Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 30, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #51,496 of 149,297
Yeah, I had a similar reaction, then I looked at the price and went and bought this instead...

Good ol Poang lol

That looks comfy. Cool is cool, but comfort trumps all. :relaxed:

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #51,497 of 149,297
You bet! There's not many pickers can keep up with Tommy Emmanuel (CGP, look it up) but Billy Strings can!
This one's for you @Baldr ... hope you are well, mate :)

Oh yeah! Tommy Emmanuel is a force of nature. I've been a fan for many years. Youtoob has several of his videos worth watching. I hadn't thought to search for Tommy + Billy so thanks for the link.

+1 for wishing good thoughts to @Baldr

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #51,499 of 149,297
This one is made for HI-FI listening... The Gamut Hi-Fi lobster chair :wink:

A little on the over priced side though lol

GamuT says:
"The Gamut Hi-Fi Lobster Chair is the world’s first music listening chair. Its ingeniously-crafted headrest incorporates a special material designed to better reflect sound around your ears."

Alternatively ...
:thumbsup:

upload_2019-10-1_11-52-1.png

Sep 30, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #51,500 of 149,297
That's a Tekton Lore on the left side of the pic. Rather unobtrusive (to me anyway), and probably even less so without big a$$ brass feet. It's one of very few speakers that has taken residence without whining and grumbling from the spousal unit.

Begs the question as to what the spousal unit says about all that, um, stuff racked up on the right...

Sep 30, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #51,502 of 149,297
The Jotunheim is all-balanced, same size as the Bifrost (at least same width), and can be used as a pre-amp as well as a headphone-amp.

If only it had a remote...

what about Dynaudio?

I'm a bit of a Dynaholic (I've got a few pair and a couple centers) you can find some great deals on them pro-owned and they hold up quite well, they can be a bit hard to drive however I still highly recommend them, yes I'm biased though. I've been hooked on them since I first heard them 30 years ago...

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #51,508 of 149,297
That's a Tekton Lore on the left side of the pic. Rather unobtrusive (to me anyway), and probably even less so without big a$$ brass feet. It's one of very few speakers that has taken residence without whining and grumbling from the spousal unit.

what rack are those?

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #51,510 of 149,297

"Oh, sorry honey, I can't hear you over the sound of these awesome speakers!"

The WAF thing was mostly tongue in cheek. Think massive orange Ulfberhts or smth. Most Tektons look fine.

what about Amphion, ATC, KEF, ADAM, HEDD, Genelec etc ??

Jamo, Harbeth, Focal...

Oh, haha. You're hilarious.

Btw, finding places where I could actually listen to half of those mentioned might drive me nuts. KEF and Focal are fairly easy to find, at least. My former speakers back in the late '90s early '00s were Jamo. Can't remember much about them. Think they had some bass. Quite a bit of bass, even. Yeah.
I think I unloaded them at a thrift store.

These are definitely worth checking out: https://davonespeakers.com/

Had a short listen at a showroom myself and they weren’t bad at all... The best thing about them is that they are truly a piece of art to look at. The looks are even better in real life.

For the prices quoted they need to pretty damn good, certainly better than not bad at all. Of course, it begs the question of what we are comparing to. I'd say my current speakers qualifies as absolutely not bad at all, if I only listened to jazz trios, I could stick with 'em for a fair while yet. And they were nowhere near those prices.

what about Dynaudio?

I'm racking my brains here, when I auditioned my current speakers they were put up against some similar priced (~1100€/pair) *audios. One pair was Dynaudio, maybe, IIRC, the other... Monitor Audio? System Audio? Can't remember, other than one pair was better than the other. They were both very hifi-ish, for lack of better terms, think analytical and in one case way too trebley (it's a word) for my taste. The DLS were more musical, and well, pleasing to my ears. Although, the Dynaudios (? I think) was close. Back then I also listened to B&W and Dali in the same pricerange; the B&Ws was way to heavy on the treble, bordering on nasty, IMHO, the Dalis were boring me senseless (that surprised me, I used to like the sound of those). Accidentally I listened to both B&W and Dali in the 3500++ € pricerange at the time, and that was much, much better. Also out of reach financially at that point, and in some ways, still is.

Anyway, what I'm looking at primarily right now are speakers, that are available for audition in-country, and for human prices. If I could find something that excites me, it'd be even cooler. After reading a lot I've come to the point where I need to actually go have a listen. There's a trade show coming up in Copenhagen, I hope to go and check out some speakers (maybe there will be a few options that don't require a second mortgage, anyway it is also to get a feel for manufacturer sound), and then hit up some dealers here and there to check out some more. New speakers wil be late for my b-day, but maybe New year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back