Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #46,171 of 149,271
Seriously guys, just enjoy your gear, whether ours or others, with or without warmup. This is supposed to be a friggin' hobby. Last time I checked, hobbies were to be enjoyed. If you aren't enjoying it, switch to stamp collecting or something.
Touche' - My experience with the Modi3 was initially very positive, after an hour of warmup, loudly proclaiming to my deaf wife I'd made a "great purchase decision". I then spent the following week mentally A/B-ing with familiar and loved music.... Of course the Modi in the course of "burn-in" sounded "better and better....." (further justifying my wisdom). I'm running volume a bit higher that normal, and she certainly noticed *that* (most deaf are not entirely deaf, and nearly all have physical sensitivities to musics the rest of us cannot appreciate).

So when did mental A/B mode end? Schiit, I don't know .... I'm just enjoying my system, scratch that, my *music* more than before. Cynthia still thinks it's "too loud" - she's probably right

/john

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #46,172 of 149,271
MRI machines have a lot of other temperature-control needs -- very sensitive electronics in the neighborhood of a liquid-helium-filled cryostat -- and they cost megabucks, so I doubt that their DAC chips are sitting there at the mercy of room temperature...

Yeah, I doubt it too, considering a person's life could depend on it. My comment was made in jest regarding the affirmation by some guys about the chip's crappy performance when it's powered and the need of an insane amount of time in order to get the best of it.

But I'm not going to touch the subject again, it seems a good amount of people here think it's too controversial? (for me, discussing stuff like this is part of the fun of a forum, but whatever) :)

Regards.

May 3, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #46,173 of 149,271
Yggdrasil, both A1 and A2, are definitely different from original Bifrost Multibit, which I've owned too. I'd say that after the initial long break-in, you'll need a 2-3 days after a shutdown to cold for them to sound their best. I leave my A2 on unless we are leaving the house empty for a long trip, in which case all the electronics are turned off.
Admit it..... The only reason you turn off the power to the YGGY is that you don't want it to feel cold and lonely while you are away......................:ksc75smile:

btw, do you put out the cat before leaving.............?:k701smile:

May 3, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #46,174 of 149,271
Yeah, I doubt it too, considering a person's life could depend on it. My comment was made in jest regarding the affirmation by some guys about the chip's crappy performance when it's powered and the need of an insane amount of time in order to get the best of it.

But I'm not going to touch the subject again, it seems a good amount of people here think it's too controversial? (for me, discussing stuff like this is part of the fun of a forum, but whatever) :)

Regards.

MRI machines have a lot of other temperature-control needs -- very sensitive electronics in the neighborhood of a liquid-helium-filled cryostat -- and they cost megabucks, so I doubt that their DAC chips are sitting there at the mercy of room temperature...

I'm not an MRI technician or anything, but I do know that MRI machines need liquid nitrogen replenished and I suspected left "on" continuously.
Also, many sites are using MRI scanners perhaps not 24 hours per day but more than an 8 or 12 hour day to increase yield on the fixed costs of using a machine.
With an MRI you are not using up materials (like a PET/CT scan or a nuclear medicine scan).

Googled this...
(red added)

Magnetic field off - Questions and Answers in MRI
mriquestions.com/is-field-ever-turned-off.html

Permanent magnet scanners are permanently "on" by definition.
Resistive electromagnet scanners, in theory, can be turned on and off.
However, it may take 30-60 minutes for their magnetic fields to stabilize after being off and hence they are generally left continuously on during daily operations.

May 3, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #46,175 of 149,271
any guesses on what would be the 4 other products schiit is going to release next?

May 3, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #46,176 of 149,271
any guesses on what would be the 4 other products schiit is going to release next?
Not sure.

Found this...

10 year Baldr plan

2018 Oct 19
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-622#post-14547328

So all of this Schiit is being worked on – should come out in this order:
1. Sol.
2. Transport
3. That which cannot be uttered.
4. Music processor/Swiss Army Knife/DAC front end; Hell, I don’t know What to call it.
Stay tuned – I hope to finish the ten year plan in five! It is good to be back!

