Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 17, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #50,956 of 155,069
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I am eyeing some of the 1578's (noting all the specific details to watch for).

Would having just a single matched pair in the gain side of Freya+ make much difference (with the stock Tung-Sol in the other), or do all four need to be the 1578s to really make it worthwhile?
You will notice the most effect in the gain side IMHO so were I to just change two tubes, those would be the ones. It is also a good way to find out if you like those tubes before investing $400 plus, or whatever you are able to find them for. I try a lot of single tubes in a Vali 2, Bottlehead Crack, and similar amps before I start buying pairs. Folks either really like, or really dislike the Melz 1578. They tend to disappear pretty quickly when they become available. If you ever have doubts about any you see for sale, PM me a link and I will try to help with advice so you do not get burned.

I have run into a lot of issues with pin solder on the Russian tubes, if you get a pair and they start giving you problems, send them to me and I will replace the solder at no cost or walk you through the process.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #50,958 of 155,069
I will report back once the new family member has settled in.
might want to give the amp several days burn-in before critical listening. manufacturers of electrolytic capacitors (e.g. power supply caps) specify data sheet parameters after 100 hours of applied voltage.

happy listening!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #50,962 of 155,069
Ironic, considering Paradigm is a Canadian company...
Also every version of the studio reference line got more expensive. He had v2 which had a real wood veneer option whiach also added to the cost again. I got the super bargain version 1. I think version 5 of the studio 20 was like $1200.

I had that v1 paired with a NAD amp and Van Halen never sounded so good.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #50,964 of 155,069
Conrad Hoffman said
A Sol just arrived in the secret underground lair. I'll be sorting some of the issues over the next few days, but my first reaction is, "Wow, they sure did a fantastic job with so much of it; how did these few details get so messed up?" Fear not, fixes to follow in the very near future.

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #50,965 of 155,069
Ironic, considering Paradigm is a Canadian company...

Canadian $ vs US $. Typically takes more CAD $ to get the same value.

BUT even with Canadian goods we pay a higher total value. Economists say it is because of the smaller market and that supply and demand thing. They can control the supply so the demand (and price) stays high. The reason cross border shopping is mostly one way.

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #50,966 of 155,069
Also every version of the studio reference line got more expensive. He had v2 which had a real wood veneer option whiach also added to the cost again. I got the super bargain version 1. I think version 5 of the studio 20 was like $1200.

I had that v1 paired with a NAD amp and Van Halen never sounded so good.

The prices kept going up fast particularly when they introduced the replacement line. A lot more money and I did not find they sounded nearly as good. Unless something changes they will not be on my list to check out when the 20’s need replacement.

I had a mid line NAD AV receiver that sounded just awesome. I do not remember the number. It failed totally shortly after the warranty expired. Got it repaired. It failed again shortly after the repair warranty ended. Replaced it with a Yamaha. Very reliable but a bit sterile sounding.

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #50,967 of 155,069
Correct, which is why I said that if you have platter wobble, we'll swap the parts in advance of the beta. Bottom line, if you have QC problems, contact amy@schiit.com and we'll get you replacement parts in advance of any beta parts.

For the record..... I received my SOL last week and I finally set it up! It was better than I expected! I have followed your SOL journey for a couple of years now. So I expected it to be a bit rough.... IT WASN't. There was a lot of set up involved, I knew that coming in! All in all I thought it was a great first launch! maybe I got a good one! I couldn't be happier. I will look forward to the updated tone arm so my cartridge(MP 110) isn't as shoehorned in but other than that..... Hats off to you, Mike and the entire Schiit staff for pulling this off! Well done.

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #50,968 of 155,069
might want to give the amp several days burn-in before critical listening. manufacturers of electrolytic capacitors (e.g. power supply caps) specify data sheet parameters after 100 hours of applied voltage.

Interesting. I haven't experienced burn-in of electronics before - except for tubes, of course. I will keep an eye (or rather, an ear) out for any changes. Most electronic components have a change in sound as they reach their operating temperature - Schiit's own multibit DACs being exhibit A here, so I'm looking forward to hearing any burn-in changes on the Aegir.

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #50,969 of 155,069
For the record..... I received my SOL last week and I finally set it up! It was better than I expected! I have followed your SOL journey for a couple of years now. So I expected it to be a bit rough.... IT WASN't. There was a lot of set up involved, I knew that coming in! All in all I thought it was a great first launch! maybe I got a good one! I couldn't be happier. I will look forward to the updated tone arm so my cartridge(MP 110) isn't as shoehorned in but other than that..... Hats off to you, Mike and the entire Schiit staff for pulling this off! Well done.

i agree here too, i like what i heard and saw.. even with some of the QC issues its still a good turntable.. with the improvements that will be coming it will be far better than expected. i like the Sol, i am glad i got one. Hats off to the Schiit company for doing right to their customers!

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #50,970 of 155,069
i agree here too, i like what i heard and saw.. even with some of the QC issues its still a good turntable.. with the improvements that will be coming it will be far better than expected. i like the Sol, i am glad i got one. Hats off to the Schiit company for doing right to their customers!

I'm happy you like it, but the fact remains: we did screw up. We figured that a couple of years of playing prototypes at the Schiitr, plus a few trusted listeners made for a beta. The reality was we needed a much larger beta--like we did with Unison.

So, thanks for sticking with us through the World's Most Unexpected Beta, and remember, you can opt out at any time and get all your money back. Including after the beta ends.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back