Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 11, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #51,811 of 149,248
anybody matching a Freya+ with a solid state amp, Single ended? Balanced?

Have it matched with a PS Audio Stellar S300 (Class D, gasp!) using balanced input (and also feeding a REL subwoofer using one of the single-ended outputs as well.) The S300 is the stereo version of the M700 monoblock (Stereophile gave that an A recommendation if that matters).

I really like the combination - nice presence given by the Freya+ with good punch and linearity from the PS Audio.

[edit] I'm using a quad of gold-pin ElectroHarmonix 6SN7 in mine.

ed

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #51,812 of 149,248
anybody matching a Freya+ with a solid state amp, Single ended? Balanced?

Yep! Yggdrasil (A2, gen5) to Freya+ to Mjolnir 1 to LCD-3 (all balanced).

I have the stock Tung-Sols currently, but will be trying out some '63 Melz 1578's soon.

Personally I enjoy the tube flavor added by Freya, and it's quite fun to switch between the three output stages effortlessly.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #51,813 of 149,248
Now it is just a matter of making sure the rack is perfectly level and then hooking up the gear but most of the work is finished. IMG_1341.jpg

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #51,815 of 149,248
Amazing job.
When will you start making miniature versions of them so we can manage our desktop stacks? :ksc75smile:

Hmmm now if a person used quarter inch thick wood and quarter inch rigid copper pipe I bet it could be done. My first thought was, "when hell freezes over" but then I realized it may be doable. :ksc75smile:

it would give me a chance to use more Sorbothane and annoy @bcowen so I may ponder it.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #51,817 of 149,248
Hmmm now if a person used quarter inch thick wood and quarter inch rigid copper pipe I bet it could be done. My first thought was, "when hell freezes over" but then I realized it may be doable. :ksc75smile:

it would give me a chance to use more Sorbothane and annoy @bcowen so I may ponder it.
You could do something like this, but with a more beautiful wood. I'd love one with Jacaranda da Bahia wood.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...ws-and-comments.728236/page-177#post-11289112

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #51,818 of 149,248
That looks amazing!! Great job, really liking the treated copper look! It adds a nice flair to the whole thing!

Thanks each corner adjusts up and down and I can change shelf heights by inserting different lengths of copper pipe. I used some round sliders under the bottom feet so I can move it around easily to get to the back of it. I can also change to shiny copper if the mood ever strikes me to do so. It is very sturdy and stable.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #51,819 of 149,248
You could do something like this, but with a more beautiful wood. I'd love one with Jacaranda da Bahia wood.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...ws-and-comments.728236/page-177#post-11289112

I would need a few more woodworking tools to do something like that lol. Everything you see here was done with a wood router and some basic hand tools for working with copper pipe. Cost of the solid cherry about $150 with shipping. Total cost maybe $250 and about four days of labor. The top shelf is larger to accommodate a turntable.

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #51,820 of 149,248
I would need a few more woodworking tools to do something like that lol. Everything you see here was done with a wood router and some basic hand tools for working with copper pipe. Cost of the solid cherry about $150 with shipping. Total cost maybe $250 and about four days of labor. The top shelf is larger to accommodate a turntable.
If you are patient and persistent enough, all woodwork can be done with a chisel and some other simple tools, but I get what you are saying.
I'd love to have a CNC wood router and the ability to use it so I could make amazing things.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #51,821 of 149,248
Turn-out was actually pretty good, considering the winds (and, later, fire--the Schiitr is closed today due to a huge fire that closed both northbound freeways).

We'll probably have to re-do the test, though, because it seems we had a level matching problem. Next time I will actually bring an Avermetrics, and we will have the new multi-headed streaming solution online, so it will be easier to switch between different products.

We did hear some differences that I don't believe were part of the level matching issue (we worked it out near the end), and I believe the Modi Multibit was easily discernible from Modi 3, mainly due to soundstage. In actual SQ preference, I liked the Multibit, but opinions were mixed overall. Neither product is a bad listen, which is probably the key takeaway from these compromised results.

... Jason, that matches my personal experience when I did A/B testing between the Magni 3/Modi 3 and Vali 2/Modi 3 Multibit. I also tested an intermediate setup where the only difference was the regular Modi 3 and the Modi 3 Multibit. There is a small difference between the two versions of the Modi 3, but there is a larger difference between the Magni 3 and Vali 2. I love the combination of the Vali 2 with the Magni 3 Multibit. I agree that the difference is in the sound stage. Depending on the source, it will matter a lot. For example, live Jazz recordings sound waaaaay different, but most modern just sounds very nice.

marc

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #51,822 of 149,248
... Jason, that matches my personal experience when I did A/B testing between the Magni 3/Modi 3 and Vali 2/Modi 3 Multibit. I also tested an intermediate setup where the only difference was the regular Modi 3 and the Modi 3 Multibit. There is a small difference between the two versions of the Modi 3, but there is a larger difference between the Magni 3 and Vali 2. I love the combination of the Vali 2 with the Magni 3 Multibit. I agree that the difference is in the sound stage. Depending on the source, it will matter a lot. For example, live Jazz recordings sound waaaaay different, but most modern just sounds very nice.

marc
There is a Modi 3 and there is a Modi Multibit; there is no Modi 3 Multibit
Sorry to be pedantic but reading "Modi 3 Multibit" makes my brain hurt :head_bandage:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #51,823 of 149,248
Now it is just a matter of making sure the rack is perfectly level and then hooking up the gear but most of the work is finished.

Wow. I would just love a mini version of this for my Bifrost2+Lyr3 stack!

Oct 11, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #51,824 of 149,248
Wow. I would just love a mini version of this for my Bifrost2+Lyr3 stack!
This is pretty straight forward, maybe I can direct you to the parts.

Oct 11, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #51,825 of 149,248
There is a Modi 3 and there is a Modi Multibit; there is no Modi 3 Multibit
Sorry to be pedantic but reading "Modi 3 Multibit" makes my brain hurt :head_bandage:

Or...as Jason likes to call it -- the Mimby 3! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back