Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 16, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #50,941 of 149,167
For the last few months I have been listening to my Freya S and her two Aegir mono block cats and am very very happy with the sound quality.

Very Class A'ish!

It sounds very natural and has the rare combination of being very dynamic and smooth.

The bass is solid, tight and impactful. The mids have no flaws or character I can hear. It is natural, dynamic and smooth as stated above (like the bass and the highs). The highs are detailed without any hint of being overly bright or fatiguing.

A great sounding solid state balanced preamp for $599 US - Amazing!

A great sounding Class A'ish 80 watt mono block amp for $799 US - even more Amazing!!!

They are an excellent combination regardless of price. For the price they are astounding.

The biggest surprise for me is that I prefer the 4x gain setting on the Freya S. I was expecting to like the passive mode most given I have the tenancy to be a "straight wire with gain, less is more" guy. To my ears, in my system, the 4x sounds more natural and realistic with the transients followed by the 1x and then the passive.

The customer service with the order was excellent. I ordered the Aegir's on May 25th shortly after they went into back order, they shipped June 4th. I ordered the Freya S on May 28th just after the preamp Thunderdome release. It was shipped the same day, May 28th.

Thanks to Jason and the crew that was involved in the design and assembly of my Freya S and Aegir's.

Final thought on Continuity vs Class A. I'm very happy with my Class A Asgard 2 and completely satisfied with it's sound quality so I will not be selling it to upgrade to the Asgard 3 but if I was going to purchase a head phone amp at this time I would not hesitate to order the Continuity Asgard 3 over a Class A amp given my experience with the Aegir's.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #50,944 of 149,167
Wow ... missing 6 months on this site is like missing 6 years anywhere else :astonished:

Still trying to catch up ... but far enough along to have just placed an order for a Bifrost 2!

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #50,945 of 149,167
Paradigm Studio 20’s, 8 Ohms, Sensitivity Room 89 dB, Anechoic 86 dB. I also have a pair of Definitive Technology Pro Sub 10’s tuned to crossover at about 55 Hz (bottom end of the Studio 20’s) fed line level directly from the Freya S.
Paradigm Studio Line was wicked good. I still regret selling my gen 1 studio 20s. They cost me $600 new and were great speakers.

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #50,946 of 149,167
Way back, the first ever Schiit product I heard, at a meet, was their first ever product, the Asgard. I didn't like it back then (I think I tried it with LCD-2s, so maybe just not a good match) but the new Asgard 3 is a totally different beast. The Bifrost 2 has been a surprise too. Think of a slightly more forgiving, and slightly less detailed Yggy.

IMG_3173.jpeg

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #50,947 of 149,167
Way back, the first ever Schiit product I heard, at a meet, was their first ever product, the Asgard. I didn't like it back then (I think I tried it with LCD-2s, so maybe just not a good match) but the new Asgard 3 is a totally different beast. The Bifrost 2 has been a surprise too. Think of a slightly more forgiving, and slightly less detailed Yggy.

Review incoming?

Sep 17, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #50,948 of 149,167
Sep 17, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #50,950 of 149,167
Can you listen to the song Elan from Nightwish? I'd like to hear your thoughts of that song with the Asgard 3. If no, all good, just thought I'd ask.

I only have the Sundaras, not the HE-400S, but the Asgard 3 seems to drive them with a reasonable amount of relaxed ease, without sounding too "forced", listening to that track. This using an Yggy as a source. It doesn't quite bring out the drama during the chorus that my big amps can though.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #50,951 of 149,167
Sep 17, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #50,953 of 149,167
Here's something for a listen.... This is one of a few, great performance and even sounds remarkable on YouTube... no doubt to the great recording

Enjoy

Wow! That sounds good for (IMO) all the right reasons. It is a live take in a great sounding room with all analog gear. There are 2(!) Studer 2" tape machines running as well. Guitar players and keyboard artists are going to use reverb, but it sounds like the mixing engineer didn't go for the standard cop-out with great washes of main bus compression and reverb. NO! What we have is the sound of the room winding it's way around the music. Very nice indeed!

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #50,954 of 149,167
My Aegir shipped this morning! I was planning to visit the Schittr to listen to it before ordering, but work and life keep getting in the way so I decided to just order it. My Zu Omen Dirty Weekends are looking forward to meeting their new partner.

I think there are alot of us that want to know how that pairing turns out.

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #50,955 of 149,167
For those of you asking about specific tubes I like in the Freya +, I am going to try to comment in this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-freya-impressions-and-tube-rolling-thread.832177/page-123

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I am eyeing some of the 1578's (noting all the specific details to watch for).

Would having just a single matched pair in the gain side of Freya+ make much difference (with the stock Tung-Sol in the other), or do all four need to be the 1578s to really make it worthwhile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back