Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 12, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #50,791 of 150,544
I regret to inform the citizens of this thread that my good friend Robert Padgett has passed away.

He was a great guy and I knew him quite well.

I spoke with him on the phone just a couple weeks ago for over an hour. The last we heard from him was on Monday.

He was able to overcome some serious health problems for quite some time.
We are still unsure of what exactly happened to him because of physical distance between us all.

But not a day went by when I didn't talk with Robert one way or another.

He had friends all over the internet. He was very knowledgeable about music and affordable HiFi gear.

I will miss him greatly.

We are all still hoping that this is some kind of a mistake and are shocked by his absence from our small group of friends.

I'd be happy to be wrong about what has happened to Robert but I'm afraid he won't be seen around here again.

Rick
Thanks, Rick @the finisher for letting us know about Robert passing. I know it's a rough thing for you to announce.
May he RIP, condolences to friends and family.

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #50,792 of 150,544
But that way you're only comparing the cooked versus uncooked interconnects. I won't bet a dinner (or worse, the horror of donning a Duke T-shirt) on interconnects. :slight_smile: Interconnects are too variable. Has to be the headphone cable itself from 1/4" jack (or adapted mini plug) to the cup connection(s). Still happy to send you the Cooker to play with regardless, but we'll have to agree on the specifics if it comes to the point of a test bet with a steak dinner at, um, stake. :rolling_eyes:

We will go over specifics later and I can come up with any feasible combination of cables, the switchbox has rca in and out so that would make the testing easier is all but I know what you are saying.

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #50,793 of 150,544
I regret to inform the citizens of this thread that my good friend Robert Padgett has passed away.

I spoke with him on the phone just a couple weeks ago for over an hour. The last we heard from him was on Monday.

We are still unsure of what exactly happened to him because of physical distance between us all.

He had friends all over the internet. He was very knowledgeable about music and affordable HiFi gear.

I will miss him greatly.

We are all still hoping that this is some kind of a mistake and are shocked by his absence from our small group of friends.

I'd be happy to be wrong about what has happened to Robert but I'm afraid he won't be seen around here again.

Rick

Terrible news - sorry you have to be the bearer of it. RIP.

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #50,795 of 150,544

I will miss him greatly.

Rick
That is absolutely terrible news. I met him in person a few months back. He and I live not far away and had just connected through this forum. Deeply saddened.

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #50,797 of 150,544
Bifrost 2 in the house! Sadly Unison can’t do anything about the electric noices from my PC coming through USB, but optical connection has zero issues and sounds wonderful.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #50,799 of 150,544
Unison can’t do anything about the electric noices from my PC coming through USB
That's a surprise, I thought Unison would electronically isolate your source and Bifrost 2. Recheck connections, ground?

@Jason Stoddard
on the Bifrost FAQ it says
There's even a tube remote volume option for $349, called "Saga+
I think that's a misprint regarding the price of Saga +

NF

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #50,800 of 150,544
Bifrost 2 in the house! Sadly Unison can’t do anything about the electric noices from my PC coming through USB, but optical connection has zero issues and sounds wonderful.
Try reversing just the schuko plug on the PC mains AC connection. As the other post indicated, Unison on Bifrost 2 should have galvanic and magnetic isolation of the USB port.

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #50,801 of 150,544
Sorry to hear about Robert P. Everyone please consider playing a song in his honor.
I do recall him being a fan of Daft Punk.

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #50,804 of 150,544
Question, do B-Stock items from Schiit comes with a red sticker or two on the packaging?

Alexnova,

We use a lot of different stickers on our bags to provide visual aids to the people who are responsible for packing your order. In the image below we have a Jotunheim that has three stickers. The large red/orange mailing label sticker at the top is used to show that a product is b-stock. The small red dot on the back at the bottom shows that a Multibit module has been installed. A purple dot would indicate a 4490 card. No dot would indicate no module or the phono module has been installed. We'd then look at the module and see if anything was in place to make sure we had the right unit during pick and pack. The orange dot with 230V at the bottom indicates the unit is configured for 220V - 240V countries. We have 8 different variations for A-stock Jotunheim on our shelf, so the stickers are very important to keep track of these differences.

Thanks,

Alex

Resized_20190912_141754.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back