Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 6, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #50,311 of 150,380
Turntables of this quality used to be sold only at audio salons who mounted the arm and cartridge for you and included the labour in their markup. And charged a lot more money. If you watch the video and think the setup process is too involved for you just don't buy it. If you balk at tying a knot in some fishing line or moving a belt on a pulley Sol is not for you.

That was a great video and the setup is pretty straight forward, anyone who works with their hands can do it. Turntables are not for everyone but people who like vinyl accept the maintenance that comes with owning a turntable and enjoy the setup process. I bet Schiit sells all the Sols they can make.

They won't ever sell a ready made version, not with that tonearm and isolated motor. The best you could hope for is a cartridge pre-mounted on an arm. You would still have to mount the arm, set up the motor pod and belt and do final adjustments. We have not even got into proper record care yet. And cartridges go out of alignment, have to be changed. Sounds like you know your limitations and should stick to streaming or CDs.
I can appreciate that this is a nice looking turntable. But look, I know you would do your research, read the faq, click on the video link, figure it out and click buy. But what do you think Schiit's user base is? I'm imagining relatively young people looking for high value stuff who don't have a lot of experience with TTs that aren't going to be doing all this planning. They just click buy. If you're lucky they figured out they need a phono preamp. Returns/support calls galore!

I do currently use a Pioneer PL-570 turntable. Cost $5 garage sale. There was no setup. It had auto return and a button press to switch between 33 and 45.
I'm not saying Schiit needs to be a cheap garage sale find - but I'm just cautioning that the average buyer might not be that research oriented or patient when they click buy.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #50,313 of 150,380
Maybe they could name it 'Rtie'. :smirk:

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #50,314 of 150,380
Hoping for some tube advice/info. I am really enjoying my Freya +, especially with a pair of the 6SN7 Tung Sols on the left side and a pair of the 6N8S on the right side.

The 6N8S matched quad I bought from Schiit included 3 6H8C tubes and one SovTek 6SN7 tube (which sounds great as one of the right pair).

I am a tube noob, trying to learn. But I am confused here... How is it that 6N8S can also mean 6H8C and 6SN7? For example if I buy the 6SN7 Tung Sols, I am getting 6SN7 tubes, obviously. But if I instead buy the 6N8S tubes, I am still getting basically 6SN7 tubes. They all seem to be more or less the same thing but with varying names? I don't understand how to draw distinctions here, would greatly appreciate some input...

Also, I've read that you should only use matched pairs of tubes. But I am curious.......what happens if someone doesn't use matched tubes?
Nothing bad happens without tubes being matched, just one channel might be louder than another. They will fail at different times regardless of matched or not.

It must be a mistake. 6H8C/6N8S are very close to 6SN7, but not the same. Nobody in the tube world refers to different tubes as being "matched," it's just assumed that if you have a matched pair, they are the same, first of all, and also happen to test very closely. Even with matched pairs, in a perfect world, you'd want them to be of the same factory era, and most matched pairs/quads are. Two tubes made by in different countries to slightly different specs are simply not matched, even if they test the same strength.

edit: Some amps do account for strength differences and you won't hear level differences, don't know enough about Schiit amps. All this said, if you are happy, I'd stick with what you have, just don't try to resell it as "matched" lol.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #50,315 of 150,380
Nothing bad happens without tubes being matched, just one channel might be louder than another. They will fail at different times regardless of matched or not.

It must be a mistake. 6H8C/6N8S are very close to 6SN7, but not the same. Nobody in the tube world refers to different tubes as being "matched," it's just assumed that if you have a matched pair, they are the same, first of all, and also happen to test very closely. Even with matched pairs, in a perfect world, you'd want them to be of the same factory era, and most matched pairs/quads are. Two tubes made by in different countries to slightly different specs are simply not matched, even if they test the same strength.

edit: Some amps do account for strength differences and you won't hear level differences, don't know enough about Schiit amps. All this said, if you are happy, I'd stick with what you have, just don't try to resell it as "matched" lol.

I like to use the word equivalent, either of those tube numbers will work in the Freya. It is unlikely that you can easily match a 6h8C with a 6sn7. I tried to leave part of what I said open ended because you can have a tube made by Sylvania with another name on it but it is the same tube and it might well test close enough to be considered matched. I agree it is much easier to find two new tubes made about the same time, and match those. If you start testing older tubes, and used tubes, matching is less likely.

examples of matched pairs with different brand names in older tubes:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/717061...air&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/731815525/matched-pair-sylvania-6sn7-6sn7gt-tubes?
ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=6sn7+matched+pair&ref=sr_gallery-1-25&organic_search_click=1

I like the second example best, both tubes built by Sylvania, one with the Ken-Rad brand name, the other is branded Raytheon

In the Freya, from what I understand, you need not have a matched quad but you should use two matched pairs. I am currently running some 6sn7 equivalents, Melz 1578's (6N8S) and CBS/Hytron 5692's. There are also military tube designations. There is a lot to this hobby and often times you are using tube manuals from the 50's and 60's for many of the US tubes. Another good reference is a book called Tube Lore, it helps you with manufacturing codes and military designations for US tubes.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #50,316 of 150,380
One more addendum to the 6H8C tube designation: in the Cyrillic alphabet, what appears to be an "H" is actually their letter for the "N" sound. Similarly, what appears to be a "C" is actually their "S" sound. So 6H8C is the same thing (identical) as 6N8S.

