Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 11, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #47,446 of 150,700
Jun 11, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #47,449 of 150,700
+1 on HE400S, BTW. They are Hifiman and are not as 'fragile' as some....... {{{{snip}......earlier/other models. .......{{{snip}}}......BTW -- traded my Sundaras for Anandas. Love my Anandas, but must say -- Sundaras are darn close at almost 1/2 the price!!! EXCELLENT value at $500 -- SUPER EXCELLENT at $350 (if you catch it on sale)........{{{{snip}}}}}.....I own HE400S and Ananda and owned Sundara. All are fantastic!! Also -- Ananda sounds great on VH2. :wink:

Alrighty, so my next toy could be a HiFiMan Sundara... or, Anandas... or, HE400S.

It was 0% need for me too, but it does feel like an upgrade from the magni for me...... {{{snip}}}....Dont think the beyerdynamic DT 880 (600 ohm) would be a good match?
Thanks for the musing, @Gazny. I fired up amazon dot ca, and the 600 ohm DT800 is in my price range. While it's not planar magnetic, it is semi-closed back and could give my Sony MDR7510 cans a rest (I can crank up my HD6xx at my listening nook... resulting in a hairy eyeball from my spouse, whose decompressing on the nearby sofa [we're both high school teachers... she needs silence... I need Disturbed tracks], thus, closed-back headphones for a happy wife & life,eh).
Yes, HiFiMan HE400S. ......{{{{snip}.......I haven't had any problems with them. I have no idea about the repair but I'm sure that Google would be your friend here.........{{{snip}}}.... And, powered by an Asgard 2 with the gain set to high (ie, no overall negative feedback), they sound very good......{{{{snip}}}....JC
Thanks for your musing, @JohnnyCanuck . I checked out HiFiMan on the forums' comments. Their comments were glaringly varied (especially on drop dot com), and it appears the company's trying to regain consumer trust! I know HiFiMan's a big company; however, they should have looked at some of the chapters in this thread! Ah well. I'm (luckily) on the waiting list for a Sundara trial and am willing to form my own opinion.
I've never heard them so I have no comment......{{{snip}}}...JC
That's fair.
Meant to say 600 ohm headphones wouldnt be a good match
Um, huh? The 600 Ohm Beyerdynamic ("Beyers") would be an imperfect match for an Asgard2, but a better fit for my toy -- VH2. Did I grok it?
Asgard 2 does 190 mw into 600 ohm, the beyerdynamics are very efficient. Seems like it's probably a good match.
What I'm learning: RTFM and look at the posted amplifier specifications & match them up with the headphone's specifications that I'm interested in. Power ratings at different headphone resistance settings. Okay, got it. :ksc75smile: BTW, when I teach my gr9 electricity unit next year, I've discovered a great & useful case study (match up R, V, P-values between amp-outputs and headphones). Yippee!!

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #47,450 of 150,700
I've been reading up on input impedance and output impedance lately.

I see both Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 are 100k ohm input impedance. Is it a coincidence that they are both class A? I think not, but I'm not entirely sure why.

Does the high input impedance allow both units to take more of the 2v signal without overdriving the amp?

I started all this because I'm trying to determine what kind of headphone or even power amp will get more tube sound from my original saga.

While i had my Vidar in for repair this winter I noticed the replacement class D amp received way more coloration from the tube buffer then Vidar did. Im not sure if this is the result of input impedance, 22k ohms (Vidar) vs 5.2k ohms (class D cheapie), or input sensitivity 1.27 V vs 300ish mv.

Anyone here have any insight? I've spent a bunch of time on the internet, but still haven't completely answered my question, or I'm too dumb to understand the answers I've already read.

I'm trying to justify Asgard 2, but don't really want it, if I'm going to get very little flavoring out of the saga tubes. Or else I should move up to Freya S.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #47,454 of 150,700
As I just told some good friends I always dream about bananas. Mostly yellow but other colours too.
Then I wake up and find Constanza staring at me from a 1cm distance, mouth half open and purring like a diesel engine.

I will try to divert my dreams to a preview of the coming schiitr-meet and report on my experiences.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #47,455 of 150,700
Ive been thinking about a older Bifrost Uber AKM4399 chip vs a Modi Multi-bit for around the same price. Any suggestions when it comes to direction i could go into? I listen to mostly Jazz of many genres.

Jun 11, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #47,456 of 150,700
Ive been thinking about a older Bifrost Uber AKM4399 chip vs a Modi Multi-bit for around the same price. Any suggestions when it comes to direction i could go into? I listen to mostly Jazz of many genres.

I’ve owned both Bifrost 4490 and multibit in the past and currently own Modi multibit.
I would vote for Modi MB

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #47,459 of 150,700
Oh, sorry. I thought that it was LAST Friday, not this coming Friday...........
In that case, I gather they have an Aegir mono setup; I’d love to hear impressions of those puppies driving their Kef LS50s; good enough? Or go with Vidars—and yes, I know the theoretical answer!

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #47,460 of 150,700
Ah yeah, that's right
tangentially reminds me of a conversation we had about *edit* me not hearing the difference between "stuit" and "stout" (she told me only stuit becomes stuiteren or something like that)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back