Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #46,112 of 150,558
Yes, Mike says the DAC chips need to be temp stable to sound best. Some of you claim that takes 2 months, which stretches credibility to the max.

Exactly, specially when the DAC chip is also used (supposedly) for medical purposes.

Does that mean the MRI needs to be turned on two months prior to the moment it will be used, otherwise the results will be like "Hey, don't worry you don't have a tumor in your brain" when in reality the poor guy was indeed suffering from that? What would be the excuse from the docs? "Ooops, sorry... the DAC wasn't warmed up enough"?

May 2, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #46,113 of 150,558
Exactly, specially when the DAC chip is also used (supposedly) for medical purposes.

Does that mean the MRI needs to be turned on two months prior to the moment it will be used, otherwise the results will be like "Hey, don't worry you don't have a tumor in your brain" when in reality the poor guy was indeed suffering from that? What would be the excuse from the docs? "Ooops, sorry... the DAC wasn't warmed up enough"?
LOL. every instrument has its resolution limitation I think. We are looking for that snare on a drum to decay slowly. That kind of resolution is little too much to ask from a MRI machine. It gives you a black and white 2D image; which is (I think; and I am not an expert here) created from multiple exposure from different perspectives. So, basic physics might be same on what the chips are doing but the expectation is different. And dont take me wrong out of the box Yggy 2 sounds superb. Just that it does not have that sweetness and real-ness (if I may say) that it will reach after 2 months. If you have a revealing enough system (headphone specially) you will certainly notice if you are a connoisseur.

May 2, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #46,114 of 150,558
So I thought @mp29k and @Oveja Negra were joking about people thinking dacs will continue to sound better for up to two month after being turned on..... @Ultimateaudioslave shows me they weren't.

Interesting thing, the internet. All that matters is you like how your gear sounds.

I recently spent some money on Zu Audio Libtec speaker cables on eBay. 90ish bucks for a set of 8ft cables 11ga, multiple conductor, mix of ofc and silver coated ofc, fancy pants construction with Teflon and other stuff. Copper spades. They look great, very well made. I think they sound great as well. Maybe it's my head wanting the cables to reveal more then my Amazon basics 14 ga, maybe they actually do. I agree with @Ableza that cables only carry and try to preserve what the source gives. They don't add anything to the sound. So I went down some rabbit holes trying to determine why I heard more then before. After a bit I gave up and just decided to roll with what I'm now hearing.

I turn my Mimby, Saga, and Vidar on before I read my kid a bedtime story and tuck em in. I don't know how much of an impact it has. But when I sit down to relax I don't have to wait for the startup.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #46,115 of 150,558
I have no idea.
I think it is one of those things where we go beyond the necessary. I hear a very little difference too with warm equipment but not worth it to me and the environment to keep things always on so long. I stopped keeping my DAC always on (never kept my power amps always on) and can tell you that i am just as happy with the sound

May 2, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #46,116 of 150,558
... And dont take me wrong out of the box Yggy 2 sounds superb. Just that it does not have that sweetness and real-ness (if I may say) that it will reach after 2 months. If you have a revealing enough system (headphone specially) you will certainly notice if you are a connoisseur.

The psychology of this makes me giggle. Basically, you are creating confirmation bias by stating unless you are a connoisseur you might not hear it. Who is going to admit, or will want to admit to not being a connoisseur after spending $2400 on a DAC. I have to say, if this rumor about Yggy is true, it definitely makes me NOT want one. I have needed to unplug my Bimby out of necessity a few times, and if I had to wait 2 months for it to come back to it's "best self", then I would not be a happy camper.

May 2, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #46,117 of 150,558
Audiophooles, err, PHILES, do all sorts of things that are not based in science. If it makes them happy then more power to them.

May 2, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #46,118 of 150,558
May 2, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #46,120 of 150,558

LOL.

May 2, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #46,121 of 150,558
Thank you for that sage wisdom. You have added so much to the discussion here. Nice work.

About as much as you have added with your comments....I just took a lot less words!

May 2, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #46,122 of 150,558
LOL. every instrument has its resolution limitation I think. We are looking for that snare on a drum to decay slowly. That kind of resolution is little too much to ask from a MRI machine. It gives you a black and white 2D image; which is (I think; and I am not an expert here) created from multiple exposure from different perspectives. So, basic physics might be same on what the chips are doing but the expectation is different. And dont take me wrong out of the box Yggy 2 sounds superb. Just that it does not have that sweetness and real-ness (if I may say) that it will reach after 2 months. If you have a revealing enough system (headphone specially) you will certainly notice if you are a connoisseur.

There are still places in the US that you can't go two whole months before suffering a power outage. :triportsad:

It makes a UPS mandatory if you have Yggy, I guess.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #46,123 of 150,558
A lot of good comments. Both have start ups for the dsp. The multi-bit DAC chips need to heat up to their ideal operating tempature per spec. And everyone likes their shiit:k701smile:.

I'm still trying to comprehend dac upgrades in the
Schiit line. I recently acquired cd's and wanted to remove some of the artifacts I can hear :ear: in complex music. I was thinking a dac upgrade could give me better results.

May 2, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #46,125 of 150,558
The psychology of this makes me giggle. Basically, you are creating confirmation bias by stating unless you are a connoisseur you might not hear it. Who is going to admit, or will want to admit to not being a connoisseur after spending $2400 on a DAC. I have to say, if this rumor about Yggy is true, it definitely makes me NOT want one. I have needed to unplug my Bimby out of necessity a few times, and if I had to wait 2 months for it to come back to it's "best self", then I would not be a happy camper.

I agree. People are biased. I am biased too. But I have asked my wife also. She says the drum sounds real more than anything she has ever heard. She is not an audiophile. We were watching netflix; I love this David attenborough guy; at one place the dolphins were talking or singing or some crap like that. My LS50s made sounds so real, I thought my speaker went bad. I used to use my Emotiva pre-amp DAC before for tv (which is very good; hence I never felt liek connecting my audiophile syustem to it; heck I was wrong) . I can confirm I have never heard anything like that. Then it is upto your choice. Go listen to someone who has a yaggy. I always say that is my best audio purchase so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back