Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 30, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #52,726 of 148,518
Always has to be someone to step in and ruin the fun. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It is not that FLTWS is on my side in this, he is just very much not on your side. :ksc75smile:

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #52,727 of 148,518
Yeah I would need a retainer plus a quad of 300B tubes then and only then would I consider building Bill an amp. $5,000 up front would allow me to buy a resistor or two, maybe even an audio rated volume pot, just one though, this is going to be a very spartan build. No VU meters either, they would just confuse him anyway. I do have a bunch of left over GE tubes from the @bcowen 6sn7 tube challenge, a couple have a little life in them and the whole "matched tube" thing is probably overrated so I will just randomly pick two of them for his amp. GE, Ken-Rad VT 231 black glass, practically the same tube give or take an octave or so.

What are VU meters?

Wait...I know. They’re what you old guys had on your cassette tape recorders, right?

:smile:

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #52,728 of 148,518
What are VU meters?

Wait...I know. They’re what you old guys had on your cassette tape recorders, right?

:smile:
I beg your pardon, I moved up to reel to reel and had them there as well. :smile_phones:

ORT was a big fan, it is hard to think of VU meters without remembering his kindness and good humor. I am not sure if you knew him Bill but you would have liked him.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #52,729 of 148,518
Oct 30, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #52,730 of 148,518
Oct 30, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #52,731 of 148,518
Whoa.. that’s a nice lookin’ amp! Great patina.
Did I see some GE tubes in there too? :grinning:

I know, only the best for @bcowen, since it has two holes in the front, I figured a quarter inch jack in one opening and a 3.5 mm jack in the other for Bill's primary set of headphones:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ekids-...iqLmndmZUEna0ZsWYa8aAnoyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I keep trying to get him to move up to Beats but this pair seems to fit his anthropomorphic tendency more.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #52,732 of 148,518
ORT was a big fan, it is hard to think of VU meters without remembering his kindness and good humor. I am not sure if you knew him Bill but you would have liked him.
There really should be some digital monument on this forum where we remember the fallen headfi-ers.

And ehr.... I do like the Hello Kitty cans very much.
Nothing wrong there.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #52,734 of 148,518
There really should be some digital monument on this forum where we remember the fallen headfi-ers.

And ehr.... I do like the Hello Kitty cans very much.
Nothing wrong there.
8926842224670.jpg

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #52,735 of 148,518
I would have to charge enough to cover the stress and mental anguish of dealing with such a guy. In a couple years he might start to ask where his amp is and I will have to buy something like this and a can of black spray paint and pay shipping to get it to him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aerco-Tube-Amp/274069082182?hash=item3fcfca5046:g:2doAAOSwPk1dtIzt

I could slap one of my logos on it, it might keep him busy staring at it so he does not notice the tubes I substituted.

I don’t see any 300B sockets in there, so don’t forget the cost of adding them. I suppose actually wiring them up would be one of those “if you have to ask” propositions, so I won’t (I have some clothes hangers I can cut up and do it myself). :stuck_out_tongue:

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #52,736 of 148,518
I know, only the best for @bcowen, since it has two holes in the front, I figured a quarter inch jack in one opening and a 3.5 mm jack in the other for Bill's primary set of headphones:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ekids-...iqLmndmZUEna0ZsWYa8aAnoyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I keep trying to get him to move up to Beats but this pair seems to fit his anthropomorphic tendency more.

I’m saving up for those. With tax, that’s a lot of money to spend on audio gear. :slight_smile:

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #52,737 of 148,518
I don’t see any 300B sockets in there, so don’t forget the cost of adding them. I suppose actually wiring them up would be one of those “if you have to ask” propositions, so I won’t (I have some clothes hangers I can cut up and do it myself). :stuck_out_tongue:
Are you in love with 300B just because they are big glass tooobs, or because of the way they sound? A good friend of mine who also happens to be a high end dealer just got rid of all the 300B amps in his system and replaced them with Merrill Audio class D stuff, which he says sounds better than his more expensive valves. I never liked 300B amps so I'm no judge...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #52,738 of 148,518
Are you in love with 300B just because they are big glass tooobs, or because of the way they sound?

Yes. :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t listened to a Class D amp in a very long time and I’m sure they have improved dramatically since then, but the early ones were pretty horrid. Perhaps I should listen to a more current offering. I am, however, pretty addicted to SET’s (shortcomings notwithstanding) so it will take a pretty amazing Class Anything amp to win me over. But that’s just me and my personal preferences.

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #52,739 of 148,518
Jason,

In regard to Gungnir having to come back to the mothership for Unison.... Don't get discouraged by this . Some of us are quite agreeable to the process and understand the value in you offering these upgrades. You probably only hear about the painful customer experiences.. If it goes well, people expect that and just go about their business.

Already saving for the upgrade here. I passed on gen 5 to wait for this.. (well I bought an Eitr and use that)

That being said.. how about an Eitr U for people who don't want to send their DAC in?

When Jason says a Gungnir MB has to come back to "the mothership" for the UNISON upgrade, I guess he is talking about the USA and that the distributors in the UK or Netherlands would not be able to undertake the work (correct me if I am wrong). That being the case, it would involve shipping my GMB with all that entails, with freight, customs, duty and VAT ... I'm not not sure what such implications there may be, as I've never done it before. Maybe there is a (legal) way round some of this cost ? Perhaps, someone that has shipped their equipment back to the US could enlighten me ?

TBH, I bought my Schiit from the European distributors in the hope (in part) of avoiding this hurdle.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #52,740 of 148,518
Are you in love with 300B just because they are big glass tooobs, or because of the way they sound? A good friend of mine who also happens to be a high end dealer just got rid of all the 300B amps in his system and replaced them with Merrill Audio class D stuff, which he says sounds better than his more expensive valves. I never liked 300B amps so I'm no judge...
Merrill Audio is really a world on it's own although its very ugly they sound like heaven.
If I where still young, pretty, rich and stupid I might have bought it.
Of course class D will conquer the world and I'm sure we will see a class D Schiit amp sometime.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back