1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Ultimateaudioslave
    Mani 2. :p

yonson, Gazny, Mike-WI and 2 others like this.
  2. Delirious Lab
    That would make so much sense, then we'd have a complete TT system released within a few weeks:

Sol → (Mani 2 or - why not? - a bigger, balanced phono stage) → (your pick of Rag 2 or T'dome pre + Aegir)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Rensek, mp29k and Snowpuppy77 like this.
  3. Rensek
    Any chance you'd share how many you hope to have in stock before release, and how many you can produce in a day? That kind of stuff interests me.

50, 100, 200, 500, 1000 in stock? 10, 20, 40 a day?

Alcophone likes this.
  4. Derrick Swart
    June is gonna be BIG in terms of turnover :beerchug: ( cost too I suppose :ksc75smile: )

5. Derrick Swart
    that was the name of my cat when i was a boy (manitoe)
    Ai, now you guys you know i am a cat person

6. Les Strat
    Jason

These new Freya preamps look great!

I'll now have to decide between a Freya+ and Freya S!
    Tough decision.:smile_phones: The + offers more options, so it probably makes sense to pay the slightly higher price compared with the S.
    Something in the specs baffled me though- why are the distortion figures better for the S than + when operating no gain?

I look forward to hearing about the proposed CD transport- which is the main reason I'll need a preamp.

7. Charente
    Must be time for a UNISON based product ... BiFrost Unison by my reckoning ... but I've been wrong before ... all the time !!

8. Ripper2860
    Capture.JPG

ScubaMan2017, thebmc and Rensek like this.
  9. Rensek
    Would the bigger balanced phono stage have to be a Nexus based phono stage? From the looks of it SOL is SE only right?

10. Derrick Swart
    How many TTs are balanced?

11. Ripper2860
    How many phono cartridges have balanced output?

12. jimmers
    I like to know these kind of things too. :nerd:

I have KEF LS50 speakers and it seems many people here, other sites, reviewers and Shiitrs have them too, so I very politely asked KEF UK approximately how many they had sold so far and on my second asking they said "thousands", well I'd kinda guessed that already, that's why I was curious - must be a trade secret or summat :zipper_mouth:

Maybe a FOI request will get it :spy:

Alcophone and Rensek like this.
  13. jimmers
    Depending on your definition of "balanced" most have, they have 4 contacts, 'hot' and 'cold' for each channel, although I seem to remember Baldr disagreeing with this somewhat and some arm or plinth wiring connects the colds together to unbalance the signals for RCA outs. :thinking:
    (e.g. Rega 'earth' the left channel 'cold')

edit: link to Baldr -
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-108#post-13156090

and his previous post

audio philestine and Alcophone like this.
  14. johnjen
    Well technically, it's just a coil and a coil is balanced to itself.
    And technically a true 'balanced' circuit is supposed to be relative to ground and for a coil that requires a center tap, so again technically they aren't nor can they meet the definition of a balanced circuit.
    So one side of the coil is grounded in most user conditions (ie SE into the pre-amp).

But as a source, the coil is balanced to itself, it's what happens next (ie. what it's plugged into) that makes it SE etc.

JJ

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Paladin79 and thebmc like this.
  15. Paladin79
    A well thought out answer since moving magnet cartridges also have coils.