Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 15, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #50,926 of 149,294
Has anyone found a great single-remote solution for Saga/Freya + Bifrost 2?

I don't have actual hands on experience with that setup, but the harmony remote system with the hub and
least amount of buttons has satisfied my need for a true universal remote.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915...armony+remote&qid=1568588220&s=gateway&sr=8-7

They used to have a version with a white remote, which I preferred (why did a black remote become de rigeur for home theatre? I'm in the dark, fumbling around trying to find a black remote, then operate black buttons, that I can't make out without also finding and/or removing my glasses. Which I also can't find in the dark. White makes so much more sense...).

I also prefer the version without the touchscreen. An all-button remote means you can build muscle memory for operating things in the dark. A touchscreen means you have to look at the remote to make sure you're pushing the right thing.

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #50,927 of 149,294
Has anyone found a great single-remote solution for Saga/Freya + Bifrost 2?
Since there’s no on/off on the Saga+ Or Vidar, my plan is to utilize a “green” power strip that has a master outlet that will shut down all other outlets when the equipment plugged into the master is turned off. My Saga sits above the Vidar so I tried using the Saga as the convenient master. Doesn’t draw enough or the delay screws up so that’s a no go. Reversing that with the Vidar as the master works perfectly, shutting down modi, Saga and my REL. That’s a manual workaround but I can do it all from across the room if I introduce equipment that works on a remote to the chain. I have an old DVD player around that I’ll plug into the master. It won’t even need to be plugged into the Saga, it’s just a slave for the master. I’ll use a Harmony that has a routine to turn on the DVD. It will trigger the master and should have remote turn on capability for the Saga and Vidar.

Sep 15, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #50,928 of 149,294
Missing eyephone: some years ago I bought a used Hsu subwoofer via Craigslist. As I started to haul it away, I something(s) inside the sub rattled. I quizzically informed the seller, who reached inside one of the ports and pulled out a toy truck, a small smurf doll, a remote control, etc. He had two darling toddlers who were peering around a door at us, probably thinking. "Daddy found my Smurf Doll!"
The sub was unharmed.
As for the cat, the one below three recurved bows, I recommend training with a water spray bottle. I would be opposed to using something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Arrowhead-Archery-Combat-Larp-Arrow/dp/B01B2KKN8K

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #50,929 of 149,294
re: the kitten on the side table, I like the bright red color of (partially obscured) fourth re-curve. the cat will just learn to wait till you're out of the room, then push the stuff off the table :)

re the eyephone in the sub-woofer port: how about a half sandwich in the vcr slot left by small children ???

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #50,930 of 149,294
I don't have actual hands on experience with that setup, but the harmony remote system with the hub and
least amount of buttons has satisfied my need for a true universal remote.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915...armony+remote&qid=1568588220&s=gateway&sr=8-7

They used to have a version with a white remote, which I preferred (why did a black remote become de rigeur for home theatre? I'm in the dark, fumbling around trying to find a black remote, then operate black buttons, that I can't make out without also finding and/or removing my glasses. Which I also can't find in the dark. White makes so much more sense...).

I also prefer the version without the touchscreen. An all-button remote means you can build muscle memory for operating things in the dark. A touchscreen means you have to look at the remote to make sure you're pushing the right thing.

That seems like a good option, thanks. From the Amazon comments it sounds like I can use it for my Apple TV remote too and not have to deal with the godforsaken swipe for fast forward anymore. Has anyone tried this remote with the Bifrost 2 by chance?

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #50,931 of 149,294
That seems like a good option, thanks. From the Amazon comments it sounds like I can use it for my Apple TV remote too and not have to deal with the godforsaken swipe for fast forward anymore. Has anyone tried this remote with the Bifrost 2 by chance?

Affirmative on the Apple TV.

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #50,932 of 149,294
I bought the following item from Amazon about a month ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GXCYWRQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Its really been nice using this to turn Vidar and Saga on/off at the same time. Mimby (modi multibit) and Loki are easy to reach, so manual control for them. When I order Bifrost 2 in the coming months I'll probably get a small trip lite power switch to plug into the remote switch, so that the larger items are on one switch.

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #50,934 of 149,294
Using Asgard 2 and Bifrost MultiBit (1st gen) with Akg K702. Looking for HeadPhone (HP) upgrade recommendations with better imaging (less in-your-head effect). Are mr speakers Aeon Flow Open (13 ohms), or Ether Flow 1.1 (23 ohms) good options? looking for lighter HP's, ~300g weight range OK-- 500g is too heavy and as someone on another head-fi thread said "would be like wearing a birdhouse"

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #50,937 of 149,294
re: the kitten on the side table, I like the bright red color of (partially obscured) fourth re-curve. the cat will just learn to wait till you're out of the room, then push the stuff off the table :)

re the eyephone in the sub-woofer port: how about a half sandwich in the vcr slot left by small children ???

Cardinal red recurve with black limbs. I had matching arrows fletched by the man who fletched arrows for the movie Deliverance. The books author was an archer, James Dickey.

Sep 16, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #50,938 of 149,294
re the iPhone [correction] in the sub-woofer port: how about a half sandwich in the vcr slot left by small children ???

I've heard that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are great for this!

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #50,939 of 149,294
To those who have both an Asgard 3 and a Magni 3, which would you say is more laid-back, warmer?

Asgard 3, but only by a touch. Asgard 3 has the 500mW of Class A bias that Magni 3 doesn't have and I think that gives that little extra something that magni needed.

If you want a significant difference, the Asgard 2 was warm (and hot to touch :wink:) compared to the Magni 3.

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #50,940 of 149,294
Asgard 3, but only by a touch. Asgard 3 has the 500mW of Class A bias that Magni 3 doesn't have and I think that gives that little extra something that magni needed.

If you want a significant difference, the Asgard 2 was warm (and hot to touch :wink:) compared to the Magni 3.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back