Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 8, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #47,386 of 154,125
Just got my Vidar back from Schiit. The technician notes show that they updated the firmware, but it's unclear what else they may have done, if anything. Of course, it shows as passing all the tests. I have to say I was a bit nervous that the hum would be the same, but I was excited just to have my Vidar back. Got it plugged in as soon as I could and...

No hum! That made me very happy. Gotta give them props for standing behind their products. I mean, I know most companies will, but still, the 5 year warranty on products that cost well under a grand is generous in my opinion. This repair didn't cost me a penny (I had the fortune of being able to drop it off at the Schiitr, otherwise I would have been responsible for shipping to them).

Anyways, nervosa gone, I have a backlog of all the music I discovered this month while my Vidar was gone that I have to listen to again on my system. When that's done I'll get back to finding a new tube for my Saga. That should give me enough to do until Schiit releases a new Bifrost :)

*I have no actual knowledge of any new Schiit products, I just continue to hope.

Jun 8, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #47,387 of 154,125
It looks like many (if not all) Belgians are geniuses (although not all may be of the "stable" variant, which is extremely rare, and in general very humble), which might be a revelation to many of us arrogant and loud Dutchies :ksc75smile:

I am actually half Belgian and half Dutch, so I've got it all. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #47,388 of 154,125
Issues with making improvements that change structure are making sure that they are backwards compatible and getting manufacturers to adopt the new method. Of course, if it is backwards compatible, they will not need to adapt, and thus you spent time developing something with limited effect. If you make it not backwards compatible, you annoy a lot of customers unless they get adapters (which would still annoy them), and there probably would still be resistance from manufactures to adopt your new methods.

I would generally agree with this and think it holds true in most cases, but tube audio is already kind of rarified air that not just anybody goes off to pursue in the first place. I think people who already gravitate towards this stuff in the first place would be willing to adopt a new socket design and new tube designs if it truly sounded better and was more reliable.

Basically I'm looking at it from an enthusiast point of view as opposed to a mainstream customer.

Of course what I really want is for things like Nelson Pass's SIT designs to really pick up steam. This is the eat your cake and have it too scenario that seems to be so hard to achieve in this hobby: ultimate performance with the simplicity and reliability of a mainstream product. Tubes stopped being "fun" for me years ago. I stick with them because there is no solid state design I know of that can give me the sound tubes can offer. If one came along I'd gladly walk away from the myriad problems that come along for the ride in the world of tubes.

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #47,389 of 154,125
I love the Netherlands, and amongst my Dutch friends, I have neither experienced arrogance or loudness (Except when the Orange is playing soccer).:blush:
Or distance skating. My God, they are raucous...

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #47,390 of 154,125
I would generally agree with this and think it holds true in most cases, but tube audio is already kind of rarified air that not just anybody goes off to pursue in the first place. I think people who already gravitate towards this stuff in the first place would be willing to adopt a new socket design and new tube designs if it truly sounded better and was more reliable.

Basically I'm looking at it from an enthusiast point of view as opposed to a mainstream customer.

Of course what I really want is for things like Nelson Pass's SIT designs to really pick up steam. This is the eat your cake and have it too scenario that seems to be so hard to achieve in this hobby: ultimate performance with the simplicity and reliability of a mainstream product. Tubes stopped being "fun" for me years ago. I stick with them because there is no solid state design I know of that can give me the sound tubes can offer. If one came along I'd gladly walk away from the myriad problems that come along for the ride in the world of tubes.

Very well said. I am just happy the Russians and Chinese are still making some tubes or we would see fewer and fewer tube type audio devices. It is bad enough to face parts shortages and tariffs when you manufacture a product. It is getting harder and harder to find specific tubes made in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Perhaps vinyl records are similar. There are more and more new releases of old albums available now and it makes sense to build a Sol. If all we had were the hopes of finding a pristine recording of Sgt Peppers or such, then how many would venture down that road?

Jun 9, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #47,391 of 154,125
I am actually half Belgian and half Dutch, so I've got it all. :thumbsup:

And I must apologize for the posts I have written about the topics we have been discussing.
Now I know you are half-Dutch, I understand you better. I will try to do better, not being such a smart ass.

Welcome to Head-Fi. You indeed have insights worthy of this group, and I am sorry to have implied you did not.
Mia Culpa.

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #47,393 of 154,125
Jun 10, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #47,394 of 154,125
Jun 10, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #47,397 of 154,125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back