Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 30, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #52,697 of 151,284
Got it, I mean I guess I could just use the built in surround sound , windows sonic for headphones

Yup, or pay the small fee for Atmos. Or use Darin Fong's Out Of Your Head software which has a lot of virtual surround presets...

Or go with the Hesuvi/Equalizer APO route which gives you many things for free, but I still question the legality of that one, as it's using licensed dsps and not charging anything. That one is in a grey area I'm not comfortable with.

PC has many avenues for accurate virtual surround programs. I tend to stick the hardware route, but all those work just as well.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #52,698 of 151,284
Yup, or pay the small fee for Atmos. Or use Darin Fong's Out Of Your Head software which has a lot of virtual surround presets...

Or go with the Hesuvi/Equalizer APO route which gives you many things for free, but I still question the legality of that one, as it's using licensed dsps and not charging anything. That one is in a grey area I'm not comfortable with.

PC has many avenues for accurate virtual surround programs. I tend to stick the hardware route, but all those work just as well.
I am too lazy to learn how to use an equalizer and I don't know what is darin fongs out of your head , sounds like dolby atmos is a simple one click away from my solution .

Oct 30, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #52,699 of 151,284
I am too lazy to learn how to use an equalizer and I don't know what is darin fongs out of your head , sounds like dolby atmos is a simple one click away from my solution .

I would be inclined to agree, but for some reason, Atmos doesn't sound quite...right to me. After having heard the one contained in HeSuVi. The one in HeSuVi sounded like what I expect of a virtual surround. The Atmos setting that you pay for itself sounds worse. I wish I knew why.

Darin's OOYH is basically a program with a bunch of presets for live speaker setups recorded by a dummy head. So basically it's emulating some really insane speaker setups, like an actual movie theater, private home theaters, recording studios, and even super famous places like some Indian palace, etc. It's really neat, and most of them work very well, like any Atmos, or other dsps.

The problem is most presets cost quite a bit of money, but you can try short sessions with each to see which you like. The basic ones are good alone as well.

https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #52,700 of 151,284
I would be inclined to agree, but for some reason, Atmos doesn't sound quite...right to me. After having heard the one contained in HeSuVi. The one in HeSuVi sounded like what I expect of a virtual surround. The Atmos setting that you pay for itself sounds worse. I wish I knew why.

Darin's OOYH is basically a program with a bunch of presets for live speaker setups recorded by a dummy head. So basically it's emulating some really insane speaker setups, like an actual movie theater, private home theaters, recording studios, and even super famous places like some Indian palace, etc. It's really neat, and most of them work very well, like any Atmos, or other dsps.

The problem is most presets cost quite a bit of money, but you can try short sessions with each to see which you like. The basic ones are good alone as well.

https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/
thx for the info , I will check out both and experiment

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #52,702 of 151,284
We try.

Like I said in the chapter, we're going to be doing everything we can to preserve people's investment in the higher-end DACs, especially Yggdrasil. Unfortunately, we're not perfect. Gungnir will need a firmware change for Unison USB when it comes out in January, which means it needs to come back to the mothership. This will hopefully be the last of the old-style, painful upgrades. Argh. Sorry about that.

Bifrost and Yggdrasil won't need to come back to us for Unison USB.

Guess I will have to muddle through with gen 5 usb for the forseeable future. Probably moot as I probably couldn't afford the Unison update anyway.

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #52,703 of 151,284
A shame the HEL doesn't have an optical input. That would've been ACES for those of us who do like our virtual surround dsps being sent from other devices. I mean, sure they can send that out from pre-outs, but then we don't get the Schiit's internal DAC working its magic. Other than that, looks like a banger for those who don't use dsps and play in regular stereo, which I admit to being most people. And it's not like windows doesn't have Dolby Atmos functionality, though it's something I personally don't think works as well as it should. YMMV.

This is something I'll glady tell people asking me about dac/amps for normal stereo play to look into.

Glad you guys are branching out this far.

Sony is supposedly investing a lot into 3D Audio for the PS5. As Cerny himself said, the current gen didn't do enough to differentiate itself from the previous gen and that will change. Right from the Developer Kit. Not sure if it's 360 Audio, anything else based on MPEG-H or whatever.
We might finally get a good "default" solution for headphones and specialties if devs are willing to do it. The only thing really left is proper USB Audio support. Then the question of optical inputs is over.

Of course I would have liked a HEL with optical input, I agree with you there. We're 1 year away from the next gen now. Let's see what we get.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #52,704 of 151,284
Needs mo’ purple...:wink:
I was going to build some AC cords with purple mesh but it has not arrived yet. I may make a couple small ones for a Bifrost and Lyr though.

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #52,705 of 151,284
Amazon is certainly large enough to acquire Tidal, Qobuz and Roon, if they choose, and create a genuine sector dominating service.

I use Roon and Qobuz. I tried Amazon and thought it sounded like Youtube. Great for sharing on line, sucks for real listening. If they want to be considered for real listening, they have to improve dramatically.
I would really not want for Amazon to dominate and monopolize yet another segment of the market (any market). They're already too big as it is, for my tastes.

I prefer the smaller guys to stay around rather than just a few big services "for the masses".

But Amazon doesn't like competition, and they're pretty ruthless in driving down prices, driving out other players in the market.

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #52,706 of 151,284
I would really not want for Amazon to dominate and monopolize yet another segment of the market (any market). They're already too big as it is, for my tastes.

I prefer the smaller guys to stay around rather than just a few big services "for the masses".

But Amazon doesn't like competition, and they're pretty ruthless in driving down prices, driving out other players in the market.
Fortunately Amazon in Australia is pretty rubbishy, I think some people put products on there using the idea that - Amazon is the best price - to try and sell stuff at inflated prices.
I recently bought something from an Australian ebay store for $27, on Amazon people were trying to sell the exact same thing for $170 - $220, so unless Amazon Australia improves or buyers become more stupid we are safe from it for the moment.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #52,707 of 151,284
Jason,

In regard to Gungnir having to come back to the mothership for Unison.... Don't get discouraged by this . Some of us are quite agreeable to the process and understand the value in you offering these upgrades. You probably only hear about the painful customer experiences.. If it goes well, people expect that and just go about their business.

Already saving for the upgrade here. I passed on gen 5 to wait for this.. (well I bought an Eitr and use that)

That being said.. how about an Eitr U for people who don't want to send their DAC in?

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #52,708 of 151,284
I will hunt them down for you, tubes like that could make a mean hole in a $20 bill but nothing but the best for you! :ksc75smile: I will begin my search for 10% resistors and equivalent caps.:smile_phones:

You 'da man! If you get the resistors and caps from China, you can probably get a bag full for what one piece will cost you here. I can be patient, so no worries. :relaxed:

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #52,709 of 151,284
you could build it for him, without risking dropping a single 300B tube- just build it, untested... worse case, you wire it wrong, maybe applying the full B+ rail across the filament terminals...his 300B's will glow bright for sure, but briefly :frowning2: at that point, they are still useful, for the led-illuminated headphone stands. :wink:
6N6P as driver for 300B ??? or require matched quad 12au7 for enough oomph :wink:

You mean the plate *isn't* supposed to glow bright red? Dang, no wonder these things never seem to last long. Maybe my incoming AC voltage is too high. :relaxed:

A 6N6P would work well, but I'd rather have a 6SN7 or even 6SL7 mostly because I already have lots of both...mostly GE, of course. :relaxed:

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #52,710 of 151,284
@Paladin79 What? No money up front? No down payment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back