to sell them (I still miss them sometimes) I had the Stages, the subs, a Threshold active crossover, an S-500 for the woofers and a pair of SA-1 for the panels. Out of all of that, only the SA-1 remain...

I heard a pair of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers when I was in high school. Blew me away, almost literally. The salesman turned them up so loud those woofers ruffled my pants legs. They sounded really good. However, at that time I was lusting after the Kef 104/2.

There is a pair of CLS on AudiogoN right now... Also a pair of Apogee Stage and pairs of Kef 105/3 and 107.
My choice was between Apogee Duetta and Martin Logan CLS.

Although l liked violin tone out of CLS, its balance was too bass shy.

Thus I had been happy with Duetta Sig driven by Krell KSA 150 from 1989 to 1999 without adding subwoofer.

But I had never owned electrostatic speaker in my life.

Instead I pulled the trigger for Stax 009s and Kgsshv Carbon amp last year.

Funny thing happened after I got Raal Sr1a.

I favor ribbon headphone over ES headphone.

Although I enjoy nuanced details out of 009s, I favor open and fast sound out of Sr1a.
:)

I expect to get Jot R tomorrow.

It will be my first Schitt product.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #56,226 of 149,325
AD436BAF-16B4-4EF5-91C0-089C2716A914.jpeg

Thus I had been happy with Duetta Sig driven by Krell KSA 150 from 1989 to 1999 without adding subwoofer.

Although I enjoy nuanced details out of 009s, I favor open and fast out Sr1a more.

if you like the SR1a for those traits I think the Jotunheim R is a shoe in but I’m biased, I pushed for its creation.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #56,227 of 149,325

I can’t stress this enough, the Jotunheim R at 14A/ch RMS clipping is the equivalent of 1000W/ch RMS from a speaker amp with the interface box included with the SR1a.

It should be fully capable of deafening you and burning up the ribbons if you were inclined to do things beyond reason with the volume knob, just like any high power amplifier for any headphone or speaker.

Personally, a Jotunheim R stacked on a Bifrost 2 fed by RoPieee on a small table next to my listening chair (shown in above post) is a hard headphone setup to beat, and nothing I’ve ever listened to has bested it for me.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #56,228 of 149,325
In doing active comparisons between Vidar's in dual-mono configuration and the Jotunheim R, I would take the Jotunheim R every time, and twice on Sundays. It has a better tonal match with the SR1a, yields better transparency and resolution, and I can't get anywhere NEAR full-volume on the thing (not that I need to).

Proper coverage of the SR1a with (and without) the Jotunheim R in a pending review (next day or two), but in the mean time:

SR1a + Dual Vidar (1024).jpg

Rapidly replaced by:

JotR - SR1a (1024).jpg

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #56,229 of 149,325

if you like the SR1a for those traits I think the Jotunheim R is a shoe in but I’m biased, I pushed for its creation.
I hope so.

Currently I am driving Sr1a with Crown Xls 2502(775W for 4ohm) with good result of fast transitent.

But after getting Jot R, I plan to use two Crown (bridged 2400W for 4ohm) to drive two Scaena 18 inch subwoofers.

One question to you David.

Will it be fine to leave Jot R 24/7 on with good ventilation?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #56,230 of 149,325
In doing active comparisons between Vidar's in dual-mono configuration and the Jotunheim R, I would take the Jotunheim R every time, and twice on Sundays. It has a better tonal match with the SR1a, yields better transparency and resolution, and I can't get anywhere NEAR full-volume on the thing (not that I need to).

Proper coverage of the SR1a with (and without) the Jotunheim R in a pending review (next day or two), but in the mean time:

Rapidly replaced by:

Thanks a lot Ian for giving me chance to audition Sr1a at your home.

I look forward to reading your excellent review on Sr1a driven by Jot R.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #56,231 of 149,325

Although I enjoy nuanced details out of 009s, I favor open and fast sound out of Sr1a.

I always wanted to try the Krell KSA/ KMA amplifiers. And the Jeff Rowland Model 2, and the Mark Levinson No 26 (or 20), and... and... and...

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #56,232 of 149,325
When Mark Hollis set out to create his Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden album he was attempting to produce his own version of Bob Dylan's New Morning, Can's Mago Tago and the Duke Ellington and John Coltrane live album. To me this is the most brilliant rock/post rock album ever produced. It's been my reference for testing audio systems since it was released in 1988. The album starts with the track 'The Rainbow'. This album will test your system right from the first notes. If your system can hold it together at volume on the third song Desire you should stop upgrading right now and just spend more money on music. I've heard many an expensive system get destroyed by this song. It just sounds like a mess of noise. The fifth track 'I Believe in You' is just about the prettiest most heartfelt rock song written. Mark's voice and style is unique too say the least, if you can make out his lyrics clearly you are golden.

If everyone here completely ignores everything I say on this forum going forward but takes my advise and picks up copy of this album I'd be a happy man. If you are a rock fan and have not heard this album you simply owe it yourself to do so. If you are not a rock fan you also owe it to yourself to experience a rock album that was composed by one of the greats of this genre. It's every bit as brilliant as anything you will find in jazz or classical music. Lots of great info about Mark Hollis and Talk Talk on the interweb if you are so inclined.

I'm writing this partly because you all have good Schitt, I have no advise to offer you about equipment. If I was allowed to have my Schitt but could only bring one album with me it would be Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden. What would be yours? Tell me about your 'if you could only have one' album.

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #56,233 of 149,325
When Mark Hollis set out to create his Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden album he was attempting to produce his own version of Bob Dylan's New Morning, Can's Mago Tago and the Duke Ellington and John Coltrane live album. To me this is the most brilliant rock/post rock album ever produced. It's been my reference for testing audio systems since it was released in 1988. The album starts with the track 'The Rainbow'. This album will test your system right from the first notes. If your system can hold it together at volume on the third song Desire you should stop upgrading right now and just spend more money on music. I've heard many an expensive system get destroyed by this song. It just sounds like a mess of noise. The fifth track 'I Believe in You' is just about the prettiest most heartfelt rock song written. Mark's voice and style is unique too say the least, if you can make out his lyrics clearly you are golden.

If everyone here completely ignores everything I say on this forum going forward but takes my advise and picks up copy of this album I'd be a happy man. If you are a rock fan and have not heard this album you simply owe it yourself to do so. If you are not a rock fan you also owe it to yourself to experience a rock album that was composed by one of the greats of this genre. It's every bit as brilliant as anything you will find in jazz or classical music. Lots of great info about Mark Hollis and Talk Talk on the interweb if you are so inclined.

I'm writing this partly because you all have good Schitt, I have no advise to offer you about equipment. If I was allowed to have my Schitt but could only bring one album with me it would be Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden. What would be yours? Tell me about your 'if you could only have one' album.

Thanks for the suggestion and notes! I'll give it a listen. I've always liked their namesake song from The Party's Over.

upload_2020-1-25_11-27-50.png

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #56,234 of 149,325
My Heresy just landed and damn. Where is the noise? It replaced my Magni 3 which, while perfect for my needs as it is, gives a little noise particularly when turning the volume knob. The Heresy is dead silent in every aspect. I've been swapping out different headphones and getting power and detail like never before. Still actively looking for imperfections and finding none. I also have a Bifrost, Wyrd, and Loki in the chain, and generally stick to my Hifiman planar magnetics for listening.

The Heresy could be $400 and it would still be a value. I am totally obsessed with my headphones again. Great little box, Jason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back