1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Xcalibur255
    I would generally agree with this and think it holds true in most cases, but tube audio is already kind of rarified air that not just anybody goes off to pursue in the first place. I think people who already gravitate towards this stuff in the first place would be willing to adopt a new socket design and new tube designs if it truly sounded better and was more reliable.

Basically I'm looking at it from an enthusiast point of view as opposed to a mainstream customer.

Of course what I really want is for things like Nelson Pass's SIT designs to really pick up steam. This is the eat your cake and have it too scenario that seems to be so hard to achieve in this hobby: ultimate performance with the simplicity and reliability of a mainstream product. Tubes stopped being "fun" for me years ago. I stick with them because there is no solid state design I know of that can give me the sound tubes can offer. If one came along I'd gladly walk away from the myriad problems that come along for the ride in the world of tubes.

2. JamminVMI
    Or distance skating. My God, they are raucous...

EricDH likes this.
  3. Paladin79
    Very well said. I am just happy the Russians and Chinese are still making some tubes or we would see fewer and fewer tube type audio devices. It is bad enough to face parts shortages and tariffs when you manufacture a product. It is getting harder and harder to find specific tubes made in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Perhaps vinyl records are similar. There are more and more new releases of old albums available now and it makes sense to build a Sol. If all we had were the hopes of finding a pristine recording of Sgt Peppers or such, then how many would venture down that road?

4. Robert Padgett
    And I must apologize for the posts I have written about the topics we have been discussing.
    Now I know you are half-Dutch, I understand you better. I will try to do better, not being such a smart ass.

Welcome to Head-Fi. You indeed have insights worthy of this group, and I am sorry to have implied you did not.
    Mia Culpa.

US Blues and Old Deaf Donkey like this.
  5. QueYo
    I just replaced the cheap tubes that came with my Freya. I applaud the decision to stop using them. It's a nice piece of equipment and deserves better.

sam6550a likes this.
  6. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
  7. hearditontheX
    Its obvious that Costanza had no say in that purchase.

8. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Indeed it will take some weeks to hash that out.

EricDH and US Blues like this.
  9. hearditontheX
    One could remove the offending letters or replace them with something more FC*.

*Feline Correct.

RCBinTN likes this.
  10. RCBinTN
    Pictures or it didn't happen :)

11. claybomb
    Where is rag 2!?

12. hearditontheX
    Yup, question of the day.

Rensek likes this.
  13. Rensek
    I could use a good read with my morning coffee.

jfoxvol likes this.
  14. belgiangenius
    No problem, Robert. I appreciate that. Yes, my culture tends to be direct and blunt.

Robert Padgett likes this.
  15. EricDH
    Yep. We ourselves consider it honest and direct. Others often find us rude. For over a year I was department head in both our Dutch and English offices. And in the English office they found me "loud". Both my way of expressing and my shirts, apparently. But yeah, over there all of them wore grey, and if they were in a really wild mood a light blue shirt or so.....

Robert Padgett likes this.