Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 26, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #49,621 of 150,560
Anyway, this isn't the thread for this; take it to Sound Science.

If you read this thread pretty much no topic is off-topic.... and most of the time we drift back to Schiit on a semi-regular basis.
Cats, Beer, Coffee, bit rates, schiit, coffee, bicycles, music, books, and more, schiit etc.....
Keeps it interesting :):)

I read everything and stick my head up for a comment from time to time. Learn a lot and it's much better than the "newspapers"... YMMV

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #49,623 of 150,560
If you read this thread pretty much no topic is off-topic.... and most of the time we drift back to Schiit on a semi-regular basis.
Cats, Beer, Coffee, bit rates, schiit, coffee, bicycles, music, books, and more, schiit etc.....
Keeps it interesting :):)

I read everything and stick my head up for a comment from time to time. Learn a lot and it's much better than the "newspapers"... YMMV

Oh, I agree. I just know this is one of those subjects that invariably ends in a trainwreck. Anyway, I have no say, it is Jasons thread. I'll refrain from further backseat moderation.

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #49,624 of 150,560
Everytime I would prefer a good CD recording over anything else. I just said higher bit rate CAN be heard.
OK. Now music.
Yesterday I heard a 1960s recording of Deutsche Grammophon, Pierre Fournier performing Cello Suite No1 in G major, from Bach. I was astonished, I really loved the recording and the performance. It is 44.1/16, and I streamed it from my nas. So, I would have some headroom once I bought the CD and a Schiit Disk Spinner. But I didn't miss anything, a big recommendation! (I love Cello Suites)

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #49,627 of 150,560
I'm in kind of a dispute with Constanza. She knows I'll take her to hairdresser on Thursday. Now she pre-hates me until she's been there.

Hahaha... that's awesome. Out wonderful feline friend Cosmo (Ragdoll) feels the same way about the grooming....., "How dare you upset my purrfect hairdoo"

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #49,628 of 150,560
If you're going to spend EK kind of money, and you primarily single dose, you'll be a lot better off with a Monolith from Kafatek. Almost certainly the last grinder you'll ever have to or be tempted to buy. Sort of the Yggy of espresso grinders.

Would be surprised if any coffee aficionado here doesn't already have an account at home-barista.com, a much better venue for this topic of discussion. Now we just need to find a good place for all things feline. Does Cat Fancy have a forum?

If the monolith is the Yggy of burr grinders, what would be the bifrost (or modi even) of burr grinders? I have a 12 year old $90 capresso, that is so dull it's mangling the beans at this point. I appreciate the feedback!
Also, for a full manual espresso machine I have a Rancilio Silvia that is about as old as the grinder. Is this still considered a good unit for the price? (was around $700 at the time, I believe) Please let me know if there is a better unit for approx the same price that people like for a bang for the buck. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #49,629 of 150,560
If the monolith is the Yggy of burr grinders, what would be the bifrost (or modi even) of burr grinders? I have a 12 year old $90 capresso, that is so dull it's mangling the beans at this point. I appreciate the feedback!
Also, for a full manual espresso machine I have a Rancilio Silvia that is about as old as the grinder. Is this still considered a good unit for the price? (was around $700 at the time, I believe) Please let me know if there is a better unit for approx the same price that people like for a bang for the buck. Thanks again.
I have a kinu, look into them. Do you need automatic? If a manual is ok, you can get a kinu or lido for around 300-350, and it will compete with a lot of the high end stuff. Nothing beats the monolith, though for me, not making espresso, the kinu is probably nearly endgame.

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #49,630 of 150,560

Well, my best advice would be for you to inhabit home-barista.com for a while and do some research. You have lots of choices.

That said, I suppose Yggy : Monolith = Modi : Baratza Sette = Bifrost : Niche Zero.

I'm less conversant with all the machine choices out there, especially pump machines -- I'm a lever guy -- assuming that's what you're looking for. The Sylvia is pretty much considered, if not obsolete, at least surpassed by many other machines, and no longer of so much interest as it used to be. The Breville double boiler that my cousin likes is over your $700 price point, so would suggest you ask for some recommendations here. Hint: don't get some Frankenstein machine that includes a grinder; a bad mistake waiting to happen, preferably for someone else.

EDIT: Saw someone recommend a Kinu. A good choice if you can tolerate a manual machine as your exclusive grinder (relatively few people do, though).

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #49,631 of 150,560
Hey all,

Looks like our new releases will be pushed to next week. I was a bit too optimistic--hell, we won't even have photos until tomorrow. I really hate releasing things at the end of the week, because our support staff has to field 10000 questions without being able to contact tech and shipping staff.

So...next week it is. Sorry for the delay!

All the best,
Jason

Hi, Jason, Would you have any news?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #49,633 of 150,560
Hi, Jason, Would you have any news?

Not yet. I expect if we can make this week, it'll be midweek. Just doing some additional testing--one product is fairly complex (and different) and we don't want to ship you something that doesn't work right.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 26, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #49,635 of 150,560
Exciting times! I remember when the Jotunheim was announced. Perfect for what I needed. And it still delivers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back