Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 20, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #47,686 of 150,767
Why would yo think there is a "performance penalty"? Nothing anywhere from Schiit indicates this.
Maybe a bowel performance penalty?
Sitting on a sub while listening to ABBA or BoneyM on your can(s)?
I'm a just simple doctor but I can imagine it.

Jun 20, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #47,687 of 150,767
Maybe a bowel performance penalty?
Sitting on a sub while listening to ABBA or BoneyM on your can(s)?
I'm a just simple doctor but I can imagine it.
It seems to me the behavior you describe might improve bowel performance.

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #47,689 of 150,767
It will, which is for some tight-assed people with their panties in a twist quiet uncomfortable.
As George Clinton once said, "Free Your Mind and your Ass Will Follow"

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #47,690 of 150,767
Why would yo think there is a "performance penalty"? Nothing anywhere from Schiit indicates this.
The point of his post was to understand the rationale behind disabling pre-out in speaker only mode. I agree with him that most customers probably prefer pre-out to be active in speaker mode (e.g. for subwoofers). Why would Schiit disable it for this case?

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #47,691 of 150,767
The point of his post was to understand the rationale behind disabling pre-out in speaker only mode. I agree with him that most customers probably prefer pre-out to be active in speaker mode (e.g. for subwoofers). Why would Schiit disable it for this case?
Probably because it is somehow driven off the headphone circuit, I don't know. But this has nothing to do with any "performance penalty."

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #47,692 of 150,767
There are many ways to integrate a subwoofer into a system, including using line level signals and using speaker level signals. Beware that when you use either method you are limited to whatever bass management is built into your subwoofer amplifier unless your preamp has bass management built in, which none of teh Schiit preamps do. Properly integrating a subwoofer into a 2-channel setup can be challenging, but in my opinion very rewarding no matter what type of music you prefer. It is really not an endeavor for the novice if you want the best results.

I recently bought an old, beat up Audio Pro B2-50 subwoofer to play around with. Needed some cleaning up, and dust blown out of it and I then integrated into my office system running off a Vidar via the speaker/high-level inouts. To get it set up I used a calibrated mic and REW, and then created filters for EqualiserAPO (Windows). You are correct, it took a bit of time, research and appropriate equipment (the mic) and software. The results I am getting now are great.

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #47,693 of 150,767

There's no performance penalty.

Like I said, the only reason we did this is that we had a number of requests on the original Ragnarok to have the preamp outputs live with headphones. We retained this on Ragnarok 2, because you can turn either one on, both on, or all off. Use the mode that serves your needs, and you're set. Maybe it would have been better to have an LED and separately selectable preouts, but that's a lot of modes to step through, or a lot of buttons on the remote. I'm a fan of fewer buttons, and always have been. Anyone who can scare up an old Angstrom 200 remote knows what I'm talking about.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 20, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #47,694 of 150,767
Maybe it would have been better to have an LED and separately selectable preouts, but that's a lot of modes to step through, or a lot of buttons on the remote. I'm a fan of fewer buttons, and always have been. Anyone who can scare up an old Angstrom 200 remote knows what I'm talking about.

This one?

4643150-6699__54360.1510721020.jpg

(Via https://tmraudio.com/product/angstrom-200-home-entertainment-director-digital-preamp-processor-dac)

That's a much more compact remote than most that I have.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #47,695 of 150,767
Bingo.

Argh, if we didn't need an HDMI de-embedder, it would be tempting to do an all analog surround processor. "The only processor where you won't have to worry about future standards changes...ever."

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 20, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #47,696 of 150,767

Does not give me nightmares. :) Then again, I like my Logitech Harmony 665 for the most part. Less important than the number of buttons is the shape of them and their layout. If you can blindly find the right button to push, you'll memorize the important ones over time and it's almost like the other buttons aren't even there.

Argh, if we didn't need an HDMI de-embedder, it would be tempting to do an all analog surround processor. "The only processor where you won't have to worry about future standards changes...ever."
I mean, there's this thing... http://www.ambery.com/hdlp7151suau.html :)
Personally, I'd prefer something that converts HDMI to, say, eight channels of digital audio, and a multi-channel multibit DAC from you guys that handles that.

Jun 20, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #47,697 of 150,767
Personally, I'd prefer something that converts HDMI to, say, eight channels of digital audio, and a multi-channel multibit DAC from you guys that handles that.
Designing something like that which would comply with HDCP would likely be difficult, and expensive. You could design a multichannel multibit DAC with HDMI input, just not one that also breaks out the digital audio separately. If I recall the standard correctly that is. It's been a while since I dug into it.

Jun 20, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #47,698 of 150,767
Designing something like that which would comply with HDCP would likely be difficult, and expensive. You could design a multichannel multibit DAC with HDMI input, just not one that also breaks out the digital audio separately. If I recall the standard correctly that is. It's been a while since I dug into it.
Sorry, I meant some cheap Chinese made device (that may or may not be compliant) to get the annoying HDMI part out of the way (and is easily replaceable when the next version comes around), and then a "timeless" Schiit device that just accepts > 2 digital audio channels and can do clever things with them.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #47,699 of 150,767
Sorry, I meant some cheap Chinese made device (that may or may not be compliant) to get the annoying HDMI part out of the way (and is easily replaceable when the next version comes around), and then a "timeless" Schiit device that just accepts > 2 digital audio channels and can do clever things with them.
:) Friends don't let friends use cheap Chinese devices designed to cheat copyright protection. :)

Modis are cheap enough you could stack up four of them for your 8-channel setup...

Jun 20, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #47,700 of 150,767
Modis are cheap enough you could stack up four of them for your 8-channel setup...
Yeah, I've thought about that a few times for bi-amping. I considered using a miniDSP nanoDIGI 2x8 as a digital crossover (resulting in four or more digital channels), then multiple DACs (two or more) into multiple power amps (two stereo amps or four mono blocks, or more) into speakers. But I'm wondering whether the timing is consistent between the DACs. Presumably they are slaved to the clock in the nanoDIGI (or in the original scenario, the cheap HDMI > 8x S/PDIF converter), but I'm not sure whether that's good enough. A multi-channel DAC could keep the channels in sync with a shared clock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back