May 3, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #46,177 of 149,271
But, it is not hogwash.....
Of course it is. Sure a certain temp is ideal but not realistic in my world (I think if it was really important the designer would have build the chips into an oven). I strongly doubt i can hear the difference with an Yggdrasil 1 day on and one that is 3 days on. But I agree with Ableza, if it makes peoples (i love to say that) happy; it did me for a while but without supporting electricity companies i am just as happy. The 75 euro's i save in two years gives me other pleasures.

May 3, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #46,179 of 149,271
Mr. Stoddard uses a LED to bias the output transistors of the Coaster amp.
If you look at the photo of the Valhalla PCB you will see a transistor and resistors near the amber LED, that's what has me thinking it is for a constant current plate load. :sunglasses:
Thank you @jimmers . That makes sense! @Scott Kramer & @barondla ... you appear to be familiar with this too. Fair enough. I got my answer. Thanks, eh. BTW, I kludged together a 12 VDC computer-fan beside the toy. It's gently blowing into the chassis' steel holes, promoting convection cooling. And looking bush-league. I'm enjoying this Valhalla 2. It's shmooooth. :ksc75smile:

May 3, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #46,180 of 149,271
... switch to stamp collecting ...

I inherited my father's stamp collection when he died, have no idea what to do with it. Anybody interested?
There's possibly $100K of unobtainium in there :)

May 3, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #46,181 of 149,271
We enjoy it, Mike, otherwise we wouldn’t be here. Can you set the record straight, though? Should we expect the sound to change on your DACs over an extended period? 1-2 hours, 1-2 weeks, 1-2 months? Longer? 1-2 hours makes sense. Longer than that seems like a design flaw that makes me not want to consider DACs beyond the Bimby I own. Bimby stabilizes within an hour, like any other hifi gear I’ve ever owned. The claims that Gumby and Yggy keep improving across months and years (which is what many of your users claim with a straight face, and actually get touchy when questioned) really stretch the realms of credibility. So as the designer, what say you?! I’ll eat crow if you can honestly say that is a reasonable expectation.
Dead horse. If you think it changes then it does. To you. Live your life, enjoy the music.

My Yggdrasil is thermally stable after about an hour. I leave it on most of the time just because it's what Mike said was best practice. To my ears, it does not "continue to change." YMMV

May 3, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #46,182 of 149,271
My 2 cents. 4 Unison USB™ multibit boards for Mimby, Bimby, Gumby and Yggy.

May 3, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #46,183 of 149,271
I am really anxious to find out what Unison offers us. More transparency, better error correction, better timing, jitter reduction, etc? I will probably buy one for Bifrost MB, but beyond it being a new USB protocol created and owned by Schiit, I am not clear on the intended benefits.

May 3, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #46,184 of 149,271
Dead horse. If you think it changes then it does. To you. Live your life, enjoy the music.

My Yggdrasil is thermally stable after about an hour. I leave it on most of the time just because it's what Mike said was best practice. To my ears, it does not "continue to change." YMMV

I think we want to hear improvements over an extended period of time to re-affirm our purchase decision. I had some experience with a High End cable manufacturer whose design incorporates permanent magnets in the cable. I was was told first 72-hours were needed to break-in. Then 200-hours and another reviewer was told they 'came into Song" only after 800-hours.
Okay.
By definition a permanent magnet is considered "permanent" if it loses less than 1% of its magnetic power after 10,000 years (Quoting the same source who was told 800-hours). My very perceptive BS-radar was flicking to life.

If a permanent magnet is the source of the improvement, then will not the improvement be on-going for the next 10 millenium?

Amazingly, when those tests and trials were over, a friend on this forum sent me a pair of high-quality Belden cables, with spades and bananas, and no magnets. And I have to admit, they sounded great on power-up and have continued to sound good to this day.

By putting the on-off power switch in the back of their components, it is difficult to turn off the Modi MB, and it runs 24/7, as does the Wyrd for the same reason. The Valhalla sits atop the Schiit Brickhouse, and I do turn it off when changing tubes.:astonished::dizzy_face::rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #46,185 of 149,271
If I understood Stoddard's post correctly; he said they will only offer a new interface update if and only if they think it is worth the extra money u pay. That means they have a new interface; it is not good enough yet. :p So may be not in the current lot of 4. :p I will be happily wrong tho'. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back