Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 12, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #50,821 of 149,792
This new Bifrost 2 makes me wonder if Jason is able to redesign Jotunheim, Lyr 3, Asgard 3, Gungnir, Yggdrasil to have the same modular architecture as Bifrost 2.

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #50,822 of 149,792
When is Unison coming?

Should we expect a Flimby by the end of the year?

Unison available now in the new Bifrost. Others sure to follow.

"Flimby"?

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #50,825 of 149,792
That's a surprise, I thought Unison would electronically isolate your source and Bifrost 2. Recheck connections, ground?

@Jason Stoddard
on the Bifrost FAQ it says
There's even a tube remote volume option for $349, called "Saga+
I think that's a misprint regarding the price of Saga +

NF

Try reversing just the schuko plug on the PC mains AC connection. As the other post indicated, Unison on Bifrost 2 should have galvanic and magnetic isolation of the USB port.

Try to find a better USB source. Optical = jitter and Unison should be so much better.

I’ll play around with different USB ports when I get home from work. With Unison I don’t hear background electrical noice, which I do with other DACs, but if I play music or games, I get these electrical chirps.

I only tried the USB port straight out of my Asus Z270F motherboard. I’ll try my PC case’s and display monitor’s USB ports too. I also have a Wyrd around, but atleast with other DACs it didn’t solve the issues.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #50,830 of 149,792
The Audiodharma in the flesh.

Comes with adapters for power cords, but you'll have to make your own for headphones depending on the cup termination. I made the one below for the Aeons -- Mr. Speakers is kind enough to sell both the female and male plugs of their somewhat unique connector at a very decent price. Not terribly pretty (the adapter, I mean) but it gets the job done.

I can't tell you specifically why it works. But I suspect it has more to do with conditioning the dielectric than the wire itself. Just my opinion though. With some interconnects it makes a very audible improvement, and with some interconnects it doesn't make any difference at all that I can hear. Same thing with power cords. But if you want to blow your mind, cook a headphone cable. Or tonearm wires, especially if it's a captive cable (my Nottingham has one continuous run from the cartridge clips to the RCA jacks that plug into the preamp).

I too have one of these and have been using it for several years now.
It seems like every 6-9 months is the 're-cook' cycle and after re-cooking either a single cable or my entire cable set (ac and signal and digital cables) the change is quite remarkable, especially so after I re-cook everything.
Everything takes a mutha may I step up in SQ, but most notably and most welcome is the change to the LEDI (Leading Edge Dynamic Impact) of every source of sound.

I have and use the adapters for both analog and digital unbalanced signal, balanced signal, & USB, speaker, ethernet, and ac power, cables.

I have looked at the waveforms it generates.
And I agree that the cooker seems to scramble the cables dialectic's and 'resets' it to a more 'neutral' response to the voltages and current that passes thru them.

The wave form is a square wave with varying amplitude using swept frequencies with a significant amount of current being sent down the cables.
And the cooker does generate a fair amount of heat, which many of the other cookers don't, which means they aren't designed to pass current, which seems to limit their effectiveness.

This seems to be the 'trick' with this cooker, because it's sending 'power', with continually varying series of harmonics into the entire cable being cooked, and as a result the dialectics 'mechanism' of storage and release of electrical energy is equalized across the audio bandwidth.
At least that is an explanation that coincides with what I hear.

It does take a bit of time to figure out how many hrs each cables 'needs' to reach optimum 'cookery', but you can't hurt the cables if they get 'overcooked'.
And yeah they are 'spendy' units, but they are heavy duty and will last a long, long time.

JJ

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #50,831 of 149,792
I too have one of these and have been using it for several years now.
It seems like every 6-9 months is the 're-cook' cycle and after re-cooking either a single cable or my entire cable set (ac and signal and digital cables) the change is quite remarkable, especially so after I re-cook everything.
Everything takes a mutha may I step up in SQ, but most notably and most welcome is the change to the LEDI (Leading Edge Dynamic Impact) of every source of sound.

I have and use the adapters for both analog and digital unbalanced signal, balanced signal, & USB, speaker, ethernet, and ac power, cables.

I have looked at the waveforms it generates.
And I agree that the cooker seems to scramble the cables dialectic's and 'resets' it to a more 'neutral' response to the voltages and current that passes thru them.

The wave form is a square wave with varying amplitude using swept frequencies with a significant amount of current being sent down the cables.
And the cooker does generate a fair amount of heat, which many of the other cookers don't, which means they aren't designed to pass current, which seems to limit their effectiveness.

This seems to be the 'trick' with this cooker, because it's sending 'power', with continually varying series of harmonics into the entire cable being cooked, and as a result the dialectics 'mechanism' of storage and release of electrical energy is equalized across the audio bandwidth.
At least that is an explanation that coincides with what I hear.

