1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. porchwizard
    Maybe they are the ones buying Ragnaroks...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Rensek likes this.
  2. Ripper2860
    That may be the unintended result given the current preamp output situation and the level of angst exhibited by some 2-channel folks. Really just seems like an oversight. I'm surprised it was not brought up and resolved in beta. Or maybe there's some underlying technical reason that escapes me. Nexus?

Edit: Read that it was a design choice based on input from folks that e-mailed wanting sub and HP active at the same time. It would be a real shame if the active community at HF was not asked for feedback prior to the decision on such an impactful change. It may have provided additional insight and a different perspective given that Rag 2 is also geared towards Speaker users. :frowning2:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Rensek likes this.
  3. Rensek
    Yeah Rag 1 was well suited for desk types, being it didn't have a remote and all. No remote on rag 1 was a contributing factor to me going with saga and Vidar (which are excellent). I don't use subs, and am looking towards full range towers that get to a minimum 35hz, so rag 2 continues to be an option for me.

I'm guessing the new features of rag 2 make it more attractive to folks who didn't buy rag 1, hence more and different voices.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Alcophone and bosiemoncrieff like this.
  4. hearditontheX
    How do you know only a specific community was asked for feedback? Maybe that community simply provided input without being asked? If so, then the active community would have had the same opportunity.

liamo likes this.
  5. Balthazar B
    Thanks, @Jason Stoddard! I'll be watching for Schiit to release the Freya+ in a black finish (WAF and all that...).

6. Zer0.p0int.Zer0
    Regarding the Ragnarok 2, I don’t think disabling speaker output while preamp outs are in use is that unusual. A lot of integrated amps behave this way.
    The idea being that you would be sending the preamp output to a separate power amplifier and would want to bypass the power amp section of the integrated.

7. Ripper2860
    Not really sure what you are asking, but...

1. I never said feedback was actively solicited of any other community. Jason stated Schiit had received e-mails requesting the pre-out and HP on simultaneously capability. I assume those e-mails were unsolicited.
    2. As a result of those e-mails (and possibly other unknown considerations) a feature and basic capability was changed (removed) as it relates to the product being replaced.
    3. This active community was not asked for feedback about removing said capability/feature (as far as I know).

Sure, anyone can advocate for a new feature by e-mailing Schiit or posting in the thread, but how can one possibly advocate for keeping a feature/function that we had no idea was going to be removed? :thinking:

** Ultimately it is their product to design and engineer however they choose. Just seems like a missed opportunity to engage the active community here for additional insight on such an impactful change to the original Rag's replacement.

Rattle and Rensek like this.
  8. Ableza
    Schiit produced a design they thought was a correct approach. If it's not correct for your specific use case, move along...

Byronb, RCBinTN and hearditontheX like this.
  9. Ripper2860
    Oh. So I cannot voice an opinion and answer questions directed at me without being told to move along?

I've already moved along product-wise, but that doesn't mean I don't want to offer up my opinion so Schiit can consider it in the future. Whether they choose to accept my thoughts or discard them is up to them, but stifling well meaning and constructive ideas and opinions does not help anyone.

10. Ableza
    Please don't assume I was talking to you, I was not. I mean in general. Schiit has said on many occasions that they build the gear they want to build and if it's not right for a specific user that there are many other options out there in the world. That's the sentiment I was echoing.

Oveja Negra, RCBinTN, liamo and 2 others like this.
  11. Ripper2860
    @Ableza -- Thanks. I was a bit taken aback, but apparently I read way too much into your post.

12. Ableza
    Isn't that what normally happens on teh Webz? :)

Byronb, Odin412, RCBinTN and 2 others like this.
  13. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    You just shattered my whole world.

14. Rensek
    It's a good sentiment, but I would hope the egos, sensitivities, and skin of Schiit and its fans are strong or thick enough to welcome and embrace constructive discussion on the features of Schiit products. Everyone getting on here and saying how awesome their products are doesn't provide honest or useful feedback.

Assuming the company wants to be the best they can be - learn, grow, improve, kaizen, etc, then the comments over the past few days should be welcome. Most of the folks commenting here are owners and fans of Schiit anyway. I'd like to imagine there's room for discussion for all of us. It's not like there has been any ASR esque torchings.

I dunno, maybe this isn't the place for that. Maybe the only purpose of this thread is as a micromarketing Rah Rah Pep Rally on how awesome Schiit is. I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the case. I think and hope its more then that.

15. SDBiotek
    Positive feedback is still feedback, and useful feedback at that. But yeah, Schiit will never 100% meet expectations of everyone here on Head-Fi with any single product. However, it produces quite a range of gear, which fit the range of needs for many folks.

ScubaMan2017, Ripper2860 and Rensek like this.