Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #49,502 of 149,398
Sure, but my first criteria was half width or smaller, followed by not wanting yet another 17" black box full of air. Sadly the Audiolab 6000 fails on every one of those criteria. It looks like just another generic CD player from whomever. I'm sure it works ok and all, but I don't want that in my house. Thanks anyway for the recommendation...
Check out the Project CD boxes

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #49,505 of 149,398
Hey all,

Looks like our new releases will be pushed to next week. I was a bit too optimistic--hell, we won't even have photos until tomorrow. I really hate releasing things at the end of the week, because our support staff has to field 10000 questions without being able to contact tech and shipping staff.

So...next week it is. Sorry for the delay!

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 21, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #49,509 of 149,398
Hey all,

Looks like our new releases will be pushed to next week. I was a bit too optimistic--hell, we won't even have photos until tomorrow. I really hate releasing things at the end of the week, because our support staff has to field 10000 questions without being able to contact tech and shipping staff.

So...next week it is. Sorry for the delay!

All the best,
Jason

Is that what is known in the Marketing industry as a "Tease" or us in the manufacturing world as "cover for us, we had some unexpected issues"?

Better to have everything perfect than try to meet a artificial deadline!

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #49,511 of 149,398
Sure, but my first criteria was half width or smaller, followed by not wanting yet another 17" black box full of air. Sadly the Audiolab 6000 fails on every one of those criteria. It looks like just another generic CD player from whomever. I'm sure it works ok and all, but I don't want that in my house. Thanks anyway for the recommendation...

I have an Olasonic Nano-CD1 transport.
About as small as it gets. Not much space for air in there.
(It was the only transport I could find that was small enough to share a shelf with my Mac Mini.)
Have had it for about a year & very happy with it so far.
Sure, it's expensive for what it it is, but it's very solidly put together.
Just a thought.

That said, if I was in the market today, I'd wait and see what Schiit cooks up.

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #49,512 of 149,398
I don't think Qobuz is available for you in Canada yet but if/when it is becomes available it's a viable alternative/addition to HDTracks. If you're able to swing the $300/year for the Sublime+ tier you'll be able to purchase downloads at a considerable discount. I've purchased enough downloads from them this year to make the $300 cost worthwhile. They don't have everything that HDTracks has but there's still a good selection. They don't, for example, have the Chesky collection that you purchased. But here's how the cost compares for at least one example: HDTracks on the left, Qobuz on the right.

$300 per year for streaming?

I just laughed so hard I almost injured myself.

I could add at least two CDs (or downloads) to my collection every month at that cost.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #49,513 of 149,398
$300 per year for streaming?

I just laughed so hard I almost injured myself.

I could add at least two CDs (or downloads) to my collection every month at that cost.

That may be, but that $300 gives you a discount on buying the digital copies, even hi rez files above CD quality. Roy G Biv states they bought enough digital albums that the total discounts were above $300. I probably* spend around $1000 per year on vinyl. If I were to spend that on digital downloads instead,and if that discount given for $300 subscription is 40%**, then my normal $1000 becomes $600. $600+$300 for the subscription is still less than I would normally pay and I would have access to the streaming service.

So the value of the $300 subscription is a matter of scale.

*The probably should not be here..
** I picked 40% because it was a reasonable number and easy to work with. In the screenshot that was provided, the normal Hi-Rez version is $84.49 while with the subscription it was $41.99, thus that example is a roughly 50% discount (well... 50.3%) which means if you would normally spend $600 on digital downloads, you would break even.

Edit: I realize the % discount is less when compared to HDTracks, but the discounted price is still less than what you would pay at HDTracks in the example given. The return is lower, but there is still a return.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #49,515 of 149,398
The suckier thing is that, thanks to South Dakota v Wayfair, we’re now going to have to start collecting taxes for most states.

I still cannot believe that it was my state that led the charge on this. All the things we are regressive or sluggish about when it comes to keeping up with the times but somehow they just pounced on this. I suspect what fueled this was some creative brainstorming on ways to find alternative revenue streams for the state government. It's literally impossible (like, seriously) to get new taxes passed here, and SD is one of the few states that does not have a state income tax so they're always revenue starved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back