Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 10, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #51,796 of 149,083
Actually I planted those knowing full well it would drive you crazy and you would send me proper tubes. Some were even marked Prima Luna, the seller may be wondering what happened to those when he goes to sell that amp.

Planted, huh? Too bad you didn't say they were GE's -- I would have sent you two sets. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #51,797 of 149,083
Planted, huh? Too bad you didn't say they were GE's -- I would have sent you two sets. :stuck_out_tongue:

As I recall you sent me some GE's for that amp lol.

Ok I am listening to the Bifrost 2 with Lyr 3 and an exceptional Foton tube, Rock On by David Essex... check out that track if you can locate it. Bass is quite nice, as is spacing.

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #51,798 of 149,083

ROFL! I forgot about those. I sent them as a half joke, but truth be told, NOS US-made rectifiers (even GE's) are way better than any current Chinese offering. Not sure how the GE's would compare to the Russkies...never actually listened to them. I wouldn't worry about a NOS US/European or even a current manufacture Russian tube red plating. I'd never leave an amp unattended with a Chinese rectifier in it though as I'm allergic to burned down houses. :relaxed:

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #51,799 of 149,083
I'm running a 5AR4/GZ34 sovtek and it seems quite nice, but I have yet to play with 'tweako' US versions (Mullard, Amperex GE RCA etc). I do have a Tube Amp Doctor version but despite the fact that they claim "A faithfull reproduction of the Mullard/VALVO GZ34" they list no country of manufacturer, which seems a bit dubious to me…

JJ

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #51,800 of 149,083
So I finally got a rack built that is large enough to hold all my schiit in one spot. My wife asked for a solid cedar tv stand over a year ago, and I just got it sanded and installed last week. This means I can finally hook all my schiit up together, and check some stuff out..

I'm running Amazon HD into a Google home group that is feeding three Chromecast audios at the same time with the same signal. Those are going into Modi 3, Modi Multibit (mimby), and Bifrost 1, gen 1 with an AK 4396. Those are all feeding into a original Saga -> Vidar -> Zu Omen Dirty Weekends....
Tonights scotch mod is Woodford Reserve (yes it's a bourbon) with ice and a splash of ginger ale.

To me, It's very interesting learning to hear all the nuances of the different dacs. You don't really realize the differences they have until you jump around and each Input is playing the same stream on a different DAC.

I think I prefer Bifrost, Mimby, modi 3. But it's close and they all sound great to me. If I were to add the KLHs in I might feel different about my order. In my office system, I couldn't tell a difference between modi 3 and Bifrost, while here I can. I highly doubt I could pick the three apart from each other, unless you let me listen to the opening 30 seconds of Reelin in the Years about 4 times on each DAC, or maybe loop a 30 second spot halfway through come sail away.

It is very interesting how soundstage, instrument spacing/layering/body/placement can vary from DAC to DAC.

On come sail away by styx it was interesting how different the presentation was at certain points of the song, and how similar it was at others. Referring to the image you see (hear) when at the listening position.

Basically the original Bifrost has a good combination of richness/fullness and detail. Mimby has a richer/darker/fuller sound and might be more accurate
on some stuff (the attack of a cymbal crash), but it also seems to lack revelation of detail on other songs (Bifrost carries decay longer). Light/soft sounds can get washed out on mimby, if there are other louder, deeper, fuller sounds going on at the same time. Modi 3 seems to have the most detail, and might be the most evenly balanced but it doesn't have the fullness/richness that mimby and Bifrost have. It also seems to be the least accurate sounding (of the three) on things like cymbals. I have never thought it sounded less then fully accurate without doing an A/B/C. In this setup modi 3 is the DAC I listen to the least, but it's my most versatile DAC, and is so easy to move around the house, bring to work, etc.

I'm quite happy with the music I hear from all three. I feel like maybe my ears are just now learning enough to really appreciate and order a finer DAC like Bifrost 2. From what I have read and heard, it sounds like a revolutionary product for 699. Hopefully stereophile will review it too.

Thanks to @Baldr and Jason for all these neato products... My wallet will never be the same.

I also appreciate everyone on this thread, I know I have learned much and enjoyed myself immensely while here. The story was worth a read, but the community keeps a guy coming back.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #51,801 of 149,083
So I finally got a rack built that is large enough to hold all my schiit in one spot. My wife asked for a solid cedar tv stand over a year ago, and I just got it sanded and installed last week. This means I can finally hook all my schiit up together, and check some stuff out..

