Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 1, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #51,511 of 150,774
"Oh, sorry honey, I can't hear you over the sound of these awesome speakers!"

The WAF thing was mostly tongue in cheek. Think massive orange Ulfberhts or smth. Most Tektons look fine.

Oh, haha. You're hilarious.

Btw, finding places where I could actually listen to half of those mentioned might drive me nuts. KEF and Focal are fairly easy to find, at least. My former speakers back in the late '90s early '00s were Jamo. Can't remember much about them. Think they had some bass. Quite a bit of bass, even. Yeah.
I think I unloaded them at a thrift store.

For the prices quoted they need to pretty damn good, certainly better than not bad at all. Of course, it begs the question of what we are comparing to. I'd say my current speakers qualifies as absolutely not bad at all, if I only listened to jazz trios, I could stick with 'em for a fair while yet. And they were nowhere near those prices.

I'm racking my brains here, when I auditioned my current speakers they were put up against some similar priced (~1100€/pair) *audios. One pair was Dynaudio, maybe, IIRC, the other... Monitor Audio? System Audio? Can't remember, other than one pair was better than the other. They were both very hifi-ish, for lack of better terms, think analytical and in one case way too trebley (it's a word) for my taste. The DLS were more musical, and well, pleasing to my ears. Although, the Dynaudios (? I think) was close. Back then I also listened to B&W and Dali in the same pricerange; the B&Ws was way to heavy on the treble, bordering on nasty, IMHO, the Dalis were boring me senseless (that surprised me, I used to like the sound of those). Accidentally I listened to both B&W and Dali in the 3500++ € pricerange at the time, and that was much, much better. Also out of reach financially at that point, and in some ways, still is.

Anyway, what I'm looking at primarily right now are speakers, that are available for audition in-country, and for human prices. If I could find something that excites me, it'd be even cooler. After reading a lot I've come to the point where I need to actually go have a listen. There's a trade show coming up in Copenhagen, I hope to go and check out some speakers (maybe there will be a few options that don't require a second mortgage, anyway it is also to get a feel for manufacturer sound), and then hit up some dealers here and there to check out some more. New speakers wil be late for my b-day, but maybe New year.

Let us know which speakers you end up with. As a fellow Nord with poor selection of hifi-equipment available to try, I am more than interested.

Within a year or two I should be able to afford my own house, and I’ll want a pair of nice floorstanders there. Girlfriend has already shot down my wish for Focal Kanta N2s.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #51,512 of 150,774
I'm racking my brains here, when I auditioned my current speakers they were put up against some similar priced (~1100€/pair) *audios. One pair was Dynaudio, maybe, IIRC, the other... Monitor Audio? System Audio? Can't remember, other than one pair was better than the other. They were both very hifi-ish, for lack of better terms, think analytical and in one case way too trebley (it's a word) for my taste. The DLS were more musical, and well, pleasing to my ears. Although, the Dynaudios (? I think) was close. Back then I also listened to B&W and Dali in the same pricerange; the B&Ws was way to heavy on the treble, bordering on nasty, IMHO, the Dalis were boring me senseless (that surprised me, I used to like the sound of those). Accidentally I listened to both B&W and Dali in the 3500++ € pricerange at the time, and that was much, much better. Also out of reach financially at that point, and in some ways, still is.

Anyway, what I'm looking at primarily right now are speakers, that are available for audition in-country, and for human prices. If I could find something that excites me, it'd be even cooler. After reading a lot I've come to the point where I need to actually go have a listen. There's a trade show coming up in Copenhagen, I hope to go and check out some speakers (maybe there will be a few options that don't require a second mortgage, anyway it is also to get a feel for manufacturer sound), and then hit up some dealers here and there to check out some more. New speakers wil be late for my b-day, but maybe New year.

If you are looking for something in a similar size to your R55's I highly recommend listening to a set of Dynaudio Focus 260's, they aren't in production anymore, however they are occasionally available pre-owned. If you are wanting something still in production, the Contour C30's are the same form factor in a higher line (Esotar2 tweeter, premium finish, newer design etc...).

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #51,516 of 150,774
The coming 10 November Schiitmeet in my house seems to get some traction.
We already know of 8 participants. A huge thing if you factor in the geographics of this manufacturer.
@Jason Stoddard: Can we get T-shirts?
Design idea: "I'm a Schiit-Head", graphic with headphones; a lyr3 (tube being more interesting than just a box)

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #51,517 of 150,774
Perhaps you can get a 2nd hand Bifrost 1 with a D/S DAC? :)

Hey, i picked up one of those. After I took it apart and cleaned the chassis and case it looks like new. A few tiny dings here and there, but they don't affect the sound. This one is so old, it's an original v1 Bifrost with the AK 4396 DAC chip, and no USB. It sounds great, (tad bit better then modi 3 IMO). Looking forward to the release of Unison cards for Bifrost.

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #51,518 of 150,774
We already know of 8 participants. A huge thing if you factor in the geographics of this manufacturer.
Did you create a dedicated thread for your meet, Pietro?
We'll want to read meet impressions and see pictures, too :)

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #51,519 of 150,774
Did you create a dedicated thread for your meet, Pietro?
We'll want to read meet impressions and see pictures, too :)
Uh.. no not yet but someone will put up pictures here I guess.
It's still more than a month away.
It will also be the first ever Schiit-meet in The Netherlands ever.
Since I have only 7 seats I hope it'll be a cosy one.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #51,521 of 150,774
Not the ........... Comfy Chair........
I didn’t expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition

Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!
30ADFC2A00000578-3421938-image-m-14_1454025406104.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #51,523 of 150,774
if i was still living in NL i would be happy to join especially with t-shirts involved :))

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #51,525 of 150,774
Uh.. no not yet but someone will put up pictures here I guess.
It's still more than a month away.
It will also be the first ever Schiit-meet in The Netherlands ever.
Since I have only 7 seats I hope it'll be a cosy one.
Will all attendees go through a Costanza pre-screening procedure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back