Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 26, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #56,251 of 149,130
Stranger schiit's happened. Work first and teach them critters high school science. Gotta earn those sweet, sweet provincial tax dollars. Ignore the shrill talking heads on the radio & TV. I'm in this for the long haul (or 4.x years until I earn that OTPPlan). What you won't see me doing is lingering around & hogging up teaching contracts. Let the younger generation into the system, eh. :flag_ca:

Some talking heads are good. :stuck_out_tongue: True Stories is my favorite album for setting up a cartridge. The first 30 seconds of Papa Legba helps me dial in VTA, azimuth, and tracking force to perfection.

upload_2020-1-26_8-47-54.png

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #56,252 of 149,130
Off the top of my head, mine would likely be Fleetwood Mac's, Rumors. But that would likely change day-to-day or even hour-to-hour!! :D

Just queued up Mark Hollis ...

Very nice. A definite addition to my collection!!
You should check out a great ensemble from Montreal, Canada called People For Audio. Sadly they seem to have moved on sometime ago by the Album The New Ancients is quite a treat sonically. It isn't necessarily that it is a stunning recording/mastering, although it is certainly good, it is the content and production value that really shines through. Be curious what you thought. They seem to be quite an obscure group (not surprising really).

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #56,254 of 149,130
You should check out a great ensemble from Montreal, Canada called People For Audio. Sadly they seem to have moved on sometime ago by the Album The New Ancients is quite a treat sonically. It isn't necessarily that it is a stunning recording/mastering, although it is certainly good, it is the content and production value that really shines through. Be curious what you thought. They seem to be quite an obscure group (not surprising really).

A definite add!! The jazz influence is most evident!!

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #56,255 of 149,130
As a young teenage kid I used to love the album "It's my Life" from Talk Talk so when I read an enthusiastic review of the album "Spirit of Eden" I went out and bought it without listening to it myself.

It was very different from what I knew - of course the review prepared me for that to some extend.

From the very first sounds I was totally mesmerized by the music of the album and it has remained a favourite of mine ever since but I've actually not used it a lot for testing audio equipment. It would be totally a good choice for that indeed!

My favourite album for testing audio equipment has become the Orchestral Tubular Bells from Mike Oldfield. Unfortunately that album's really hard to find online, I don't think that there's any streaming service which services it. You'll have to find a second hand CD of it. Here's a link to a not-so-good version on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVOETYWYpIC7OVSlT9EYz85Q_zcXOlb2o

Here's a Discogs link to it: https://www.discogs.com/The-Royal-P...id-Bedford-The-Orchestral-Tubula/master/17394

If asked for "one album to bring with me" it might be this one (although Spirit of Eden wouldn't be a bad choice either :wink: )

Tubular Bells was my first experience with weed, hi-fi and progressive rock all at the same time. I was 14, it was 1974. That experience sent me on my audiophile journey.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #56,256 of 149,130
Thanks for that, they sound interesting. I put them on my hard copy search list.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #56,257 of 149,130
When Mark Hollis set out to create his Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden album he was attempting to produce his own version of Bob Dylan's New Morning, Can's Mago Tago and the Duke Ellington and John Coltrane live album. To me this is the most brilliant rock/post rock album ever produced. It's been my reference for testing audio systems since it was released in 1988. The album starts with the track 'The Rainbow'. This album will test your system right from the first notes. If your system can hold it together at volume on the third song Desire you should stop upgrading right now and just spend more money on music. I've heard many an expensive system get destroyed by this song. It just sounds like a mess of noise. The fifth track 'I Believe in You' is just about the prettiest most heartfelt rock song written. Mark's voice and style is unique too say the least, if you can make out his lyrics clearly you are golden.

Like I'm sure a lot of you do, I often listen to music while perusing head-fi threads. I've discovered a lot of great music recommended by fellow head-fiers, especially when I've participated in the holiday CD swaps of the past. Your post inspired me to get up and put this CD on, even though I was happily sitting on my couch listening to Bishop Briggs with my Akita's head in my lap enjoying a perfect cold and grey Sunday morning. I'd add that anyone who likes Talk Talk from their later years, or music in general, should also get Mark Hollis' self titled solo album. His emotionally charged vocals and melancholy piano are spectacular in their sparseness.
EF5DB237-10C0-416C-B3C2-EBED64A515C3.jpeg 1E0F667B-E4CB-4152-BD61-1340C9C0F1B6.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #56,258 of 149,130
Thanks for that, they sound interesting. I put them on my hard copy search list.
Great. I very often look into material I read about in the forums. fantastic way to find new material.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #56,259 of 149,130
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #56,260 of 149,130
Like I'm sure a lot of you do, I often listen to music while perusing head-fi threads. I've discovered a lot of great music recommended by fellow head-fiers, especially when I've participated in the holiday CD swaps of the past. Your post inspired me to get up and put this CD on, even though I was happily sitting on my couch listening to Bishop Briggs with my Akita's head in my lap enjoying a perfect cold and grey Sunday morning. I'd add that anyone who likes Talk Talk from their later years, or music in general, should also get Mark Hollis' self titled solo album. His emotionally charged vocals and melancholy piano are spectacular in their sparseness.
Nice post. Fun to look at the few CD labels we can see and identify the artists or albums. Obviously we have a few Bowie, but it looks like Beyoncé and Talk Talk as well are facing out.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #56,261 of 149,130

Just ordered from Amazon.

JC

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #56,262 of 149,130
Nice post. Fun to look at the few CD labels we can see and identify the artists or albums. Obviously we have a few Bowie, but it looks like Beyoncé and Talk Talk as well are facing out.
It probably dates both of us that I have a Cars CD at easy reach and that you thought it was Beyonce :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #56,263 of 149,130
It probably dates both of us that I have a Cars CD at easy reach and that you thought it was Beyonce :wink:
Actually I'm 51 and grew up with The Cars as an influence. Now I know the album!! Thanks.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #56,264 of 149,130
Who / what is this Beyonce ya'll keep mentioning? :confused:

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #56,265 of 149,130

I love the Cars, and Ocasek's work afterwards -- especially these two:

upload_2020-1-26_13-51-47.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back