Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 26, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #49,636 of 151,513
If the monolith is the Yggy of burr grinders, what would be the bifrost (or modi even) of burr grinders? I have a 12 year old $90 capresso, that is so dull it's mangling the beans at this point. I appreciate the feedback!
Also, for a full manual espresso machine I have a Rancilio Silvia that is about as old as the grinder. Is this still considered a good unit for the price? (was around $700 at the time, I believe) Please let me know if there is a better unit for approx the same price that people like for a bang for the buck. Thanks again.

Without sounding like I am of the marketing team, the $27 electric burr grinder I bought works perfectly, providing a fine ground for "6" (cups?--in coffee, a cup isn't 8 ounces, for some odd reason) combined with my >$20 new Mr. Coffee--I am getting a consistently delicious two servings of coffee (which are "3" whatever, each)

I don't begrudge another person if they want a grinder which costs more than $1,000, an Espresso machine handcrafted in Italy, and sipping only from the finest German Bone Crystal cups. That sounds like a Yggy and an MJ2 with Abyss headphones. Enjoy.

As the "Affordable Audiophile" my budget is tight, coffee is a priority, so, therefore, the cheapest, but the best quality for the price guided my choices. By far, the permanent SS filter basket, which cost more half the price of Mr. Coffee--was a worthy investment. So much better than unbleached paper filters, and those gold-tone plastic baskets.
Now, while we are in the off-topic tangent of Coffee, let me assert my belief in the Nyquist-Shannon Theorem as being correct. I own 90% 16/44.1 recordings, which a ModiMB pulls more music from a file than any other DAC I have tested. I own 24/96, 24/176, 24/192 recordings, and I stream Amazon Music Unlimited.
My opinion is that 90% of my library sounds as good as the 10%. I would be reluctant to pay for 24/96, 16/44.1 sounds great to my, on my system.

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #49,637 of 151,513
Aug 26, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #49,639 of 151,513
You people with your fancy burr grinders. This is mine - all hand powered, and priced like Schiit.

hario-skerton-plus-coffee-mill-9_1.jpg

https://www.sweetmarias.com/hario-skerton-hand-crank-coffee-mill.html

ed

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #49,640 of 151,513
This morn I am testing some 6dj8/Ecc88's and 6922's in a Vali 2 but I have to be careful not to leave one laying around. They make a much better cat toy than the 6sn7. My daughter's cat, Finnegan. The first time a pinched waist Amperex hits the floor it may be time for Finnegan's wake. :smile_phones:

This morning I discovered an entire litter of kittens living under the Conex storage box that sits on the edge of our parking lot at work. I want to scoop them up and take them home so badly.......

Then I remember how badly cables/tubes/etc. get along with mischievous kittens and my temptation still doesn't subside at all. :p

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #49,641 of 151,513
This morning I discovered an entire litter of kittens living under the Conex storage box that sits on the edge of our parking lot at work. I want to scoop them up and take them home so badly.......

Then I remember how badly cables/tubes/etc. get along with mischievous kittens and my temptation still doesn't subside at all. :p

I gave up on doing much with cables at home since this kitten is around. These are part of the setup I am going to send Jason for the Sept. 12 tube challenge, it would have been a nightmare to sleeve these at home.

four color rca.jpg I am hoping to give him the ability to switch between four tubes for an A-B-C-D comparison.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #49,644 of 151,513
Beautiful cables, would love some. :chart_with_upwards_trend:

Let me check with the moderators, I believe I am allowed to send you a set no charge. I may have a few parts left over when I am done with this build.

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #49,645 of 151,513
Without sounding like I am of the marketing team, the $27 electric burr grinder I bought works perfectly, providing a fine ground for "6" (cups?--in coffee, a cup isn't 8 ounces, for some odd reason) combined with my >$20 new Mr. Coffee--I am getting a consistently delicious two servings of coffee (which are "3" whatever, each)

I don't begrudge another person if they want a grinder which costs more than $1,000, an Espresso machine handcrafted in Italy, and sipping only from the finest German Bone Crystal cups. That sounds like a Yggy and an MJ2 with Abyss headphones. Enjoy.

As the "Affordable Audiophile" my budget is tight, coffee is a priority, so, therefore, the cheapest, but the best quality for the price guided my choices. By far, the permanent SS filter basket, which cost more half the price of Mr. Coffee--was a worthy investment. So much better than unbleached paper filters, and those gold-tone plastic baskets.
Now, while we are in the off-topic tangent of Coffee, let me assert my belief in the Nyquist-Shannon Theorem as being correct. I own 90% 16/44.1 recordings, which a ModiMB pulls more music from a file than any other DAC I have tested. I own 24/96, 24/176, 24/192 recordings, and I stream Amazon Music Unlimited.
My opinion is that 90% of my library sounds as good as the 10%. I would be reluctant to pay for 24/96, 16/44.1 sounds great to my, on my system.

Clearly you have 'Bronze' ears and an 'Unrefined' palate! :wink:

Can't imagine what the aficionados would do if they saw how I 'measured' the coffee or 'selected' the grind setting (when I don't use pre-ground beans)!

Let's just say there's an element of randomness/whimsy/etc. to it...whether it's cheap or expensive.

And...sometimes...I...even...drink...THIS! :astonished:

images

Had a cup once on a trip then bought a can as 'emergency coffee'; ended up taking it camping and kinda liked it...Hey Mikey!

A little over $3 a can locally; the brick is about $2.50 at Aldi's

upload_2019-8-26_14-51-58.png

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #49,646 of 151,513
Let me check with the moderators, I believe I am allowed to send you a set no charge. I may have a few parts left over when I am done with this build.
If no one grabs those purple cables... I’ll be happy to buy them off you =) I have a thing for purple if it wasn’t apparent yet :wink:

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #49,647 of 151,513
If no one grabs those purple cables... I’ll be happy to buy them off you =) I have a thing for purple if it wasn’t apparent yet :wink:

These are going to Jason but down the road I will get back to you.

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #49,648 of 151,513

That's good. Take them.
Cats can learn as long as the're incentives for them.
Constanza only sits on the Yggdrasil when I forgot to provide a warmer night spot.

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #49,649 of 151,513
Clearly you have 'Bronze' ears and an 'Unrefined' palate! :wink:

Can't imagine what the aficionados would do if they saw how I 'measured' the coffee or 'selected' the grind setting (when I don't use pre-ground beans)!

Let's just say there's an element of randomness/whimsy/etc. to it...whether it's cheap or expensive.

And...sometimes...I...even...drink...THIS! :astonished:

Had a cup once on a trip then bought a can as 'emergency coffee'; ended up taking it camping and kinda liked it...Hey Mikey!

A little over $3 a can locally; the brick is about $2.50 at Aldi's

I have drunk many pots of that. And I currently am getting my custom, single source freshly roasted beans at Walmart, from a obscure almost esoteric roaster, Eight o'Clock, 100% Columbian, complete with the likeness of Senor Juan Valdez logo.
I was told my ears were more Brass than Bronze. and my Palate is quite attuned to situational awareness and logistics. To wit: If the hopper on my $27 Bellegrind is empty, I must venture over one-mile from my cavern home to the Walmart and buy more...and under stress I might add. The $19 Mr. Coffee cost slightly more than a permanent stainless stell basket filter with Micro holes.
I feel so pedestrian, almost vulgar, such a Plebeian...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...pic/plebeian&usg=AOvVaw3jUDwjotFX2_yWAMoQHKFS

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #49,650 of 151,513
Aha.... I have that purple on the AES/EBU Tom made for me.
I'll never sell it. It's beautiful. And........ sounds fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back