I'm running Amazon HD into a Google home group that is feeding three Chromecast audios at the same time with the same signal. Those are going into Modi 3, Modi Multibit (mimby), and Bifrost 1, gen 1 with an AK 4396. Those are all feeding into a original Saga -> Vidar -> Zu Omen Dirty Weekends....
Tonights scotch mod is Woodford Reserve (yes it's a bourbon) with ice and a splash of ginger ale.

To me, It's very interesting learning to hear all the nuances of the different dacs. You don't really realize the differences they have until you jump around and each Input is playing the same stream on a different DAC.

I think I prefer Bifrost, Mimby, modi 3. But it's close and they all sound great to me. If I were to add the KLHs in I might feel different about my order. In my office system, I couldn't tell a difference between modi 3 and Bifrost, while here I can. I highly doubt I could pick the three apart from each other, unless you let me listen to the opening 30 seconds of Reelin in the Years about 4 times on each DAC, or maybe loop a 30 second spot halfway through come sail away.

It is very interesting how soundstage, instrument spacing/layering/body/placement can vary from DAC to DAC.

On come sail away by styx it was interesting how different the presentation was at certain points of the song, and how similar it was at others. Referring to the image you see (hear) when at the listening position.

Basically the original Bifrost has a good combination of richness/fullness and detail. Mimby has a richer/darker/fuller sound and might be more accurate
on some stuff (the attack of a cymbal crash), but it also seems to lack revelation of detail on other songs (Bifrost carries decay longer). Light/soft sounds can get washed out on mimby, if there are other louder, deeper, fuller sounds going on at the same time. Modi 3 seems to have the most detail, and might be the most evenly balanced but it doesn't have the fullness/richness that mimby and Bifrost have. It also seems to be the least accurate sounding (of the three) on things like cymbals. I have never thought it sounded less then fully accurate without doing an A/B/C. In this setup modi 3 is the DAC I listen to the least, but it's my most versatile DAC, and is so easy to move around the house, bring to work, etc.

I'm quite happy with the music I hear from all three. I feel like maybe my ears are just now learning enough to really appreciate and order a finer DAC like Bifrost 2. From what I have read and heard, it sounds like a revolutionary product for 699. Hopefully stereophile will review it too.

Thanks to @Baldr and Jason for all these neato products... My wallet will never be the same.

I also appreciate everyone on this thread, I know I have learned much and enjoyed myself immensely while here. The story was worth a read, but the community keeps a guy coming back.

That sounds cool, important question though... Where are the pics! :p

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #51,802 of 149,083

Nice post, and really great info. Thanks for sharing!
But I have to agree with @Rowethren ....where's the pics? Voyeurism is rampant around here. :grimacing:

Oct 11, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #51,803 of 149,083

Ok I am listening to the Bifrost 2 with Lyr 3 and an exceptional Foton tube, Rock On by David Essex... check out that track if you can locate it. Bass is quite nice, as is spacing.

That is a nice recording. Sounds spacious and the bass is deep and tight, on my (your?) aune T1 MK3 with RCA grey glass 6SN7 and Vali 2 with twin Sylvanias VT-192. :L3000:

Oct 11, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #51,804 of 149,083
@Rensek -- I think you should introduce 'rum and coke' as well as an 'old fashion' into the mix and compare / contrast the effects on each DAC's sound. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #51,805 of 149,083
That is a nice recording. Sounds spacious and the bass is deep and tight, on my (your?) aune T1 MK3 with RCA grey glass 6SN7 and Vali 2 with twin Sylvanias VT-192. :L3000:

My audio setup is in complete disarray but later maybe I can check the VT-192's in the Lyr 3, I have been busy listening to a Bifrost 2 and before the weekend is out maybe I can A/B it with a Gungnir. That is an excellent combination of tubes you have there and one I know pretty well. :smile_phones:

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #51,807 of 149,083
A quick reminder: it's a delta-sigma vs True Multibit thunderdome tonight at the Schiitr. If you're in the area, meet me there from 6-10PM!
How's it go? Did you have a decent turn-out?

I wish I could have attended.

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #51,808 of 149,083
Turn-out was actually pretty good, considering the winds (and, later, fire--the Schiitr is closed today due to a huge fire that closed both northbound freeways).

We'll probably have to re-do the test, though, because it seems we had a level matching problem. Next time I will actually bring an Avermetrics, and we will have the new multi-headed streaming solution online, so it will be easier to switch between different products.

We did hear some differences that I don't believe were part of the level matching issue (we worked it out near the end), and I believe the Modi Multibit was easily discernible from Modi 3, mainly due to soundstage. In actual SQ preference, I liked the Multibit, but opinions were mixed overall. Neither product is a bad listen, which is probably the key takeaway from these compromised results.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back