Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 12, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #51,872 of 148,655
Where can a guy get those brass feet?
Antique shops

7798933_fullsize.jpg
Hubert-Harmon-Mex7878ican-repousse-brass-feet-full-1A-700%3A10.10-617a3484-f.png

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #51,873 of 148,655
Forgive me if I missed if you already mentioned this, but is that a prototype Lyr 3?
No that is simply using single triode tubes with the proper adapter in place of the 6SN7. Dual triode tubes use shielding to cut down on crosstalk as I recall, this is a way to avoid it a bit more.

@bcowen and @Old Deaf Donkey know of this and have tried it as well with 6J5’s I believe, I am using a variant of that tube.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #51,874 of 148,655
No that is simply using single triode tubes with the proper adapter in place of the 6SN7. Dual triode tubes use shielding to cut down on crosstalk as I recall, this is a way to avoid it a bit more.

@bcowen and @Old Deaf Donkey know of this and have tried it as well with 6J5’s I believe, I am using a variant of that tube.

What caught my attention is the case is devoid of the name of the amp.

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #51,875 of 148,655
E6E4F000-47E7-4B5F-AD1F-4D0C1CC60398.jpeg
What caught my attention is the case is devoid of the name of the amp.

It is washed out a bit by a halogen lamp near by sorry. That is a Lyr 3 and Bifrost 2.

Oh and someone in Sweden I believe asked how they might make a rack for such things, I do not sell them, now if @bcowen wanted to give me the pick of tubes I want from his collection, I might trade one away, but just to him.:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #51,876 of 148,655
Oct 12, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #51,877 of 148,655

It is washed out a bit by a halogen lamp near by sorry. That is a Lyr 3 and Bifrost 2.

Oh and someone in Sweden I believe asked how they might make a rack for such things, I do not sell them, now if @bcowen wanted to give me the pick of tubes I want from his collection, I might trade one away, but just to him.:smile_phones:

You can have whatever tubes you want in my collection except for Frankies, Fotons, Western Electric anythings, GEC anythings, Brimar anythings, and a couple other hundred that I'm hoarding collecting. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #51,878 of 148,655
You can have whatever tubes you want in my collection except for Frankies, Fotons, Western Electric anythings, GEC anythings, Brimar anythings, and a couple other hundred that I'm hoarding collecting. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I am terrible with brand names, you can keep the GE. Please do not thank me, my pleasure. :ksc75smile:

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #51,879 of 148,655
I am terrible with brand names, you can keep the GE. Please do not thank me, my pleasure. :ksc75smile:

I sent my entire stash of GE's to @Ripper2860 . For whatever reason that seems to be his favorite tube. Guess there's just no way to associate logic with personal preference.

Now I just need to unload all the Philips ECG's on him...if he likes the GE's, he'll absolutely love those. :slight_smile:

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #51,880 of 148,655
He didn't exempt Telefunken tubes!! :D

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #51,881 of 148,655
He didn't exempt Telefunken tubes!! :D

Those are included in the "other couple hundred." Couldn't name *all* of them...might have crashed Head-Fi's server. :slight_smile:

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #51,882 of 148,655
Thanks, ask and ye shall receive. Please ignore the cable management disaster.

It's nothing special, the wife asked for rustic/farmhouse, and it was not designed with audio as the primary function. Even so I'm happy with how it turned out. It's the first piece of furniture I've built. I spent over an hour combing through the cedar deck boards at Lowes just to find 10 pieces that were halfway straight. All told I probably have 10-12 hours of labor in it and about 160 bucks in lumber and hardware. Most of the screws and brackets are hidden from sight. I screwed and glued everything from the bottom. I added a couple of brass brackets to each shelf and leg out of an abundance of caution. It holds 300 pounds with ease. Felt and cork footers on the bottom.

It's not as classy as Tom's rack, but the wife was pleased. I was happy that it's square & level, and doesn't wobble.

It's unfinished, just sanded a couple of times, cleaned, and wiped really well with a tack cloth.

Tools used for those interested, are table saw, miter saw, oscillating and mouse sanders, hand files, cordless drill, jack plane, bar clamps, hand clamps.

I am interested in obtaining a good set of Japanese woodworking tools, so if anyone knows of a good place to acquire those in the US please let me know.
For Japanese tools in general the “Japan Woodworker” has a good selection. For saws that are quite good but don’t look as fancy, Lee Valley. They also have some Japanese style planes that are ok. I have two saws and one plane from Lee Valley.

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #51,884 of 148,655
Feel free to send me the best sounding 5670 / 2C51 / 396A / 6N3P eq. you have.

That's extremely nice of you to allow me to do that. I'll get a box packed up tonight. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #51,885 of 148,655
Well since we're on a variant of mi casa es su casa,
If ya see ANY western electric tubes, ya know underfoot, in the way, hanging out, stuffed in cubbyholes, ya know just sitting there not do'n nuthin
We'd be MORE than willing to find homes for them and put them to good use.

And trust me when I say this, none of them will get sold, in fact we may just build amps and such just for them, ya know to give them a new lease on life, with purpose and let them do what god and WE intended in keeping with their raison d'être…

We figure it our solemn duty to provide meaning and purpose to antiquity 'cause they are like really old and not getting any younger.
hahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back