Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 25, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #49,591 of 151,548
Time for an upgrade of your RAID device then.
Running out of time with only few months support left.
I rest my case.

If anyone is looking for a used NAS, I have a couple of ReadyNAS NV+ and a QNAP for sale. Just upgrading. And then the big 48Tb Dell 710 will go too. PM me if you have any interest.

Cheers

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #49,592 of 151,548
....something something... making a silk purse out of a sow's ear... something something... throwing pearls before swine... something something. And, @GearMe , I am NOT aiming that barb at you. Cool? :ksc75smile:

Ha! No worries...got pretty thick skin even if you were!

The question is what really is the silk/sow's ear, pearls, etc? :wink:

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #49,593 of 151,548
Yes...but if push comes to shove...would rather listen to a Schiity master/Low rez cut of a favorite song on a BoomBox than uninspiring performances on meticulously recorded/mixed/mastered music files OR fancy bit-rate music files :wink:

Couldn't agree more.

Or to sum it up in one word: Chesky. :slight_smile:

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #49,594 of 151,548
Very funny how people don't grasp the influence of filtering on sound quality.
It is why upsampling was invented in the original 1980's CD players and getting around influences of filtering on the sound quality that still holds ground.

YES it is possible to hear the difference on good equipment and speakers/headphones!

You changed the topic. The original post was about transmission, comparing music streaming sources.

No, there is no point to transfer or backup music in any format beyond 16/44.1, there is no musical information there that human can hear. Yes, it makes sense to up-sample the 16/44 to 32/88 between CD and DAC to get around filtering as you described. You do this upsampling locally in your music system without adding any new information to the source. I hope the difference is understood.

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #49,595 of 151,548
Didn't Jason sat Sol was in production??? It has to be Sol and possibly an upgraded phono pre. Isn't mani an affordable version of a better tube phono pre that Baldr had designed?

I can't remember a post from Jason or Baldr giving any hint about it, but the other day I was thinking about Sol and to me it sounds pretty logical to take Sol as the perfect moment to introduce a Mani+ :)

Aug 25, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #49,596 of 151,548
You changed the topic. The original post was about transmission, comparing music streaming sources.

No, there is no point to transfer or backup music in any format beyond 16/44.1, there is no musical information there that human can hear. Yes, it makes sense to up-sample the 16/44 to 32/88 between CD and DAC to get around filtering as you described. You do this upsampling locally in your music system without adding any new information to the source. I hope the difference is understood.
I beg to diiffer: Yes there is definately a difference between a 24/96 and a 16/44.1 sample rare and the transmission rates are also that high to get around filtering artifacts.
Yes it is possible to hear beyond the 16bits depht and the human system senses frequencies beyond 20 kHz as well. Ever listened to a high end analogue recording on record or master tape? They go well beyond 20kHz and this can be noticed.

By the way this is the Schiit thread and this is off topic indeed.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #49,597 of 151,548
I beg to diiffer: Yes there is definately a difference between a 24/96 and a 16/44.1 sample rare and the transmission rates are also that high to get around filtering artifacts.
Yes it is possible to hear beyond the 16bits depht and the human system senses frequencies beyond 20 kHz as well. Ever listened to a high end analogue recording on record or master tape? They go well beyond 20kHz and this can be noticed.

By the way this is the Schiit thread and this is off topic indeed.

Ok, offtopic. I will not say anything except this link: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html . It explains everything with math.

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #49,599 of 151,548
No, there is no point to transfer or backup music in any format beyond 16/44.1

I'm a little confused. "Don't backup beyond 16/44.1" but then you say:

Yes, it makes sense to up-sample the 16/44 to 32/88 between CD and DAC to get around filtering as you described. You do this upsampling locally in your music system without adding any new information to the source. I hope the difference is understood.

So what's the difference between "upsampling locally" and upsampling the CD rip? The one thing I do understand is that upsampling the rip doesn't add any new information to the source.

