Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 12, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #51,887 of 151,076
Well since we're on a variant of mi casa es su casa,
If ya see ANY western electric tubes, ya know underfoot, in the way, hanging out, stuffed in cubbyholes, ya know just sitting there not do'n nuthin
We'd be MORE than willing to find homes for them and put them to good use.

And trust me when I say this, none of them will get sold, in fact we may just build amps and such just for them, ya know to give them a new lease on life, with purpose and let them do what god and WE intended in keeping with their raison d'être…

We figure it our solemn duty to provide meaning and purpose to antiquity 'cause they are like really old and not getting any younger.
hahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

The number of really nice people you meet in this forum just continues to blow my mind. :smile: So unfortunate I threw away several hundred of those WE's a few weeks ago...I mean they were so old, what good could they have been? I did wonder though why the garbage guys were picking stuff out of my bin rather than just dumping it like usual.... :stuck_out_tongue:

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #51,888 of 151,076
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa er hahahahahah

JJ

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #51,889 of 151,076
Gorgeous, Tom! Really.

Only problem is that from the front we can't see those cool purple cables. Perhaps a small downward-angled mirror mounted at the top? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
There were no cables attached in that photo, they just clutter things up so I decided not to use them. I figured if I turned things up high enough the signal would just pass through the air, like corona discharge. I believe Tesla would have approved.

Seriously though, I am having folks in later today so right now I just grabbed whatever cables I could find and plugged things together. It works but right now the back of the rack looks like @bcowen on a bad hair day, assuming Bill still has hair. :ksc75smile:

The fancy purple cables will all be cut to exact lengths once I decide on the final solution for concealing them. I am going to make a mini rack for a Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 just to see if I can.
I had this setup at work for a bit, this week...you can see if you look hard enough...some very good looking, nay, fantastic looking purple cables connecting the DAC to the amp... :wink: I’m still trying to figure out the best setup for showing them off lol. Also, yes, purple is the best color...if only they made a Donatello turtle mug like this...

PSX_20191010_105018 3.jpg

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #51,892 of 151,076
speaking of Japan, and tubes, there was a shop near Tokyo that had a pair of WE100 triodes for sale. anyone interested? fyi these won't fit on the Lyr adapter for the paired single triodes... spacing is too close.

for the asgard / Bifrost sized rack, how about: drill 1/2" holes thru the middle boards; counterbore the holes on the underside to hide the supporting/ leveling washers & nuts, and using stainless threaded rod for the verticals?

..now back to cats & coffee. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #51,895 of 151,076
Guess we'd have to call that Mi3mby. But that would piss Jason off, so nevermind. :slight_smile:
The nicknames still confuse the hell of out me. I'm assuming Schiit must go to their marketing gurus (in the throne-room?) and bounce different ideas of them. They then measure the cringe factor. Yep, Modi 3 Multibit just sounds odd.
For me? I'm still musing about the Gungnir Multibit and the (redesigned) Bifrost (with the built-in [no-other-option] Multibit?). Headphone listening all the way, baby. The whole contraption will sit right beside my student-built muskoka chunky-chair in the living room (with a Valhalla, Loki, Magni, and Vali perched on top of it).

My EITR-Modi-MB combo's still chugging along. I honestly think the next big purchase will be another set of sound-isolating cans. I want that Princess Leia cinnamon-buns hairstyle look of the Audeze closed-back 'phones. After trying an (overpriced) pair at a bricks-and-mortar stereo shop, it put the zap on me. Christ-on-a-cracker, they sound good! {{{on a Fulla 2 & chromebook no less}}}

Jason... consider selling boutique audio racks? Otherwise, I'll commission a project at my school's woodshop! :ksc75smile:

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #51,896 of 151,076
I had this setup at work for a bit, this week...you can see if you look hard enough...some very good looking, nay, fantastic looking purple cables connecting the DAC to the amp... :wink: I’m still trying to figure out the best setup for showing them off lol. Also, yes, purple is the best color...if only they made a Donatello turtle mug like this...

Yes, the cables are *way* too hidden. That's normally the desired appearance....until you have really cool looking cables. Maybe pin them on the wall or something. :relaxed:

However, I will say that is the cleanest looking work desk I've ever seen. I was thinking about posting it as an example at work, but then everyone would want to know when their headphone setup was going to be delivered. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #51,897 of 151,076
I have a pair of United Electron 2C51's in my Mjolnir2 at the moment so you can skip those....

Then you don't want the Western Electric 396A's? OK...I'll unload those on someone else. :relaxed:

Never even heard of United Electron, honestly. Assume those are some holy grail-ish types?

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #51,898 of 151,076
The nicknames still confuse the hell of out me.

Me too. Took me a year to figure out what a friggin' Mimby was. So I'm totally with @Jason Stoddard on getting rid of the nicknames, but then also blame him for having 72 variations of the same box with names that don't exist in any English language spell checker. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #51,900 of 151,076
The nicknames still confuse the hell of out me. I'm assuming Schiit must go to their marketing gurus (in the throne-room?) and bounce different ideas of them. They then measure the cringe factor. Yep, Modi 3 Multibit just sounds odd.
For me? I'm still musing about the Gungnir Multibit and the (redesigned) Bifrost (with the built-in [no-other-option] Multibit?). Headphone listening all the way, baby. The whole contraption will sit right beside my student-built muskoka chunky-chair in the living room (with a Valhalla, Loki, Magni, and Vali perched on top of it).

My EITR-Modi-MB combo's still chugging along. I honestly think the next big purchase will be another set of sound-isolating cans. I want that Princess Leia cinnamon-buns hairstyle look of the Audeze closed-back 'phones. After trying an (overpriced) pair at a bricks-and-mortar stereo shop, it put the zap on me. Christ-on-a-cracker, they sound good! {{{on a Fulla 2 & chromebook no less}}}

Jason... consider selling boutique audio racks? Otherwise, I'll commission a project at my school's woodshop! :ksc75smile:

I'm confused, did I miss an announcement? There's a Modi 3 Multibit now? I thought it was just Modi 3 and Modi Multibit since it didn't change???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back