1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    It will, which is for some tight-assed people with their panties in a twist quiet uncomfortable.

2. Ableza
    As George Clinton once said, "Free Your Mind and your Ass Will Follow"

3. rkw
    The point of his post was to understand the rationale behind disabling pre-out in speaker only mode. I agree with him that most customers probably prefer pre-out to be active in speaker mode (e.g. for subwoofers). Why would Schiit disable it for this case?

Xcalibur255 and QueYo like this.
  4. Ableza
    Probably because it is somehow driven off the headphone circuit, I don't know. But this has nothing to do with any "performance penalty."

5. Timster
    I recently bought an old, beat up Audio Pro B2-50 subwoofer to play around with. Needed some cleaning up, and dust blown out of it and I then integrated into my office system running off a Vidar via the speaker/high-level inouts. To get it set up I used a calibrated mic and REW, and then created filters for EqualiserAPO (Windows). You are correct, it took a bit of time, research and appropriate equipment (the mic) and software. The results I am getting now are great.

RCBinTN and Ableza like this.
  6. Jason Stoddard
    There's no performance penalty.

Like I said, the only reason we did this is that we had a number of requests on the original Ragnarok to have the preamp outputs live with headphones. We retained this on Ragnarok 2, because you can turn either one on, both on, or all off. Use the mode that serves your needs, and you're set. Maybe it would have been better to have an LED and separately selectable preouts, but that's a lot of modes to step through, or a lot of buttons on the remote. I'm a fan of fewer buttons, and always have been. Anyone who can scare up an old Angstrom 200 remote knows what I'm talking about.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  7. Alcophone
    This one?

4643150-6699__54360.1510721020.jpg

(Via https://tmraudio.com/product/angstrom-200-home-entertainment-director-digital-preamp-processor-dac)

That's a much more compact remote than most that I have.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Ableza likes this.
  8. Jason Stoddard
    Bingo.

Argh, if we didn't need an HDMI de-embedder, it would be tempting to do an all analog surround processor. "The only processor where you won't have to worry about future standards changes...ever."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  9. Alcophone
    Does not give me nightmares. :) Then again, I like my Logitech Harmony 665 for the most part. Less important than the number of buttons is the shape of them and their layout. If you can blindly find the right button to push, you'll memorize the important ones over time and it's almost like the other buttons aren't even there.

I mean, there's this thing... http://www.ambery.com/hdlp7151suau.html :)
    Personally, I'd prefer something that converts HDMI to, say, eight channels of digital audio, and a multi-channel multibit DAC from you guys that handles that.

10. Ableza
    Designing something like that which would comply with HDCP would likely be difficult, and expensive. You could design a multichannel multibit DAC with HDMI input, just not one that also breaks out the digital audio separately. If I recall the standard correctly that is. It's been a while since I dug into it.

11. Alcophone
    Sorry, I meant some cheap Chinese made device (that may or may not be compliant) to get the annoying HDMI part out of the way (and is easily replaceable when the next version comes around), and then a "timeless" Schiit device that just accepts > 2 digital audio channels and can do clever things with them.

12. Ableza
    :) Friends don't let friends use cheap Chinese devices designed to cheat copyright protection. :)

Modis are cheap enough you could stack up four of them for your 8-channel setup...

ScubaMan2017, thebmc and Alcophone like this.
  13. Alcophone
    Yeah, I've thought about that a few times for bi-amping. I considered using a miniDSP nanoDIGI 2x8 as a digital crossover (resulting in four or more digital channels), then multiple DACs (two or more) into multiple power amps (two stereo amps or four mono blocks, or more) into speakers. But I'm wondering whether the timing is consistent between the DACs. Presumably they are slaved to the clock in the nanoDIGI (or in the original scenario, the cheap HDMI > 8x S/PDIF converter), but I'm not sure whether that's good enough. A multi-channel DAC could keep the channels in sync with a shared clock.

liamo, sam6550a, Baldr and 1 other person like this.
  14. golfbravobravo
    I now have a system that I'm happy with (well for now :) ). The Freya+ is settling in well and is a permanent addition (so my brand new Freya will be for sale soon).

At the Canjam in Charlotte I met a couple of folks form the Research Triangle area to whom I promised an audition 'in situ', and carefully made a note of their names and contact info. Of course I have "misplaced" the note I wrote, so this is by way of a re-invite to come and sample Roon, Freya+, Vidar and Double Impacts. I know (I think???0 that Chris was a teacher and another person worked for the credit union in NC.

PM me if you are still interested!

Cheers

Grsham

RCBinTN and hearditontheX like this.
  15. Ableza
    Yes your concern is valid, although it would be fun to try...

Alcophone likes this.