Based on what you're saying, though, it seems that if I upsample the CD rip it will present the DAC with a 96/24 (or 88/32, whatever) file that would require less/no filtering. Wouldn't my DAC (Modi Multibit) "prefer" a 96/24 rip vs. 44/16? An added bonus would be requiring less of the hardware/software of the device serving up the files. No real-time encoding required. My point is that it wouldn't seem to matter where the upsampling takes place.

I've got a massive amount of hard drive space available so the increased file size isn't a concern.

I'm not trying to bait an argument, I just have a massive knowledge gap in this area.

Aug 25, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #49,602 of 151,548
Yes, please. Let's get this thread back on track with Cat pics and Coffee talk. :smirk:

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #49,603 of 151,548
I'm a little confused. "Don't backup beyond 16/44.1" but then you say:

So what's the difference between "upsampling locally" and upsampling the CD rip? The one thing I do understand is that upsampling the rip doesn't add any new information to the source.

Based on what you're saying, though, it seems that if I upsample the CD rip it will present the DAC with a 96/24 (or 88/32, whatever) file that would require less/no filtering. Wouldn't my DAC (Modi Multibit) "prefer" a 96/24 rip vs. 44/16? An added bonus would be requiring less of the hardware/software of the device serving up the files. No real-time encoding required. My point is that it wouldn't seem to matter where the upsampling takes place.

I've got a massive amount of hard drive space available so the increased file size isn't a concern.

I'm not trying to bait an argument, I just have a massive knowledge gap in this area.

The Modi Multibit is a 16 bit DAC. It can play higher, but it rounds off or truncates anything beyond 16 bits.

Aug 25, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #49,605 of 151,548
@Smithington

Good question. I would say I'm making progress. I made a variety of assumptions about espresso when I had the Breville smart grinder pro that were predicated on that grinder's inferior ability. First, I assumed you needed more espresso grounds in the portafilter than in fact you do — I got up to 23g and above, with some of the staler beans. I also assumed you needed to cut off shots at 30g in the cup.

With EK, I first needed to calibrate it to a 0 point that was in fact the 0 point of the burrs—just a hair from touching. Previously I ground far too coarsely and, surprise of surprises, the resistance was nowhere near sufficient, and my espresso machine registered 5 bars of pressure. After calibrating, I took the grind down to .5, and the 22g at that fineness choked the BDB. I went down to 21, 20.5, and now 20.3, and have taken the grind up from .75 to .9 and the grind is still causing the BDB a bit of constipation in the first phase of the shot. I think I will hold the grind where it is, but dose down to 19.5 and see if we get a shot that's better.

Certainly, the dosing tool I got (see Mike's thread) is helping get a very good grind distribution within the portafilter.

With respect to shot volume, I found with smart grinder that anything past 30 or 33 grams became astringent very quickly. However, with EK, I have found that longer shots are much more palatable. I had 40g this morning, and will experiment with 45 and 50g in the future.

Although EK43 is an excessive purchase for most people, the niche zero sells for $613 in the US (though this number jumps around, albeit slightly), and people have said it's 90-95% as good—a lot smaller, a lot easier to work with, a lot more forgiving, a lot quieter, and just a more rational home barista purchase.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/niche-zero-the-best-conical-burr-coffee-grinder#/

I still need to align (or have aligned) my EK43 burrs, as I'm quite sure they're out of alignment, and will produce even finer espresso when they are aligned. I'm also still frustrated by phantom chirping - the machine's tendency to make the burrs produce the sound of touching when there is still room to go before they actually hit their 0 point. Apparently the machine is afflicted by a degree of drift, that is, the zero point drifts over time and with use. I had hoped that given my use of the machine is extremely low, this would not happen as readily as in a coffee shop, but alas it appears not.

After grinding for French press yesterday, bringing it back close to the 0 point caused some chirping on the way, and I am of course very sensitive to harming the machine by having the burrs grind against each other, but I pressed on and got the burrs to the proper point, even if it did come with the sensation of grinding ice in my teeth. I will say that with a true 0 point, even the coarsest setting is too fine for French press, so I'm taking the French press and the smart grinder pro to work, and will use them as my "work rig."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back