It does take a bit of time to figure out how many hrs each cables 'needs' to reach optimum 'cookery', but you can't hurt the cables if they get 'overcooked'.
And yeah they are 'spendy' units, but they are heavy duty and will last a long, long time.

JJ

@johnjen

I will withhold any comments till I check one of these devices out but it sounds like you are noticing a remarkable difference in ALL cables. Therefore with one of those machines in hand, and following careful protocols I could cook a certain amount of cables of most any type and you could tell me blindly which cables were cooked because they sound remarkably better? Lets say a group of 8-10 cables and I would leave some uncooked, and cook the remainder. Obviously then you would be able to say, cables 2, 6, and 9 out of the 10 sound remarkably better. In the sake of fairness I would want you to select a type of cable that is the easiest for you to tell a difference with, I have some short runs of 16 awg speaker wire I could easily use for such an experiment if that is a good choice for you. Heck I could even send you hand built USB cables, interconnects, AES/EBU cables whatever, in groups of five just to make sure I was not sending you a sampling that was more difficult than what you are using yourself. You might have trouble with one type of cable but be spot on with all the rest.

Bill had mentioned headphone cables but I believe if those are hand braided, it is so hard to get every pair braided with the exact same force as I might with standard twisted pair, or bonded twisted pair (even more accurate.)

That sounds like a fun experiment to me and I know @bcowen to be a most honorable man, I could send him the info before you announce your results in order to be totally fair. I prefer shipping such things inside the US and I would certainly cover all expenses in such an experiment. The cables would be brand new and newly cooked and I know Bill keeps all equipment in remarkable condition so I am sure his cooker is fine. I do not know you and it is not my intent to embarrass you of course, I would just like to set something up more out of curiosity, I have spent the last 14 years in this specific field and I am always willing to learn something new. As a thank you for taking the time to do this, if you are willing, I would be happy to send you a set of cables gratis that I would personally fabricate or just let you keep the test cables.

This could be a fun thing for Jason to try at one of his monthly thunderdome challenges as well if he runs out of ideas. If you happened to see what I sent him for last night's experiment at Schiit, I believe you can tell I would follow through on my end if you are game for a challenge. :smile_phones:

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #50,832 of 149,792
When is Unison coming?

Should we expect a Flimby by the end of the year?

Per Jason's posts I'm too lazy to quote: Unison won't be coming until January for Bifrost 1, Gumby and Yggy. Add-on cards for Lyr, Jot and A3 maybe a year+ from now.

I personally wouldn't count on a "flimby"? or a unison mimby.

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #50,834 of 149,792
@johnjen

I will withhold any comments till I check one of these devices out but it sounds like you are noticing a remarkable difference in ALL cables. Therefore with one of those machines in hand, and following careful protocols I could cook a certain amount of cables of most any type and you could tell me blindly which cables were cooked because they sound remarkably better? Lets say a group of 8-10 cables and I would leave some uncooked, and cook the remainder. Obviously then you would be able to say, cables 2, 6, and 9 out of the 10 sound remarkably better. In the sake of fairness I would want you to select a type of cable that is the easiest for you to tell a difference with, I have some short runs of 16 awg speaker wire I could easily use for such an experiment if that is a good choice for you. Heck I could even send you hand built USB cables, interconnects, AES/EBU cables whatever, in groups of five just to make sure I was not sending you a sampling that was more difficult than what you are using yourself. You might have trouble with one type of cable but be spot on with all the rest.

Bill had mentioned headphone cables but I believe if those are hand braided, it is so hard to get every pair braided with the exact same force as I might with standard twisted pair, or bonded twisted pair (even more accurate.)

That sounds like a fun experiment to me and I know @bcowen to be a most honorable man, I could send him the info before you announce your results in order to be totally fair. I prefer shipping such things inside the US and I would certainly cover all expenses in such an experiment. The cables would be brand new and newly cooked and I know Bill keeps all equipment in remarkable condition so I am sure his cooker is fine. I do not know you and it is not my intent to embarrass you of course, I would just like to set something up more out of curiosity, I have spent the last 14 years in this specific field and I am always willing to learn something new. As a thank you for taking the time to do this, if you are willing, I would be happy to send you a set of cables gratis that I would personally fabricate or just let you keep the test cables.

This could be a fun thing for Jason to try at one of his monthly thunderdome challenges as well if he runs out of ideas. If you happened to see what I sent him for last night's experiment at Schiit, I believe you can tell I would follow through on my end if you are game for a challenge. :smile_phones:
didn’t read it yet but just keep in mind that sleeping is a good thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back