Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 30, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #49,984 of 150,567
My preamp of choice was a Saga S. I had just moved into my first house and I wanted some 2.1 channel audio to celebrate. Since I already had a spare Modi 2 Uber, that meant I just needed some speakers, a Vidar, and a preamp. I liked the value proposition of the Saga S, and knew I probably wouldn't ever need balanced out. So far this sounds amazing to me. I especially love the remote (size and weight).

Now I just need to save up for a Bifrost 2 for my desktop setup. Dang it Jason, stop making me spend all my money on Schiit.

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #49,986 of 150,567
Bottom line: I'm totally blown away that the top-selling preamp is by far the most expensive. I would have never called that.

Then this is clear evidence of the need for a more expensive headphone amp. You know, with 300B's. :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #49,987 of 150,567
The other sad thing about the preamp Thunderdome results: I now know why people get caught up in this insane high-end thing--you know, car-priced DACs, MacBook-priced phono preamps, etc...because as soon as it was clear that a $900 preamp was cleaning the clocks of stuff $300-600, I thought, "Schiit, maybe I should do an even crazier preamp, maybe Yggy-sized, maybe near $2000."

TL;DR: I thought briefly about doing a more expensive preamp, then came to my senses. No, there will NOT be a preamp above Freya+.

Whatever you do, don't go that route. You will lose the entire point of the company's existence. You'd become just another in a sea of hi-fi companies and I for one wouldn't look at your products as seriously knowing that performance was just one reason for a product's existence rather than the ONLY reason.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #49,988 of 150,567
.....{{{snip}}}}}.....To do what? Increase prices? Honestly asking--I don't know what they could do for us in Canada. Is there some advantage that I don't know about?
Would be nice to order and not have something torn apart at customs or have insane shipping charges added as single unit shipments.
PLUS: could there be some kinds of NAFTA-esk, aggregatted-shipment from Los Angeles to Toronto (or Esterhazy [my mum was born in the Potash capital of Canada])? Every 2-4 weeks(?), Schiit's boss-shipper sends a monster crate to us. We get a trusted Canadian broker to forward the individual orders to my fellow, aurally-starved Cannucks. Would a Canadian distributor allow us to get a break on the Harmonized Sales Tax (aka - GST)? Or reduce the amount of 'brokerage fees' we get hosed?!
MINUS: Would the Canadian-Schiit-Show mirror all the stock found at the California store? Schiit's current EU distributor has a selection of stock, no? We're a tiny market... a bunch of Canoe-Heads hugging the US/Canadian border -- yeah, I know. :triportsad:
INTERESTING: I'm really lucky to be just North of the Border. When I track a Schiit-Shipment, I can see it go from Los Angeles... to Dallas... to somewhereville Louisianna... to Brampton... to me.

A submarine is a boat, and everything else is a target.
Heh heh.
Deep down, you know it. makes sense.......
Sigh....

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #49,989 of 150,567
I am about ready to give up. I can't find anyone who can give me a solid answer on Aeon Flow Closed Jotumheim vs. Mjolnir vs. potentiality of a Liquid Platinum. I am leaning towards the MJ2 but I will get hosed on shipping fees like mad.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #49,990 of 150,567
I don't see the point given the JBL Nano Patch+. Over on the other site, the discussion for this product hinged around people wanting something that was reference quality to connect their Yggdrasil/Gungnir (and now Bifrost 2 with XLR out I guess) into Schiit monoblocks and/or the future high-powered Continuity (stereo?) amp. Something to compete with Goldpoint SA2X: http://www.goldpt.com/sa2x.html, which is $600+.

Think that relay attenuation and remote control are important features that would differentiate it from the cheaper passive options like the JBL and are important for living room speaker systems. To cut down on costs, could even reuse the Freya S enclosure, but just rejigger it a bit to lose the SE ins and add another set of XLR out. Then it would match the aesthetics of the higher end DACs as well. Would also give you room to isolate the circuitry for the remote from the input/outputs. Could call it Freya P. Thought the target was $200 range?

I agree completely with this. A bare bones balanced Sys would be nice, but a Freya P as described would get my dollars. I have a Khozmo passive in my 2 channel system and I really like it, but I'd love to have more Schiit and this is a hole in the line-up.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #49,991 of 150,567
"And then I realized there was very little I could do to improve Freya+, other than making it bigger and fancier. it already had tubes and relay attenuation and differential buffers and microprocessor oversight and two transformers and and and...and I remembered that interview where someone asked me, "What makes a preamp expensive?" and I had to answer, "No friggin idea" No, there will NOT be a preamp above Freya+."

That must be the dilemma you face about all the Schiit. Affordable Audiophiles gobbled up the Saga Classic, as they will gobble anything b-stock or close-out. For me, a product that is well received, and a proven track record beats a new technology "new and improved" version. And Trust and believe, after any period of time, the most cosmetically perfect piece of Schiit will get scratched, so b-stock is OK for me.

The Saga Classic is a fine piece of equipment, I am not surprised that the $400 version has not been flying off the shelves while $199 seems to sell well. (Yes, I panic bought "the last one", but the guy from Travago seemed to find 20 more the next day...) (spoiler: it is an evil Jedi-marketing Mindgame which I bought hook, line, and sinker)

I am so well pleased with ModiMB, and my new Modi 3...I really don't get the d/s - "True Multibit" discussion. For $99, the Modi 3 is a better piece of gear (when powered by the clean 5v Wyrd) than the $99 Modi 2. The latest firmware of ModiMB sounded better than anything I have heard, including the six weeks I reviewed the Gungnir MB, and I said at $249 is was NOT $1,000 less quality to own a ModiMB

And if you could improve upon Valhalla 2, it would have to be some real gee-whiz, because I LOVE Valhalla 2. (Momma, don't take my Valhalla away...homage to Paul Simon)

Balanced? to me, that is a real commitment, so I stay with safe, legal and effective RCA SE... but that is just me...

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #49,992 of 150,567
@Jason Stoddard

Regarding the color of the Asgard 3 amp (I'm glad it wasn't a graphite top yet), I really like the all black version and silver nob, because my Modi 3 will be sitting right in the little area on top (just as it does now with my Asgard 2 next to the perf. ventilation) and the new polished silver look the Modi 3 has will contrast great with the all black and silver nob... really quite beautiful once I have it stacked (they both will be sitting on a black glass stand with silver legs I got from Monoprice quite cheap... going to be such a gorgeous thematic setup (silver legs on mini desk table, black glass, silver nob, black amp that will be slightly off black to contrast the black glass, and silver modi 3...--- SO SEXY!). Just checked and my Asgard 3 is moving fast, will be delivered Tuesday it looks like ahead of schedule!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #49,994 of 150,567
I am about ready to give up. I can't find anyone who can give me a solid answer on Aeon Flow Closed Jotumheim vs. Mjolnir vs. potentiality of a Liquid Platinum. I am leaning towards the MJ2 but I will get hosed on shipping fees like mad.
The only thing I can add is the MrSpeakers Ether Flow C + Mjolnir 2 is a great combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back