Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 25, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #47,836 of 150,633
The over-riding message from Jason is that Schiit makes everyone happy, within their product offerings. I don't see them getting into H/T and he speaks highly of Emotiva.
I mentioned a small form factor amplifier for a speaker system and was told that Class-D was not on the drawing board.
OK, but an integrated amplifier for speakers at a lower price point would be a welcome addition--whether is a Baby Rag or adding a volume control to a Vidar-like AB-design, even with just two SE inputs and two speaker posts, single-ended and simple.
But, what do I know, I have a Sprout100 (which is a class-D) that has a DAC, Bluetooth, an HP-amp stage with a Phono stage also built in-- all for $599.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #47,837 of 150,633
The over-riding message from Jason is that Schiit makes everyone happy, within their product offerings. I don't see them getting into H/T and he speaks highly of Emotiva.
I mentioned a small form factor amplifier for a speaker system and was told that Class-D was not on the drawing board.
OK, but an integrated amplifier for speakers at a lower price point would be a welcome addition--whether is a Baby Rag or adding a volume control to a Vidar-like AB-design, even with two inputs and two speaker posts, single-ended and simple.
But, what do I know, I have a Sprout100 (which is a class-D) that has a DAC, Bluetooth, an HP-amp stage with a Phono stage also built in-- all for $599.
Class AB in a relatively small form factor is certainly possible: https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/bang/
It has a pretty sizable power brick, though.

P_20181202_232250_vHDR_On.jpg

Jun 25, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #47,838 of 150,633
A small (let's say Saga-sized) 20wpc Class AB integrated would certainly not be unprecedented.
The 25wpc Perreaux SX25i is another example.
Dimensions were: 216mm x 58mm x 192mm (8.5” x 2.3” x 7.6”)
Only one input though.

Jun 25, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #47,839 of 150,633
Class AB in a relatively small form factor is certainly possible: https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/bang/
It has a pretty sizable power brick, though.

This is small too, uses same chip amps, also power amp only (+ volume controls) with external power.

107-0112-47LABS.jpg

I intended to build a Jot sized, Vidar styled desktop amp using the same LM3886 chips (plus optional top with twin VUs in memory of ORT)

but couldn't be arsed won in the end

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #47,840 of 150,633
FWIW Picked up a Freya S to give it a test run.
It would be considered a downgrade vs.
some that I have had and I can say I am totally thrilled with it. It does what a pre is suppose to without adding any kind sound signature. Running between my Yggy and some Salk Song 3’s I have a crisp , clear
sound. I had a original Freya and did a bunch of tube rolling but never ended up totally satisfied. This Freya S is a keeper.
Well done Schitt.

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #47,842 of 150,633
Do you mind listing some? Good, balanced preamps with a remote at an affordable price appears to be somewhat rare.

I think they are rare. Latest I had was a emotiva Xsp differential that cost twice as much as the Freya s. First one I bought was a Apt Corp in about 1979 with a whole bunch since then.
I just appreciate a outstanding pre that sounds this good at this price.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #47,843 of 150,633
Hearing the rain splashing around was not a matter of audio quality and good audio reproduction?

I admit I am not a car person (I have one solely for transportation and want to move back to a city where I do not need one), but I imagine there are many flavors of car enthusiast. Those that like big powerful pick up trucks, or muscle cars, or sports cars. There probably are new enthusiasts who are big on fuel efficiency. I would argue that people who are big into HT audio can still care about audio and the fidelity of audio reproduction. Their standards and/or goals might be different from mine but that is ok.

Edit: I would view it kind of like how people who maintain and drive a Ford Model T are just as much a car enthusiast as... someone with whatever a modern high performance car which I am not even going to try go pick one because I do not know. They just have different aesthetics and ideals.

Lucky for you...

I've been a car guy in 1 form or another my whole life and it's definitely an addiction I wish I didn't still have. Horsepower is an even more expensive "drug" than audio...

However I did take the $$$ I was going to spend on a car, and dropped it in my home theater/2 channel system, so maybe I'm on the road to recovery. (Not really, I already had 2 toys and didn't "need" a 3rd)

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #47,844 of 150,633
FWIW Picked up a Freya S to give it a test run.
It would be considered a downgrade vs.
some that I have had and I can say I am totally thrilled with it. It does what a pre is suppose to without adding any kind sound signature. Running between my Yggy and some Salk Song 3’s I have a crisp , clear
sound. I had a original Freya and did a bunch of tube rolling but never ended up totally satisfied. This Freya S is a keeper.
Well done Schitt.

I would generally agree with this assessment as well. I thought I remember reading somewhere Jason saying it definitely had a “house sound” but I’m not really hearing that. It is crisp, very clean, and neutral in my system. Yggy sounds great (not a huge surprise) and I also think it makes Modi MB sound better in my 2-channel set up than it did before. It’s a great switcher and volume control.

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #47,845 of 150,633
As an aside: I am glad that I'm not the only one finding the perfect reply after the discussion has finished.
In French: esprit d'escalier, what comes to mind as you slam the front door leaving after a big argument and start down the stairs. At least that's my way of interpreting the phrase, although Wikipedia has a somewhat more genteel and more philosophic origin story.

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #47,846 of 150,633
Finally got my Freya +. Just having a listen, checking it works as expected. Initial impression: I like it A LOT.

Minor thing though, it seems the pot is a bit too tight for the motor to turn it (or something) ; @Jason Stoddard is that user-fixable? Sending it back seems a big deal...

Jun 26, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #47,847 of 150,633
Finally got my Freya +. Just having a listen, checking it works as expected. Initial impression: I like it A LOT.

Minor thing though, it seems the pot is a bit too tight for the motor to turn it (or something) ; @Jason Stoddard is that user-fixable? Sending it back seems a big deal...

If it has a problem, contact us and we'll swap it out.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 26, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #47,848 of 150,633
:ksc75smile:
If it has a problem, contact us and we'll swap it out.
I bought from Sonority NL, and I live in Denmark, that's why I'm asking if I can fix it myself

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #47,849 of 150,633
:ksc75smile:
I bought from Sonority NL, and I live in Denmark, that's why I'm asking if I can fix it myself
I don’t have a Freya + so I can’t comment if they’ve changed the knob that goes on the control vs what I have on the Freya and Jot, but I have run across the knob being pushed back too far on the post and then rubbing against the case when you try to turn it.

You could try taking the knob off and then seeing if the motor can adjust the volume. If that works then just put the knob back on leaving a little more clearance between it and the case.

If the resistance is in the case though, I’d take Jason’s advice and get it swapped out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back