Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 18, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #50,971 of 151,050
@Jason Stoddard, I would be happy to Beta test one if you need more testers. I have owned various quality turntables since the seventies and own four or five brands of cartridges.

Sep 18, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #50,972 of 151,050
I'm happy you like it, but the fact remains: we did screw up. We figured that a couple of years of playing prototypes at the Schiitr, plus a few trusted listeners made for a beta. The reality was we needed a much larger beta--like we did with Unison.
I, for one, am really looking forward to the chapter on the SOL launch!

I've been following the other forum threads and if you focus on the people who actually have tables, and are dealing directly with the issues, they are loving them.

Several folks (non table owners) are coming with all manner of criticisms of things that aren't the way they think they should be. This might create an opportunity for a more in depth discussion of the design decisions and goals that went into the table. For example, folks were complaining about the VTF adjustment with a set screw on the weight and Conrad Hoffman explained that they had looked at a threaded post but it weakened the post and created some resonances in the system. It is my impression / understanding that every detail of the design was carefully thought out but it may not be obvious, to everyone, why things are the way they are.

Many (most) of the critics clearly haven't followed the saga in these this and @Baldr 's threads where it was clear how big a reach it was for Schiit to build a turntable and how much time and effort was expended to get to this point. So, in a very human way, Schiit got a bit ahead of themselves here at the end but it is also clear that, like many other Schiit products, this one will also be a game changer.

I'll be looking to buy a SOL as soon as I figure out where to put it that isn't in front of a speaker. I've heard that is non-optimal.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #50,973 of 151,050
Sep 18, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #50,974 of 151,050
I have run into a lot of issues with pin solder on the Russian tubes, if you get a pair and they start giving you problems, send them to me and I will replace the solder at no cost or walk you through the process.

I have around 50 Fotons that need the pin solder replaced. Can I send them to you? Maybe 60, haven't counted in a while....

:grimacing:

I figure by the time I get through all of them, my pin soldering skills will improve from rank amateur to non-rank amateur. :slight_smile:

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #50,975 of 151,050
I have around 50 Fotons that need the pin solder replaced. Can I send them to you? Maybe 60, haven't counted in a while....

:grimacing:

I figure by the time I get through all of them, my pin soldering skills will improve from rank amateur to non-rank amateur. :slight_smile:

Drat I thought you had taken a boat to the part of a map titled “Here there be Dragons” and you would not show up asking for such things!

I meant that offer for normal people, you are “different”, I mean that in the nicest possible way.

I told you my secrets, it is up to you to do the work now. I can explain it to you but I cannot comprehend it for you!!:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #50,976 of 151,050
so, @Jason Stoddard , sitting here after installing the new analog input card (which I just noticed is no longer listed on the site) in my Lyr. Nota bene for those with Lyr or Jotunheim with fastener-free cases: Invest in a set of plastic spudgers, they make getting the aluminium top off a breeze!

Since I was up close and personal with the Lyr, wondering if you’ve abandoned that design? I noticed that neither Bifrost 2 nor Asgard 3 have fastener-free cases, both have screws. And what happened to the analog card? Mine works as advertised, very happy (did forget to flip the switch the first time, though...).

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #50,977 of 151,050
@Jason Stoddard Congrats on Asgard 3! I just got mine with the AK4490 card and I'm very happy with the sound, I find it warmer than both Magni 3 and Vali 2 in a very pleasing way. I have a couple of questions however, I was comparing the sound of the AK4490 card against the Modi 3 (DS) using my Asgard's usb and rca inputs respectively, and I noticed the volume was quite higher when listenting to the Modi. My questions are; a) Is this normal?, and; b) Does the AK4490 card "draw" from the amplifier power and thus decrease output wattage?
I'm not electronics savvy at all so please bear with me if these questions are obvious or simple. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #50,978 of 151,050
@Jason Stoddard I have a couple of questions however, I was comparing the sound of the AK4490 card against the Modi 3 (DS) using my Asgard's usb and rca inputs respectively, and I noticed the volume was quite higher when listenting to the Modi. My questions are; a) Is this normal?, and; b) Does the AK4490 card "draw" from the amplifier power and thus decrease output wattage?
I'm not electronics savvy at all so please bear with me if these questions are obvious or simple. Thanks!

When Jason is answering you'll get a spot on, detailed answer.
To b:
A DAC typically draws just small amounts of energy, and a well designed power supply delivers more than enough. So the reason why the Modi is playing louder lies in the voltage amplification factor. The chain Modi + Asgard will have a higher voltage output than Asgard + DAC card.
Just turn the volume knob a little bit more to get the same volume.
Actually your hifi chain will sound nicer (generally speaking), if you don't have to waste lots of voltage with a turned down volume. So it won't hurt you amp.

(The specs on Schiit's homepage say that Modi has 2V RMS output. I couldn't find the DAC card's output voltage.)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #50,979 of 151,050
Loving the new Bifrost 2, I'm listening with the HD 800S on the Lyr 3 and the quote someone said before about how "everything is just... more" springs to mind.
Schiit really hit it out of the park with this one! I've had some good times with the Mimby and Eitr but it's impossible to go back now.

Experience (Einaudi) - Ludovico's masterpiece was portrayed with a smoothness and clarity that I had never heard before! Normally I would turn the volume down... not this time

Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits) - Great vocals, such a fun solo, and the guitar was so detailed I could feel his fingers on the strings

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) - Amazing separation and detail, the voices were coming from all directions, what a roller coaster!

Little Wing (Hendrix) - Jimi's crazy voice bouncing can sometimes make me dizzy, but the sound of his guitar had to be heard to be believed, simply wonderful

Riders on the Storm (Doors) - I looked out my window truly expecting to see rain, incredible! The high keyboard part always gives me chills but this time it was other-worldy

Limelight (Rush) - Great drum imaging, it feels like you are in the drummers seat and hits are rolling all around you

2Jx1Cws.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #50,981 of 151,050
Sep 19, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #50,982 of 151,050
Sep 19, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #50,983 of 151,050
Sad to see that it’s only available in select countries. Also the UI on their player is horrible. Maybe by the time it rolls out to rest of the world, they have also improved their player.
Biggest problem right now is that it doesn't change the DAC's sample rate for you. Okay for Spotify since everything is 16/44 anyway, but not for high res. Qobuz and Tidal can do that. But Amazon's catalog seems a lot more complete than Qobuz and the UI is very responsive. Very happy that Chromecast is supported as well, though I haven't noticed sample rate changes there, either. Much more compelling launch than Qobuz as far as I am concerned, and much better price point as well.

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #50,984 of 151,050
But Amazon's catalog seems a lot more complete than Qobuz

I like Qobuz but their catalog is indeed disappointing. Tidal has a better catalog.

However some of my favourite albums I have not found in any online streaming catalog yet... Such as Orchestral Tubular Bells from Mike Oldfield & The London Philharmonic Orchestra.
(Well, I just found it in Spotify but cannot play it from there: )

Streaming is not yet the answer to everything!

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #50,985 of 151,050
Several of us have been checking out Amazon HD since Monday and being Amazon, it is lossless for the masses. They do have a very good selection of music and I would rate their SQ slightly ahead of Tidal with a similar UI. Since it works well with Amazon devices and Prime members get a discount, it will certainly reach a lot of people quickly. I did find some Chesky recordings and some fairly obscure music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back