Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 12, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #51,841 of 150,793
Now it is just a matter of making sure the rack is perfectly level and then hooking up the gear but most of the work is finished.

Gorgeous, Tom! Really.

Only problem is that from the front we can't see those cool purple cables. Perhaps a small downward-angled mirror mounted at the top? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #51,842 of 150,793
it would give me a chance to use more Sorbothane and annoy @bcowen so I may ponder it.

Just putting that word in a sentence annoys me, so you've already succeeded. :slight_smile:

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #51,843 of 150,793
There is a Modi 3 and there is a Modi Multibit; there is no Modi 3 Multibit
Sorry to be pedantic but reading "Modi 3 Multibit" makes my brain hurt :head_bandage:

Guess we'd have to call that Mi3mby. But that would piss Jason off, so nevermind. :slight_smile:

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #51,844 of 150,793
Wow. I would just love a mini version of this for my Bifrost2+Lyr3 stack!

+1 on that. That would force me to proceed with the Bifrost 2 purchase though, so financially that would be more like "+0, but I agree." :slight_smile:

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #51,845 of 150,793
Thanks, ask and ye shall receive. Please ignore the cable management disaster.

It's nothing special, the wife asked for rustic/farmhouse, and it was not designed with audio as the primary function. Even so I'm happy with how it turned out. It's the first piece of furniture I've built. I spent over an hour combing through the cedar deck boards at Lowes just to find 10 pieces that were halfway straight. All told I probably have 10-12 hours of labor in it and about 160 bucks in lumber and hardware. Most of the screws and brackets are hidden from sight. I screwed and glued everything from the bottom. I added a couple of brass brackets to each shelf and leg out of an abundance of caution. It holds 300 pounds with ease. Felt and cork footers on the bottom.

It's not as classy as Tom's rack, but the wife was pleased. I was happy that it's square & level, and doesn't wobble.

It's unfinished, just sanded a couple of times, cleaned, and wiped really well with a tack cloth.

Tools used for those interested, are table saw, miter saw, oscillating and mouse sanders, hand files, cordless drill, jack plane, bar clamps, hand clamps.

I am interested in obtaining a good set of Japanese woodworking tools, so if anyone knows of a good place to acquire those in the US please let me know.

Very nice! Especially for your first attempt, and even more especially with just the basic woodworking tools you had available. My father-in-law passed away a number of years ago but he had a full woodworking shop with practically every tool ever made for woodworking. I miss him 'cause he was a really neat guy but I really miss the Saturday afternoons spending time with him working on something. He made some beautiful furniture...I limited myself to easier things, like building amp stands and tube tester cases. :slight_smile:

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #51,846 of 150,793
Ok this just got easier, hang in there and I may have a working model in a week or less.

I can beta test for you. No charge. Just always happy to help. :smile:

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #51,847 of 150,793
Just putting that word in a sentence annoys me, so you've already succeeded. :slight_smile:

Oh good, now I can cross "annoy @bcowen" off my list and move on to other things today. There was actually no Sorbothane harmed in the making of my stereo rack, not for want of trying though.:smile_phones:

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #51,848 of 150,793
Thanks, ask and ye shall receive. Please ignore the cable management disaster.

Very nice work, and a cold Hamm's beer to celebrate! "From the land of sky-blue waters. Hamm's, the beer refreshing!"
My grandfather lived in Manitowish Waters, WI, on Little Star Lake ... a few doors down the shoreline from Little Bohemia Lodge.
He had a Hamm's beer lamp with a rotating shade :)

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #51,849 of 150,793
Now it is just a matter of making sure the rack is perfectly level and then hooking up the gear but most of the work is finished.

If you become suddenly afflicted with a (hopefully temporary) case of OCD and need to borrow a digital level, let me know. :stuck_out_tongue:

I see now that my tube tester is 0.1 degrees out of level in the east-west plane, so there goes *my* afternoon. LOL!

Level.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #51,850 of 150,793
There was actually no Sorbothane harmed in the making of my stereo rack...

Hate to be nitpicky or anything, but you have that backwards. "There was no harm caused in the making of the rack by the use of Sorbothane." That's mo' better. :smiley:

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #51,851 of 150,793
If you become suddenly afflicted with a (hopefully temporary) case of OCD and need to borrow a digital level, let me know. :stuck_out_tongue:

I see now that my tube tester is 0.1 degrees out of level in the east-west plane, so there goes *my* afternoon. LOL!

Oh geez you would have one of those. I am relying on four bubble levels, they work fine till my kitten knocks them on the floor and I never see them again. Luckily you can buy them by the dozen pretty cheaply.

In the meantime I am dialing in some VU meters, first on a Gungnir, then a Bifrost 2.IMG_1344.jpg They are not mounted yet, I am just experimenting.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #51,852 of 150,793
Gorgeous, Tom! Really.

Only problem is that from the front we can't see those cool purple cables. Perhaps a small downward-angled mirror mounted at the top? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

There were no cables attached in that photo, they just clutter things up so I decided not to use them. I figured if I turned things up high enough the signal would just pass through the air, like corona discharge. I believe Tesla would have approved.

Seriously though, I am having folks in later today so right now I just grabbed whatever cables I could find and plugged things together. It works but right now the back of the rack looks like @bcowen on a bad hair day, assuming Bill still has hair. :ksc75smile:

The fancy purple cables will all be cut to exact lengths once I decide on the final solution for concealing them. I am going to make a mini rack for a Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 just to see if I can.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #51,853 of 150,793
There were no cables attached in that photo, they just clutter things up so I decided not to use them. I figured if I turned things up high enough the signal would just pass through the air, like corona discharge. I believe Tesla would have approved.

Seriously though, I am having folks in later today so right now I just grabbed whatever cables I could find and plugged things together. It works but right now the back of the rack looks like @bcowen on a bad hair day, assuming Bill still has hair. :ksc75smile:

The fancy purple cables will all be cut to exact lengths once I decide on the final solution for concealing them. I am going to make a mini rack for a Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3 just to see if I can.

I still have hair. All of it. Except it used to be brown, and has seemed to change color over the years. Weird, huh? :smile:

I assume the top shelf will be for the SOL at some point?

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #51,854 of 150,793
Oh geez you would have one of those. I am relying on four bubble levels, they work fine till my kitten knocks them on the floor and I never see them again. Luckily you can buy them by the dozen pretty cheaply.

I only use that on my turntable. For anything else it's extreme overkill and quite honestly a PITA to use even for an extreme OCD'er. Not that I am one of course, but I know some people that are. :relaxed:

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #51,855 of 150,793
I still have hair. All of it. Except it used to be brown, and has seemed to change color over the years. Weird, huh? :smile:

I assume the top shelf will be for the SOL at some point?

Yep, the shelves all line up in the front but I had the top shelf cut larger to hold a Sol, or whatever other turntable I might use there. The rack is a bit over three feet tall at this point and sits on a tiled floor, so there should be little vibration from walking across the floor and with a proper dust cover it should be cat proof. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back