Also, for those who remember the bad old days, "CCCP" actually sounds like "SSSR".

ed

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #50,317 of 150,380
One more addendum to the 6H8C tube designation: in the Cyrillic alphabet, what appears to be an "H" is actually their letter for the "N" sound. Similarly, what appears to be a "C" is actually their "S" sound. So 6H8C is the same thing (identical) as 6N8S.

Also, for those who remember the bad old days, "CCCP" actually sounds like "SSSR".

ed

Excellent info. A Russian gentleman gave me some tubes when I bought others and it took me a while to figure out what they actually were.

Once you start doing some research, you begin to understand just how little you know about some of this. I do believe during WW 2 we may have helped the Russians with tube manufacturing equipment since they were an ally. I do know I have better luck with the Russian tubes once I remove the old solder from the pins, re-flux and re-solder them. Many of the sought after tubes are 60 years old.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #50,318 of 150,380
I do know I have better luck with the Russian tubes once I remove the old solder from the pins, re-flux and re-solder them. Many of the sought after tubes are 60 years old.
I need to try this with noisy tubes I, am just too lazy. I have some 6F8G national unions that are incredible, and also incredibly noisy. I guess I'd have to find the ole solder iron too.... Many impediments to this path. But one day!

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #50,319 of 150,380
93FEA7EE-DE02-4A3C-A5C8-71CCF3F0F670.jpeg
I need to try this with noisy tubes I, am just too lazy. I have some 6F8G national unions that are incredible, and also incredibly noisy. I guess I'd have to find the ole solder iron too.... Many impediments to this path. But one day!
If you are in the US I would be happy to re-solder those for you. This is one with the original solder removed.

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #50,320 of 150,380
It is unlikely that you can easily match a 6h8C with a 6sn7.

I don't know how that SovTek 6SN7 got included in my box of matched quad 6N8S tubes then. But it sounds great on the right side when paired with one of the 6H8C tubes. That's why I was confused. And it made me wonder how I could ever make this match again? It seems that I could buy additional SovTek 6SN7s but who knows if they would match/work with my remaining 6H8C tubes?

Worst-case scenario I could try it and if it didn't work, nothing would explode or burst into flames, right? It just might lead to different channel volumes?

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #50,321 of 150,380
Kudos Jason, no wonder you were too busy for RMAF!

Seriously with all this stuff lately
IMG_20190906_120606088.jpg
IMG_20190906_120517150.jpg
IMG_20190906_120530813.jpg
the whole Schiit team needs to take a bow! Really!

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #50,322 of 150,380
I don't know how that SovTek 6SN7 got included in my box of matched quad 6N8S tubes then. But it sounds great on the right side when paired with one of the 6H8C tubes. That's why I was confused. And it made me wonder how I could ever make this match again? It seems that I could buy additional SovTek 6SN7s but who knows if they would match/work with my remaining 6H8C tubes?

Worst-case scenario I could try it and if it didn't work, nothing would explode or burst into flames, right? It just might lead to different channel volumes?

I do not own many SovTek or I would offer to help. Put up a photo of that tube and one of the 6H8C's if you can.

I own maybe 300 6sn7 equivalents but on Russian tubes there are only a few types I seek. I did get some of the Russian made Tung Sols with one of my Freya's and they are pretty decent. Jason has to be able to buy new tubes and to me that is a pretty good choice.

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #50,323 of 150,380
Dead after they sell out.

I cannot tell you whether the Wyrd made a difference. I know that EITR is better, but the poor lowly Wyrd still has a life. It is a wonderful PSU for Modi 3. I will mourn the passing of EITR and Wyrd, as I celebrate Unison and Autonomy because I enjoy tech gear improving by generation. At least the Wyrd will be surrounded by good music if it isn't all "Dead".

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #50,324 of 150,380
Kudos Jason, no wonder you were too busy for RMAF!

Seriously with all this stuff lately the whole Schiit team needs to take a bow! Really!

Literally every product at RMAF is new in 2019.

Well, except Mani.

Oh, and did you notice the debossed metal around the knobs on Fulla 3 and Hel? No more misalignment for Fulla or Hel. Neither got screened in time for the show, but I think you pretty much know what to expect on the logo/naming side. Probably releasing end of September.

The Raal direct drive amp is one of the most fun things I've done recently, a real engineering challenge. I'm building what should be the final prototypes next week, then we'll get it scheduled.

shitton 1k.jpg

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back