Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 21, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #47,716 of 149,848
Not much pirate stuff happening in my area. But I hope some pirate stuff starts to happen again soon. However Key West passed some liability laws and everyone is staying away from that venue lol. I am hoping Saint Augustine will hold a festival. Arg I hope you have been doing good.

Arg doin' great, Matey. Good luck on St. Augustine. When is national talk like a Pirate day?
I need to practice :)

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #47,718 of 149,848
A quick shout-out to the Schiit support team. I emailed them about my Modi Multibit's power supply being dead (how rare is that?) and got a reply 42 minutes later that a replacement was on the way. Great support from them. Thanks to Laura Z at Schiit support for the great service.

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #47,719 of 149,848
Why not simply let the preamp output be always active (except mute)? It seems to me that speakers with preamp out should be a popular usage. It isn't intuitive that a customer would need to choose speaker+headphone mode instead.

Not sure if this is what you were suggesting...but why not have a separate mute switch for the preamp out? That way the user could decide when they want the output to be active...allowing for more flexibility to satisfy all use cases.

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #47,720 of 149,848
Thanks for putting out this trend. I really wanted a decent quality CD player on the rag 2 stuck to the top plate. If there is a decent quality cd player, nothing gets better than that.

The CD transport is already in production according to @Baldr .Irvana just had to finish some programming (and that was weeks ago).
So I think CD transport and Sol will be in a close race which one will be released first.
This is what @Baldr wrote on May 20th:
"That which cannot be mentioned is just about to go into production.
The transport is awaiting Ivana’s holiday return from Serbia. She needs to finish the auto USB speed switch. Why do we need a USB speed auto switch for a 44.1 K transport??
Mwahaha!"
We're in for more surprises this summer.

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #47,721 of 149,848
If it were my choice to make I would put a toggle switch on the back of the unit that turns the pre-out on or off. Then it isn't tied directly to any other function and there are no "gotchas" to its operation.

There is no right or wrong answer here and there are as many preferences are there are people. That doesn't mean we can't discuss the rationale behind the choice that is and debate the merits of choices that could be.

Jason answered my question directly in saying there is no performance penalty, so the answer for speaker and sub users is to just put their unit into speakers+headphones mode and enjoy.

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #47,722 of 149,848
Not sure if this is what you were suggesting...but why not have a separate mute switch for the preamp out? That way the user could decide when they want the output to be active...allowing for more flexibility to satisfy all use cases.
I was making the following point:

Preamp out is enabled in headphone-only mode.
Preamp out is enabled in headphone+speakers mode.
Preamp out is disabled in speakers-only mode — why not simply enable it here as well?
The mute button on the remote already mutes everything (headphone, speakers, preamp out). That's all I was referring to in my comment. I am not suggesting any change to the mute function.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #47,723 of 149,848
Virtually all IAs and Receivers I've ever owned muted speaker out and preamp out when a HP was plugged in. I'm just in the habit of unplugging HPs when I want to listen to speakers anyway, so I'd likely leave it in HP+SPK and just unplug HPs. Running an outboard amp or sub when listening to HPs seems really strange to me, but I'm a strange duck anyway, so there's that. Muting preamp out for SPK out only is just weird. :confused:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #47,724 of 149,848
running an outboard amp or sub when listening to HPs seems really strange to me.
There's even a product specifically for that market: https://subpac.com/

Subpac_M2X_01-hkBDRSCFx21wJsuG7qxYZXxn8RKfAp0W.jpg

(Image via https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/subpac-m2x)

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #47,726 of 149,848
Well slap my arse and call me Shirley!!! :astonished:

So I guess Rag2 is Schiit's first foray into the Professional studio and/or DJ market. I take it all back, then!! :smirk:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #47,727 of 149,848
The transport is awaiting Ivana’s holiday return from Serbia. She needs to finish the auto USB speed switch. Why do we need a USB speed auto switch for a 44.1 K transport??

Highly unqualified lame-ass guess ...

CD-Ripper functionality??? :thinking:

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #47,729 of 149,848

Users who are viewing this thread

Back