Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 10, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #47,416 of 150,867
This is going nowhere.
Let's get back to coffee.

Good plan Pietro.

Ok, here's a point to discuss which is relevant on two levels, possibly 3. Civet cat coffee, aka cat schiit coffee.

I'm often asked my thoughts on this when people discover I like coffee a lot. I've never tried it. Never will pay for it. Not because if the cost, but because of the ethics around it, and bs marketing (i.e. the reality of how the cats get the coffee etc.).

Anyone tried it? Was it good? Do you think expectation bias come into your opinion?!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #47,417 of 150,867
Thank you for the update. Looking forward to it. Any thoughts on what would be a better upgrade for someone who has a Ragnarok 1, a Ragnarok 2 or adding two Aegirs monoblocked with the Ragnarok 1?
The easiest way is to buy 2 Aegirs and Ragnarok 2 and then try them all. You can trial and send back what you don’t want. Listening in your own system is the best method.

Jun 10, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #47,418 of 150,867
Good plan Pietro.

Ok, here's a point to discuss which is relevant on two levels, possibly 3. Civet cat coffee, aka cat schiit coffee.

I'm often asked my thoughts on this when people discover I like coffee a lot. I've never tried it. Never will pay for it. Not because if the cost, but because of the ethics around it, and bs marketing (i.e. the reality of how the cats get the coffee etc.).

Anyone tried it? Was it good? Do you think expectation bias come into your opinion?!

So I had to look that up. Hard Pass. No thanks.

From Wikipedia.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak

"The traditional method of collecting feces from wild civets has given way to intensive farming methods in which civets in battery cage systems are force-fed the cherries. This method of production has raised ethical concerns about the treatment of civets due to "horrific conditions" including isolation, poor diet, small cages and a high mortality rate.[2][3][4]"

Jun 10, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #47,419 of 150,867
Good plan Pietro.

I had quite the discussion about it with Constanza.
Offered her extra care and snookels if she got chewing my coffee beans.
The idea never got her exited so that was the end of it.

Jun 10, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #47,423 of 150,867
I had quite the discussion about it with Constanza.
Offered her extra care and snookels if she got chewing my coffee beans.
The idea never got her exited so that was the end of it.

snookels?

JC

Jun 10, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #47,425 of 150,867
I enjoyed the conversations about hot dogs.
I recently got an Asgard 2, and I must say it is spectacular. A little bigger than my Mani but I have it now on my desk and haven't looked back.
I’ve mused about picking up a B-stock A2, to replace my Magni3. 0% need. My Valhalla2 is an awesome toy (Is its SQ or output into HD650 different from an Asgard? No idea). And if I want to mess around with tubes, I fire up my tricked out Vali-2.

My guts telling me the sound from an Asgard is = to my VH2. My next frivolous can purchase will be a planar magnetic of some kind. Perhaps the benefits of an Asgard will be lost on me.....?..... :ksc75smile: Magni3 & Vali2 should be enough to drive Audeze or HiFiMan or Fostex (<$800 CDN). No?

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #47,426 of 150,867
So I had to look that up. Hard Pass. No thanks.

From Wikipedia.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak

"The traditional method of collecting feces from wild civets has given way to intensive farming methods in which civets in battery cage systems are force-fed the cherries. This method of production has raised ethical concerns about the treatment of civets due to "horrific conditions" including isolation, poor diet, small cages and a high mortality rate.[2][3][4]"
Truly coffee that is shiit. Oh hell no, especially with the unethical treatment of the animals.

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #47,427 of 150,867
I’ve mused about picking up a B-stock A2, to replace my Magni3. 0% need. My Valhalla2 is an awesome toy (Is its SQ or output into HD650 different from an Asgard? No idea). And if I want to mess around with tubes, I fire up my tricked out Vali-2.

My guts telling me the sound from an Asgard is = to my VH2. My next frivolous can purchase will be a planar magnetic of some kind. Perhaps the benefits of an Asgard will be lost on me.....?..... :ksc75smile: Magni3 & Vali2 should be enough to drive Audeze or HiFiMan or Fostex (<$800 CDN). No?

I've owned the Asgard 2 and now own the Magni 3. The Magni beats it, IMO. (And I prefer the Magni sound to the Jotunheim, but that's another story...)

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #47,428 of 150,867
Impossible to say without knowing the system. And your individual preferences. And being you.

(Basically, never trust anyone who tells you what you need with supreme confidence and no hesitation. Especially if it costs more. At least IMO. YMMV.)

Understand. Could have asked that question much better. To be a little clearer I am just gathering information to make a decision not have it made for me. I am currently using a pair of Spatial M3 Triode Masters which are 12 ohms and 93 db efficient. So I am not really after wattage as much as I am after quality of the power. That said I may use the amp in the future with other speakers like the Magnepan 1.7i or 0.7.

+ You mentioned that the DePaiva Audioworks amp slaughtered the Ragnarok 1 but the Aegir and Freya got a lot closer. Would the DePaivia also slaughter the Ragnarok 2? And does that mean that two Aegirs would have come even closer to the Depaiva? Not sure because two Aegirs do not have a 4 ohm rating so perhaps not as good a match for the Magnepan 1.7. At least Ragnarok 2 has a 4 ohm rating and designed for difficult loads vs Ragnarok 1.
+ Also you mentioned that the Ragnarok 2 is probably a richer sounding amp than the Aegir. I was going to get two Aegirs but based on those comments I am wondering if I would be better off with the Ragnarok 2 especially for my current speakers. And based on the the Ragarok 2 being more of a speaker amp and being able to handle more difficult loads than the Ragnarok 1, I wonder if the Ragnarok 2 would also be better with a pair of Maggie 1.7i at 4 ohms since two Aegirs in monoblock do not have a 4 ohm rating.
+ And finally the Ragnarok 1 may not be a good enough preamp to do the Aegir's justice. If that were the case then Ragnarok 2 would be the choice as I do not want to split my headphone and speaker systems due to having a Yggrasil and TT that I want to use for both with no extra switches or contacts.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #47,429 of 150,867
The easiest way is to buy 2 Aegirs and Ragnarok 2 and then try them all. You can trial and send back what you don’t want. Listening in your own system is the best method.

Agree. However before I do that I want to get a little closer to the pin. The 5% restocking fee and shipping cost to return would be at least $150. Want to decide which one to try first. Probably not going to buy them all at the same time. But would be the best way as you say. Who knows if I end up with enough money maybe I will. And while I would need to dish out another $150 to return the least favored it may be worth it. Would also need to buy another set of balanced interconnects if I buy both or try Aegirs first.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #47,430 of 150,867

If you're going to use planar magnetic phones with the Asgard 2 make sure that you select phones with fairly high sensitivity. I use HE400S with my Asgard 2 on high gain and find that they are a good match. And < Cdn 800 (much less).

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back